A119S Firmware v2.1

2.1 won't keep settings. I've flashed multiple times, used different SD's, to no avail.

And yes, I've reset to default each and every time.

I need a copy of the 1.7 beta (the one that fixed the hot pixels) since I lost my copy. That version gave me no issues.

Just reporting that my A119S running V2.1 firmware has developed the XXXXX-box problem. Left 1/3 of screen is hash, and the camera does not record. Seems to start normally at power up - the startup sound chirps, the REC red button light illuminates, and the VIOFO logo displays for a few seconds (longer than usual). Then the hash on the left 1/3 of the screen appears. The LCD screen status indicators then display normally except for the hash and the six faint X-boxes lined up horizontally at the bottom of the hash just above the Date where the Car Number would appear if used. As best I can recall, there were no entries in Car Number or Custom Text menu settings. The date and time continue to function normally and appear accurate for local time, and most status indicators look normal except no blinking record dot and the elapsed file time stays at zero. But the buttons do not function normally. The screen has an icon on it that I can't identify (looks like a car viewed from the front with two arrows behind it) that is located below the Video Recorder icon in the upper left corner of the screen (see photos below). This is the same location that the Parking Mode "Car" icon appears at when activated. If powered up without the microSD card installed, the "PLEASE INSERT TF CARD" sign appears briefly, then the red REC button light begins to flash and the repeating double beep warning sounds continuously. When power is turned off (or pulled), the LCD screen and LED REC light just slowly fade out. I powered up several times and the screen displayed consistently as described above.

After randomly pushing buttons for a while with no microSD card installed, I was able to get the menu to come up and found that settings had defaulted. There was no consistent way to get to the menu, but when successful, at times the buttons seemed to work normally and parameters could be changed. If Parking Mode is turned on, the Parking Mode "Car" icon replaced the unknown icon. With Parking Mode off, unknown icon returned. I tested a few settings and their associated icons displayed properly. However, sometimes changing the settings caused the camera to completely freeze up upon exiting the menu with no option left but to power down and restart. I tried to make entries in the "Car Number" and "Custom Text" menu selections but pressing the arrow keys did not yield any characters for entry other than blank. Settings that were successfully changed reset back to default after a power down. The camera still would not record in any mode selected.

I know that re-loading firmware cures the symptoms, but will delay a while to further explore the circumstances surrounding this problem. Still have a functioning A119.

IMG_0300.JPGIMG_0302.JPGIMG_0334.JPG

Edit: See also follow-up discussion here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119s-stopped-working.28058/page-4#post-367258.

Last edited:
I know that re-loading firmware cures the symptoms, but will delay a while to further explore the circumstances surrounding this problem. Still have a functioning A119.

that can be helpful, I noticed one user that reported resetting default settings cleared it but he had to do several times before it did, not easy when the screen look like that I know

worth tagging @viofo as well in case they have any questions for you

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V A119S 2
T A119S 72
Mtz A119S 57
BCHobbyist A119S 1340
J A119S 0
Back