A119 V2 GPS dead

Gamma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought the Boblov Viofo A119 about 2 months ago and fitted it to our car onto its GPS mount powered through the mount using the supplied cig lighter cable.
The unit worked perfectly for just over the month, about 6 days over its return warranty. The SD card is a Lexmark 633x 32 go class 10 formatted in the cam. I did quite a lot of research before purchasing this cam. I am working overseas. My wife told me that the cam warned her that sd card needs formatting, she did nothing at that point but drove home (15 minute drive)
She unplugged the cam and plugged it into our computer to format the card in the cam.
Nothing happened, no power nothing. I asked her to try back in the car on the original cable but not through the gps mount. Nothing, no power, no lights nothing.
She then tried a standard USB charger for a phone and iPad, same result nothing. Except at one point the screen was warm to the touch. She tried without the sd card installed and also while I instructed her, she pushed the reset. Nothing. She then purchased another sd card. Nothing.
So now we are stuck with ideas. I have ordered x 2 super capacitors, 2.7v 3.3f, so that when I get home I can have a look inside.
Anybody got any other ideas that she could try?

I can't offer a technical solution, but surely you have warranty beyond 60 days. The return period for change of mind might be less, but surely the product warranty is at least 12 months, if not more.

The supplier can say what they like about returns and warranty, but consumer law cannot be undermined by feeble warranties offered. I don't know where you're located, but you have an amazing grasp of English, so I'd guess you're protected by UK/European law. FWIW I bought three Boblov A119 cameras from Amazon UK and I'd take up any claims with Amazon if I had a problem. If you bought from eBay you might have protection from PayPal.

Last edited:
Put the firmware on the card and try a firmware update. Before this you can try to update the loader, too, it is safe to update it.

enjoy,
Mtz

I bought the Boblov Viofo A119 about 2 months ago and fitted it to our car onto its GPS mount powered through the mount using the supplied cig lighter cable.
The unit worked perfectly for just over the month, about 6 days over its return warranty. The SD card is a Lexmark 633x 32 go class 10 formatted in the cam. I did quite a lot of research before purchasing this cam. I am working overseas. My wife told me that the cam warned her that sd card needs formatting, she did nothing at that point but drove home (15 minute drive)
She unplugged the cam and plugged it into our computer to format the card in the cam.
Nothing happened, no power nothing. I asked her to try back in the car on the original cable but not through the gps mount. Nothing, no power, no lights nothing.
She then tried a standard USB charger for a phone and iPad, same result nothing. Except at one point the screen was warm to the touch. She tried without the sd card installed and also while I instructed her, she pushed the reset. Nothing. She then purchased another sd card. Nothing.
So now we are stuck with ideas. I have ordered x 2 super capacitors, 2.7v 3.3f, so that when I get home I can have a look inside.
Anybody got any other ideas that she could try?
I agree, this is a faulty cam. Corrupted firmware should not display this type of behaviour. Is more likely to be faulty Super caps or a power supply issue, somewhere inside the cam or on the PC board. In any case this should be up to the seller to solve the issue for you under warranty.

Thanks for the answers guys.
We live in Scotland, but I am working in the Middle East. When I get home next month I will try to put the firmware on the card. Not sure about how to update the loader. I will also look inside if I have no luck.
I bought the cam on amazon from Uphig2016. Received it 7 March this year! It packed up before the 8 April ! Not sure how to return it though. The address when I click on the name is:
Name:Shenzhenshi Chunzaokeji Youxiangongsi
  • Business Type:Ltd.
  • Trade Register Number:91440300359711001N
  • VAT Number:GB248491967
  • Business Address:

• FutianQu Meilinjiedao Zhongkanglu 1 Hao Huamaoyuan
    • 8 Dong 2 Danyuan 605
    • Shenzhen
    • Guangdong
    • CN

I would contact Amazon direct. As I understand it they have some sort of guarantee for marketplace sellers which should make it as safe as buying from Amazon. I've never had to put it to the test, but it's worth a go.

OK will contact them and see what they say
Thanks

Amazon have agreed to the return of my A119 V2. And a full refund. I really wanted to take it apart.
Should I get the same one again?
What say all of you?

Amazon have agreed to the return of my A119 V2. And a full refund. I really wanted to take it apart.
Should I get the same one again?
What say all of you?

Amazon will always have you sorted. In general, the A119 is a really good cam, you would most likely not have the same issue if you bought the same version again

Amazon also has the new A119 Pro available with prime shipping. Just came out and firmware is still 1.0 but if you need a need cam anyway and want to give the newest viofo offering a shot...

If not, the A119 V2 is tried and true so really can’t go wrong either way IMO.

Generally speaking they have a low fault rate...you should be safe with a new one.

I have ordered the A119 pro. Let's hope all goes well

In the UK you really have the consumer protection laws on your side, the retailer, not the manufacturer is responsible so any (reputable) retailer will have to give at least 12 months guarantee on most products. You potentially have up to 6 years to make a claim and get a repair/partial refund. It's complex but never let a seller fob you off... a last resort is Section 75 if you bought on a credit card and item cost over £100... the credit card company has a responsibility in resolving a problem or refund if the company has gone into bankruptcy etc....

Amazon have been very quick, and have agreed to refund me.
New one is on its way

Back