A119S

Sutton

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
One SG9665gc.. Two Viofo A119.. Three A119S
Has anyone heard from Viofo about a firmware update addressing the A119s deficiencies?

I haven't heard from him at all. Sent him a message about blurriness and how I can proceed with this. No response since 3rd of January (10 days ago).

I haven't heard from him at all. Sent him a message about blurriness and how I can proceed with this. No response since 3rd of January (10 days ago).
Same here Jan 1 I even tried to contact his web site still no reply. Maybe I have been spoiled by jokiin from Street Guardian always a response less than 1 hour

the @viofo guys have been away for a trade show so contact has been a bit limited while they're traveling

if you don't see any firmware in the next week or so then it will probably be mid February before you see any, Chinese New Year holiday is coming up and the engineers will be off work

My A119s was delivered with FW 1.01 dated mid-December. It seems most users are still on 1.0. I have not installed my A119s yet to test to see if I have the same issues as many others here.

Just received mine A119s. Also with FW 1.01 dated mid-December. I have issue with GPS module, which should be replaced, so the camera is not connected to window yet. I can do any tests if forum needs, but from hands.

holy mother...

was there any qc for this camera before releasing it to the market?

blurryness, issues with gps module, video shaking, hot pixels, unproper lens position etc.

and btw, @jokiin, from 3rd of january until now, the viofo guys have been away? all of them? without a wifi? boy, that is a very good customer support bro.

this was the first and last time i buy a viofo or git product.

I don't know if they're back yet but yes they have been away since then, there are other staff that are still in office I'm sure but they aren't the ones that interact on here

holy mother...

blurryness, issues with gps module, video shaking, hot pixels, unproper lens position etc.

and btw, @jokiin, from 3rd of january until now, the viofo guys have been away? all of them? without a wifi? boy, that is a very good customer support bro.

this was the first and last time i buy a viofo or git product.
1 person receiving a camera with a GPS contact pin that gets stuck is something that we wouldn't hear about if it hadn't just released, I don't imagine that fault has anything to do with it being an S version of the A119, I've seen reports of stuck pins on other brands as well. Same for the hot pixels, it is an issue with all products that use image sensors and in this case caused by Sony, not Viofo. There does seem to be an issue with the focus, although expectations for sharpness seem to be significantly higher for this camera than they are for most other cameras!

I believe Viofo are back, but having been very busy doing business on the other side of the world they have things to sort and then plenty to catch up with after recovering from the jet lag, before they get back to normal ready for their new year holidays! I'm sure the development team have been busy sorting the issues though. A little patience is required as normal if you want a good job to be done rather than a rushed mess.

Mate...
1. We saw pre-production samples and the quality is way above the production version. We were expecting at least the same quality.
2. As per the sensor: a customer doesn't don't know about image sensors or other things like this. He bought a camera after seeing some samples. If the camera is not working as expected, then it's the manufacturer fault for whatever is in the back. See the problem with Samsung and exploding phones. It's Samsung's fault because they chose a manufacturer with QC issues.
3. Having 2 weeks of no responses is not acceptable from my point of view. Usually, countries have laws which say: "a product that is under warranty cannot stay in service for more than 15 days". Is there a firmware update that will fix some of these problems? What are hardware problems which require replacement? If some people need replacement, they will need to ship the camera to Fox Offer and then wait for another one. That's at least 15-30 days of not enjoying a product they bought.

OK, i do get... it's a Chinese manufacturer and I should not have expectations. Given the fact that they want to avoid that type of classification, that's not how you do business.

PS: i'm not blaming anyone or acting like a troll. I'm just explaining that customers are frustrated.

holy mother...
...this was the first and last time i buy a viofo or git product.
For what its worth, I bought several of each A119S, A119, and A118C2 - all with GPS - and I haven't had a single bad unit or problem. They're all in daily use and working well. My A119S units all have the 1.00 firmware.

I knew there were some isolated problems last year with the old/original gps mounts for the A119, but I thought it was redesigned just before the A119S came out to address the contact problem. I believe the new one works with both models.

Isolated issues get magnified on tech support forums, unfortunately, and look larger than life. If one out of 1000+ has a problem, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are all bad or that we are all unhappy :) Viofo and/or your dealer will make good to correct any problem that you may have experienced, and has my trust.

I look forward to any future firmware updates, when they come out.

Street Guardian and Viofo are both top notch, in my book.

Last edited:
For what its worth, I bought several of each A119S, A119, and A118C2 - all with GPS - and I haven't had a single bad unit or problem. They're all in daily use and working well. My A119S units all have the 1.00 firmware.

I knew there were some isolated problems last year with the old/original gps mounts for the A119, but I thought it was redesigned just before the A119S came out to address the contact problem. I believe the new one works with both models.

Isolated issues get magnified on tech support forums, unfortunately, and look larger than life. If one out of 1000+ has a problem, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are all bad or that we are all unhappy :) Viofo will make good to correct any problem that you may have experienced, and has my trust.

I look forward to any future firmware updates, when they come out.

Street Guardian and Viofo are both top notch, in my book.
Rhody with all due respect please don't put Viofo in the top notch category with Street Guardian as Viofo needs to improve much more and at present time Viofo is no where near Street Guardian's quality product and superior support. Please don't take offence to my opinion.

Mate...
. . .
2. As per the sensor: a customer doesn't don't know about image sensors or other things like this. He bought a camera after seeing some samples. If the camera is not working as expected, then it's the manufacturer fault for whatever is in the back. See the problem with Samsung and exploding phones. It's Samsung's fault because they chose a manufacturer with QC issues.

Samsung hired investigators to determine the likely causes of the Note 7 issues and are going to announce the findings + followups next week. Not sure how you divined the singular cause of their problem, but early reports don't seem to match your simplistic explanation (which seems engineered to move your assertions on Viofo forward).

3. Having 2 weeks of no responses is not acceptable from my point of view. Usually, countries have laws which say: "a product that is under warranty cannot stay in service for more than 15 days". Is there a firmware update that will fix some of these problems? What are hardware problems which require replacement? If some people need replacement, they will need to ship the camera to Fox Offer and then wait for another one. That's at least 15-30 days of not enjoying a product they bought.

Considering that they were at a show and are still spinning up again - plus, new year holiday in China is coming up - I think that some lagging support response is not entirely unreasonable at this time. Their presence here has seemed good in the past, so I won't beat on them due to a specific point in time having some lag for various reasons. But, I would expect at least acknowledgement that any formal submissions are queued up for proper responses.

OK, i do get... it's a Chinese manufacturer and I should not have expectations. Given the fact that they want to avoid that type of classification, that's not how you do business.

I don't have downgraded biases based upon their location, especially since I work daily with highly competent+responsive teams based out of China.

I'm still evaluating my two A119S units, the first of which appears to be in great shape thus far. If the second unit has issues, I would simply go through the standard support path with SpyTek and/or Viofo as needed - that's just what I expect needs to happen. I don't expect immediate fixes, though.

Was there a pre loader and do you have the info on what is being updated? And why would Viofo not put it on his site for everyone to have. Weird...

No loader, just the .bin.

Was there a pre loader and do you have the info on what is being updated? And why would Viofo not put it on his site for everyone to have. Weird...
I emailed Viofo on 1.13.2017 that I was having restarting and flickering line issues. On the 19th they sent me the file.

I emailed Viofo on 1.13.2017 that I was having restarting and flickering line issues. On the 19th they sent me the file.
You are one lucky person

Back