A119v2 Light pillars in night footage...possible defect?

ShhQuietPlease

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

I was reviewing nighttime footage when I came upon this issue. Whenever there was a bright light source, the footage would show vertical shafts of light extending from the source itself. I've attached the footage of the dashcam below.

Dashcam is running Firmware version v2.06 and is installed via hardwire fuse taps.

Current settings:
Resolution: 1440p30
WDR: On
Ev: 0

I've double checked that lens protective film has been removed.

Is this a possible hardware issue or just something I haven't setup properly?

Thank you!

Make sure your windshield is clean, inside and out. The camera lens as well. Streaks will show up like a sore thumb at night. Those streaks have an arch to them and could be small sleeks (scratches) from your windshield wipers.

Try aiming the camera out an open side window to see if you still get the streaks (light flare). If not, it's your windshield.

Make sure your windshield is clean, inside and out. The camera lens as well. Streaks will show up like a sore thumb at night. Those streaks have an arch to them and could be small sleeks (scratches) from your windshield wipers.

Thanks! I've given the windshield a clean with a bit of cloth and water. I'm not quite sure how to approach the camera lens though. Should I be using water only and a cloth? Sorry I'm very to new to all this.

I've checked the windshield and there were minor scratches, but after a clean they've seem to have disappeared.

It's still daytime where I'm from, so I'll wait til its night then try doing the comparison test.

Is there anything else I can troubleshoot in the meanwhile? Thank you!

You may want to update your firmware. V2.06 is a little old given the updates that have occurred since. V3.6 just came out. There have been some bug fixes since V2.06.

I usually clean the lens with a q-tip and a little rubbing alcohol.

Use a NON-Ammonia based cleaner to avoid invisible film that can cause light refraction.(for the inside and outside of the windshield)

Last edited:
Eyeglass cleaner will be your best bet, they are generally OK for camera lenses. Make sure to use softest possible cloth.

Back