A129 Duo High-Pitched Noise?

Ya, I probably hit quote to you and then meant to click on Raven Maniacs. Your quote contained his response. Screw up on my end.

None the less, I meant to convey that 1 camera with a single channel of audio / video will be superior to a front / rear setup with 2 streams of audio / video. Since for now, there are no dual setups that run 4K for front & Rear. Meaning that setting up 2 independent cameras remains superior than a combined system.
Given a choice between a 1 channel or 2 channel camera, I would choose the two channel, it can see twice as much of what happens around my car!

There is no real need for a 4K rear camera, a 4K front camera is far more useful.

The noise is caused mainly by a piezoelectric effect within the ceramic capacitors of the switching voltage regulators. It is not a fault. If the OP finds it unacceptable then he could return it, but there is a good chance any replacement would also have the issue. Most people either don't notice or can't hear these noises because they are at a higher frequency than their ears can hear, for those of us that can hear bats the noises can be annoying.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's my "dog-like" hearing ability because I could also hear my old mini 0806 too. :)

Given a choice between a 1 channel or 2 channel camera, I would choose the two channel, it can see twice as much of what happens around my car!

There is no real need for a 4K rear camera, a 4K front camera is far more useful.

Matter of preference I guess. I like the two camera setup. However, I don't think a 4K camera to record front + 1080P rear combination exists. So the choices are 2 x 1080P in dual channel or doing 1 Front 4K and a second 4K (or whatever).

No complaints on Viofo itself. Camera is reliable and works well. Aside from my own limitations (tint). Going to end up ordering another one of these cameras soon to install in a family member's car.

Blackvue DR900

I stand corrected. https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-2ch/

$500-$600 so about 3x cost of the Viofo A129! Wonder how the Blackvue D900 works with low light and other difficult recording situations. For that price, you'd expect top notch quality.

Though I have heard 4K actually struggles in lower light due to the increased pixels / smaller pixel size?

No. maybe go looking for 4K dashcam in 2020

I stand corrected. https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-2ch/

$500-$600 so about 3x cost of the Viofo A129! Wonder how the Blackvue D900 works with low light and other difficult recording situations. For that price, you'd expect top notch quality.

Though I have heard 4K actually struggles in lower light due to the increased pixels / smaller pixel size?
That particular camera works very poorly in difficult situations, even in good/easy situations it only beats the A129 on resolution. People keep posting terrible images from it, the latest I saw: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/does-polarization-ruin-night-footage.38673/

But lenses, sensors, processors and memory cards are all improving, we just need to wait a little while for a worthwhile 4K dual dashcam to arrive...

I have a similar thing where if I really listen out for it, I can hear a faint high pitched noise. And it is captured on video, however I don't think I would say it ruins the video.
My dash cam is installed using the HK3 wiring.

I wonder if the A129 still makes the high-pitched sound when powered with the cigarette lighter plug? I may try that later today.

I just checked out some of the video footage and there's definitely a high-pitched noise in the videos.

Do you think the high-pitched noise problem could be a grounding issue? The reason I ask is that the new A129 and the old mini 0806 used the same grounding location in my CR-V, which is one I created, not a factory ground. Also, how can I determine if the grounding point I selected is adequate?

I too have the high pitch noise in my Honda.
It sits next to the remote start sensor so I’m wondering if there’s some interference.

What I did learn is there certainly is WiFi interference, in that when WiFi was enabled all Key Fob & Remote start operations would not work without being more than 5 ft away.

So there is definitely something to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just checked out some of the video footage and there's definitely a high-pitched noise in the videos.

Hi,

I was having exact same issue with my A129 Duo. But the problem is about 3-wire kit. When I plug it via lighter socket, there is no sound. I've contacted VIOFO and send my footage videos them to check. They said at the end of April, they will release new 3-wire kit. I'll get one and try with that.

But most probably the issue is with 3-wire kit since there is no disturbing sound with lighter socket.

Regards.

That's interesting. Out of curiosity, did you try changing the battery cuttoff voltage to see if that made a difference in the sound?

Hi,

I was having exact same issue with my A129 Duo. But the problem is about 3-wire kit. When I plug it via lighter socket, there is no sound. I've contacted VIOFO and send my footage videos them to check. They said at the end of April, they will release new 3-wire kit. I'll get one and try with that.

But most probably the issue is with 3-wire kit since there is no disturbing sound with lighter socket.

Regards.

My 3 wire kit was from BBMC. I’ll have to double check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

try turning the BSM off on the CRV, see if that stops the 'noise'. could be BSM interference maybe?

I just tested your theory and I can absolutely confirm that the high-pitched noise is coming from the Viofo 3-wire kit. When I powered my A129 with the Viofo USB cable through the enclosed USB adapter there was no high-pitched sound. I also submitted a ticket with Viofo this past Saturday, but I haven't heard back yet.

Last edited:
I just tested your theory and I can absolutely confirm that the high-pitched noise is coming from the Viofo 3-wire kit. When I powered my A129 with the Viofo USB cable through the enclosed USB adapter there was no high-pitched sound. I also submitted a ticket with Viofo this past Saturday, but I haven't heard back yet.
Did try changing your ground?

Back