A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

Hey guys, I am debating about buying this, but it stated that GPS was optional, but is there an attachment that is sold separately or what? I cannot find any information on this.

I just received my A118 from Foxoffer and was super excited to test it out...but then I realized the mount was missing from the box.
I am extremely disappointed. I just sent them a message and I'm hoping to hear back soon.

Has anyone ran across a similar problem? What's the turnaround time?

I'm debating if I should just ship this back and buy one from Amazon (I'm hoping it's authentic and they have fast shipping).

It just sucks waiting this long to get this dashcam and not being able to use it. :(

You can use some personal adhesive to mount the A118 on the windscreen without the mount. Just put multiple layers of adhesive.

I'm sure that Foxoffer will send you the missing mount quickly.

I've got 2 pieces of A118, in the first package the 3M adhesive was missing but the second one was complete.

I can't remember if my mount was loose in the box or mounted on the cam. I'm sure it was mounted. Is the mount side of your cam recessed, ie., where the mount fits? If the mount side of the cam is flat then the mount is fitted and just slides off with a bit of pressure.

You can use some personal adhesive to mount the A118 on the windscreen without the mount. Just put multiple layers of adhesive.

I'm sure that Foxoffer will send you the missing mount quickly.

I've got 2 pieces of A118, in the first package the 3M adhesive was missing but the second one was complete.

I don't want to mount the actual unit to the windshield because I don't want to leave it in my car all the time.

I can't remember if my mount was loose in the box or mounted on the cam. I'm sure it was mounted. Is the mount side of your cam recessed, ie., where the mount fits? If the mount side of the cam is flat then the mount is fitted and just slides off with a bit of pressure.

Here is a picture of all the items that were in the box and a close up of the cam itself.

campic.jpg

20140714_100234.jpg

Ah well! It was just a thought, but you're right - no mount.

As you're not mounting it to the screen I'm wondering what you have in mind for mounting. Presumably a quick & convenient release facility, and that's what the mount is. Stick it to the screen (when you get it), offer the cam up, plug the power in and slide it into position. Do reverse to remove. Couldn't be easier.

I leave mine in the car all the time because the mount is stuck to the black sun screen mesh by the mirror mount with the lens just showing below the mesh. It looks like it's part of the vehicle. I suppose it depends on how visible it is outside the car and the area you park in.

Ah well! It was just a thought, but you're right - no mount.

As you're not mounting it to the screen I'm wondering what you have in mind for mounting. Presumably a quick & convenient release facility, and that's what the mount is. Stick it to the screen (when you get it), offer the cam up, plug the power in and slide it into position. Do reverse to remove. Couldn't be easier.

I leave mine in the car all the time because the mount is stuck to the black sun screen mesh by the mirror mount with the lens just showing below the mesh. It looks like it's part of the vehicle. I suppose it depends on how visible it is outside the car and the area you park in.

Ahh, I meant that I didn't want to put the cam itself on the windshield as chris-s had suggested. Because if I did that it would be rather difficult to remove it.
I bought the cam for my job for some extra security and I go to university too. I am there literally 12+ hours a day and I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it in my car for that long so being able to remove it is a must.

Foxoffer asked for a picture of the contents of the box and I sent them the images I posted. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

If somoone has this English manual for this A118/B40 Car camera for reference?Thanks!

You are a nice man! Really appreciated!!

got mine today from spytec. came with a RiData 32gb microsd card. i noticed while going thru the menus that it has GPS on/off in there as if GPS was already working and a normal thing. i left it off since i don't have a gps mouse accessory. that said, i see that foxoffer sells like 3 different GPS mice - which one is the right one?

also the manual says something about playback mode - how do you actually get to playback mode?

The GPS module isn't released for the A118 yet.

got mine today from spytec. came with a RiData 32gb microsd card. i noticed while going thru the menus that it has GPS on/off in there as if GPS was already working and a normal thing. i left it off since i don't have a gps mouse accessory. that said, i see that foxoffer sells like 3 different GPS mice - which one is the right one?

also the manual says something about playback mode - how do you actually get to playback mode?

well i played with the cam a little more today - figured out how to toggle between video cam, still cam and playback mode: turn on camera. stop recording if it's recording. press MIC button to cycle through modes.

not exactly the most intuitive, but at least it's there. then again when you have so few buttons to work with...

will probably try to mount it in the van later tonight and go for a drive to test it out. i don't plan on using the power cord that came with it; instead i'll be using a hardwire kit sold for the mini 0801. i expect it'll be fine, since it's mini-usb, and claims it can provide 1.2A, while the power cord that came with the A118 says it only provides 1A. not worried about the current difference - the camera will only pull as much current as it needs. would be a problem if the cam drew more current than the power supply could provide, but since that's not the case, i'm not worried.

that looks like all 3 of those gps antennas, as well as a lot of sirius/xm antennas. i know the guts can be different of course, but the overall appearance looks pretty much the same. here's hoping the gps unit doesn't need too much current so we don't need to upgrade the power adapter.

It's different
well, yeah. obviously. otherwise foxoffer wouldn't sell 3 different ones if they were all the same.

any idea what the a118 gps addon will cost once it's ready? just a ballpark figure... i don't expect an exact price yet. just wondering if it'll be more like 20 or 50 usd.

installed last night in my wife's 2008 toyota sienna. the wire cover was almost the perfect length considering how large the dot grid is between the visors, but i did cut it a little shorter at the skinny end. if the camera itself wasn't so thick and thus so close to the back of the mirror (it touches the camera at some angles) it would look like a factory piece. i could have mounted it on the right side of the mirror but then it would be more difficult to take out the SD card since the arm of the mirror would be in the way, and since both my wife and i tend to grab the right side of the mirror when adjusting it, we would end up hitting the camera with our hands every time.

that said, this morning when we got in the car, the camera was dangling by the wire. the adhesive on the main mount (thin gray 3m tape - looked to be about 1mm thick) is no good and will have to be replaced. the adhesive on the wire cover part seems fine, but then it's not really holding much weight at all and is also partially supported by the front edge of the headliner. minor gripe, really, but worth mentioning. i may also take a razor blade to the black dots to try and shave them down, or at least rough them up so they'll be more receptive to adhesive. the tape i already have is also gray 3m but it's at least twice as thick as what came with the camera, so maybe it'll press into the dots better... will let you all know.

i did shoot some video with it last night and it captures pretty much exactly what i can see with my eyes, even on roads with no overhead lighting. wife was impressed once i showed her the footage, and that's the main point since it's her car. once i get some new tape and put it back up right i'll try to post a pic or two in the install thread, and maybe post some sample video to youtube, since night footage with no street lights at all is quite different from driving into a well-lit tunnel (no offense). i did notice that even though the sky was almost completely black, the camera gave the sky a faint blue glow.

Back