A118 installation as rear cam

NDAUTO

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hello,

Has anyone of you tried installing A118 as a rear camera? I was thinking of installing a car accessory socket at the back so you don't really need to hardwire the dashcam like shown in the picture attached? What do you guys think? Good idea?

Thanks for your feedback =)

Attachments

• Photo 7-29-15, 12 14 33 PM.jpg
    Photo 7-29-15, 12 14 33 PM.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for the reply jokiin. Yes i think A118 quality is not so good when windshield is heavily tinted. But for those high end dual channel dashcams, the quality of their rear camera also suffers due to dark tint right?
I think its still hard to find a cheaper alternative for a dual dashcam that can perform at least at an average level.

My rear window is factory tinted enough that you can barely see anything in the back if you look in from outside. The camera records at night, but the picture isn't the best:

Fortunately, I rarely drive at night anyway.

Works fine during the day:

BTW, I finally set the correct date on it, but seems the two cameras won't stay in sync. I presume I'd need to install the GPS addon to get accurate time.

Last edited:
I notice the metallic security grid is attached with screws. Might it not be possible to paint it flat black to avoid the reflections you get between the glass and the grid?
yes, probably, but i think that's a company van, not his, so he can't make a permanent modification like that.

yes, probably, but i think that's a company van, not his, so he can't make a permanent modification like that.

Yes, I was wondering about that but the camera install made me consider that it might be a van associated with a personal business so I suggested it. What the heck?

Yes, I was wondering about that but the camera install made me consider that it might be a van associated with a personal business so I suggested it. What the heck?
true, no harm in it. he could always put black tape or something on the metal grate, but that would be tedious, and he'd have to do both doors to make it look normal from the outside.

OOOH - hey chris - what about Plasti-Dip? that peels off pretty easily!

Black grates would look better and increase visibility through the rear glass for the driver as well as the camera. Maybe the boss would approve? :)

I do not want to do any DiY on the van's grid. Quality of recording is acceptable and license plates can be read anyway.

@Gabacho! Hello!!

hi chris-s! thanks for the vid. Now I have an idea how to install the A118C as a rear cam. I plan to use a 12V-5V adaptor with mini usb for easier installation. Hope the wires are long enough though. Cheers!:)

If you have radio aerials in the glass of the rear window, make sure the camera is not positioned over them or it will cause interference on the radio.

Back