A119 type with GPS/Traffic has horrible 2 Meter HAM radio noise!

Rapidrob

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119 + GPS
VIOFO A119 type with add on GPS / Live traffic piggy-back device.
I've been using my camera for several years now with very good usage and quality of images.
I just installed a HAM radio for 2-Meters and found after a lot of trouble shooting, the dashcam is producing a massive amount of RFI noise. So much so,the radios squelch has to be turned way up making the radio almost unusable.
I think the noise in is the 12 volt to 5 volt DC converter in the camera. I contacted VIOFO support and the CHI-COMs responded blaming the 2-Meter Radio for the noise!
I have the same radio in other vehicles and FRI is not an issue. The other vehicles have other maker cameras in them.
I've tried torroids and ferrites as well wrapping the tinfoil and grounding the camera to no avail.
Have any of you noticed this issue as well and found a cure for the RFI noise? Or did you buy a different camera?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the noise in is the 12 volt to 5 volt DC converter in the camera.
The camera doesn't have a 12 to 5 volt converter, it is in the lighter socket adaptor, or hardwire kit if you have one, so you could try powering the camera from a USB battery bank just to see if the problem is in the camera or in the adaptor. Some adaptors are quite noisy, Viofo ones are normally OK, but may not have been tested well for your frequencies. If the problem is the adaptor then the A119 will run off almost any decent adaptor, just make sure it is outputting 5 volts.

Back