[A119S] Quality Issue or Placebo

m0fo

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
A119S
Hello,

I own an A119S v1 (yes, first model) with latest firmware (v1.7). Can you help me decide if these videos have quality issues or it's just me expecting too much from the camera. At first I thought it's like this due to the scratched and cracked windshield causing the camera to loose focus etc. After changing it, the quality is the same.

Testing environment:
A119s
1920x1080 @ 30fps
WDR off (i think. i will check tomorrow morning and come back with an update)
CPL filter (mounted correctly)
GPS base (power supply plugged in)

Videos were trimmed with ffmpeg (no audio/video processing). Just the overlay added in front of the number.

Video samples:
1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kcgroe2qour1fu/1_final.MP4?dl=0
2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8v7p2uyyf7iyt5f/2_final.MP4?dl=0

surely that's not raw footage? if it is, that's not how the A119s usually performs

I downloaded and watched the first clip. I don't really see any focus difference in the center. Looks like you need to clean your windshield though. This clip was 1080p@30.

@jokiin: what do you mean by screenshots?
@DashcamDPR: well, I just extracted the movies from camera, trim them and put a black box above the number. No other processing.
@CaptureYourAction: indeed the first movie has a "dirty" windshield. The second video doesn't have those spots and also I can upload other footages with a "perfect" windshield.

Sorry, but i seriously doubt a 250MB file will fill the entire space on your disks.

I put two videos in order to analyze the video quality. Analyzing a frame in order to talk about video quality does not make any sense to me.

If others ask for screenshots, i will provide them.

Sorry, but i seriously doubt a 250MB file will fill the entire space on your disks.

of course not, I keep downloading stuff everyday though and it all adds up, that's why I keep running out of space, have to draw the line somewhere

ycy5CRU.jpg

7qixSdn.jpg

This one is taken standing still
BJB2QuK.jpg

Ay8SbpG.jpg

Can you help me decide if these videos have quality issues or it's just me expecting too much from the camera
I can help you!That is all A119S can!!!Take a A119 without S (without Sony sensor) put it on 1080 P 60Fps and you will have the same quality day or night.But put the A119 at 1440 P at 30 Fps and you will see WAY BETTER image(say resolution) on daylight or night,because A119S switches anyway to 30Fps on low light condition.
About quality,it is a hit or miss story.I have 3 Viofo 119.Two of them are working perfectly,one from about one year.The third has any possible issue.
The seller compensates me with a few bucks(euros...:unsure:) and VIOFO promised me to send spare parts(which buy the way I find good that they try somehow to sweeten the lemon they produced...)
The bitter true is that now,A119 is a much better buy.Period!At least you do not have to pay so much for a camera that shows even more manufacturing and quality controll issues as the old A119.
WOW factor certainly misses the new A119S.Sorry to say that,but this is the more and more obviously true...

Last edited:
Back