A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

The fact is that dashcams which have "motion detection" are cheap and this feature does not work well.
Seems to be different with dashcams that have "parking mode" feature.
But I can be wrong :D

The fact is that dashcams which have "motion detection" are cheap and this feature does not work well.
Seems to be different with dashcams that have "parking mode" feature.
But I can be wrong :D

well motion detect is a feature of cheap and dear cams, it's a questionable feature if not for parking mode though, in the cheaper cams it's not effective at all really, not in my experience at least

Right more questions

Different card (still sandisk) is not locking up (just once but that is a massive improvement) - but now reviewing footage - every so often I get a 257kb file and that minute is unplayable and lost? But I have found 30-40 secs or so of that footage in the RO folder. So it seems to create a corrupt file befoew moving to the RO. Now I have sensitivity turned off, which I thought turned it off - but reading perhaps it turns sensitivity off but leaves the g-sensor on?

New samsung cards have arrived so will try them -- any other thoughts in the mean time?

what's the point of motion detect if not for parking?

So, motion detection what does this mean for you?
if the camera detects motion in front of her and record this event?

i don't have one of these cameras yet, but from what i understand, motion detect is a very badly implemented version of parking mode. it waits till it sees motion and THEN starts recording, so it probably misses what you actually wanted to see, thus rendering it completely worthless.

a proper parking mode should be recording all the time, and only keep things where it sees motion, and preferably, a few seconds leading up to that motion. this mode of operation takes a lot more battery, and requires the camera to get power 24/7, as well as a key-switched power feed, so it can start normal recording when the car is turned on. A118 doesn't have that.

it's kinda like that stupid fad of putting infrared LEDs on cameras and trying to market it as night vision. sure, it might work for a camera pointing at the interior of the car, but it won't let you see any better outside at night. WDR/HDR are better for that, and cameras like the G1W and A118 which have WDR/HDR don't have IR LEDs.

i don't have one of these cameras yet, but from what i understand, motion detect is a very badly implemented version of parking mode. it waits till it sees motion and THEN starts recording, so it probably misses what you actually wanted to see, thus rendering it completely worthless.

this is not a 'this camera' problem, it's how most of these cameras behave

a proper parking mode should be recording all the time, and only keep things where it sees motion, and preferably, a few seconds leading up to that motion. this mode of operation takes a lot more battery, and requires the camera to get power 24/7, as well as a key-switched power feed, so it can start normal recording when the car is turned on. A118 doesn't have that.

partly correct, regardless they need to be powered constantly and from the vehicle, the internal batteries are only intended for file save and shutdown, if you want to have parking mode the best option is a camera with no internal battery

Gibson 99 you're right.
I have the A118, there is no motion detection, and I think that's the only minus the Camera

must be something to do with your firmware version not having this function
function is available to enable and is enabled and is not recording.
version B40.20140523.001

ok, so you mean you have it on but it's not working as you want, that's different

but this function it doesn't work, sometimes the devices have additional features, that don't work.

Is there a recommended G-mouse for this yet?

Guys,

Please tell me how does "delayed shutdown" work on A118 - is it there?

I had few different dashcams and it looked differently even on G1W ver. 2013 and G1W ver. 214 (probably different firmware).
On G1w (2013) there wasn't such option on menu, camera just turned off after about 10s when ignition is off. But it also created an issue, when during a boot of a camera, ignition was tuned to "off" position: after successful start up (of a camera) it did not record and when cranking starter one more time it shut down *(as power was removed).
On G1w (2014) which I'm using right now, there is an solution for this - I just set delayed shutdown for 30s and even when power is removed during booting or after that everything is fine and camera really needs 30s of power outage to turn itself off.

How does it work on A118 then? I didn't see this option during presentation. Has anything changed?

auto shutdown in the menu is for when the camera is idle and not recording, it's not to do with the shutdown at power off

I'm not talking about auto shutdown, but delayed shutdown which is something different.

Back