A119 Stop Recording, Only Show VIOFO logo on screen

It does look easy to attempt your simplified repair procedure except ...
I wouldn't recommend any Retailer telling customers to splice solder long leads or surface solder a weak joint on wrong-side in any device exposed to excessive vibrations and possible short circuit in a plastic housing running in Parking Mode over night without extra liability insurance. Always solder wired components on opposite side of circuit board for added strength and minimal wire exposure risk. I've found a few used DVRs with extremely bad solder joints, no need to inflate the issue.
just my observation, nothing personal.
Not sure what your talking about. Never said any of that. I said tilt the board up 90 degrees. There is no need to completely remove the board from the camera. I have replaced a few caps on these cameras has never had to remove the board, splice any wires or solder anything on the wrong side. Unscrew the board, tilt it up (allows access to the rear of the board), unsolder the bad cap, cut the leads on the new caps to the proper length and solder them back into the same holes on the board. No shorts. No splices. No soldering the wrong side.

suggested replacement = two Panasonic FM 3300uF 6.3volt Radial Electrolytic Capacitors [-or-] two Panasonic FM 3300uF 10volt (don't go higher than 16volts, they also get thicker)
try to find them locally but always available on eBay or Amazon.
I'll have them in hands before my next caps replacement. Thanks a lot!!

Unscrew the board,
that's what you forgot to mention in your post.
biggrin.gif
I replaced my caps exactly as you described - with the lens and the GPS hanging from sides. the next time I'll unplug the cables for sure, it will simplify the job and save time.
some people might use a brief description as a "how to do it" procedure.
shok.gif

that's what you forgot to mention in your post.
biggrin.gif

some people might use a brief description as a "how to do it" procedure.
shok.gif
My post said to tilt the board up 90 degrees. Not sure how you would do that without unscrewing it. No need to physically disconnect everything and remove the board.

My post said to tilt the board up 90 degrees. Not sure how you would do that without unscrewing it. No need to physically disconnect everything and remove the board.
my mistake interpreting your procedure, there are several posts long ago about splicing in replacement Caps and that stuck in my mind. I was kind of shocked you'd mention such a risky method, but in fact you didn't. Keep up the good advice and great support.

Well guys,I have been missing from the forum for a while,but here I am again: after almost 2 years of flawlessly working A119 first edition,today I am stucked on logo,tried new SD cards with no results,flashing new or old firmware,factory reset and everything else thinkable with the same result:Stuck on Logo.Any more Ideas???

Well guys,I have been missing from the forum for a while,but here I am again: after almost 2 years of flawlessly working A119 first edition,today I am stucked on logo,tried new SD cards with no results,flashing new or old firmware,factory reset and everything else thinkable with the same result:Stuck on Logo.Any more Ideas???
Have you tried to reseat the image sensor ribbon cable into the board?

have you tried to power up the camera without the card?

Yes,that was the first movement.I am now 100% convinced that motherboard is very dead...:eek:
do you use it with or without a GPS? I think mine failed because of a GPS module, because when I mounted my second camera on that GPS I saw the same thing afterwords - just a logo on a screen, but I got lucky - my second camera somehow recovered after a number of flashing / re-flashing the firmware and reseating the ribbon cable that connects the lens to a board.

Yes,that was the first movement.I am now 100% convinced that motherboard is very dead...:eek:
you still have a chance to recover it, don't give up. mine somehow recovered even without a hardware reset.

Last edited:
@
BCHobbyist:
do you know any tricks to troubleshoot the camera screen? seems like on my dead camera the power button still works despite there is no lights on any buttons.

@
BCHobbyist:
do you know any tricks to troubleshoot the camera screen? seems like on my dead camera the power button still works despite there is no lights on any buttons.
yes, see previous post 2 mins ago ;-)

if there are signs of life it should reload the firmware, give it a go, nothing to lose

Back