A129 Plus Duo - rear cam intermittent (beeping on front unit) - firmware update bricked camera

adimw

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A129, A119 Pro, B1W, 2*A119, 4*A118, G1W-H, G1W,
Just throwing a post in to say I have been running the A129 Plus Duo since Oct 2023, with a SAMSUNG PRO Endurance card.
It has been solid, untouched and working fine until yesterday.
Now the rear camera disconnects, causing the front unit to beep.
Googling the issue said it's a known thing and to update the rear cameras firmware.
I did so with Viofo's latest firmware (rear) from their website, following the update procedure from the linked YouTube video.
Now the rear camera is bricked. No life, can't change views from the front camera.
Re-seated all cables just in case - but no dice. Now I'm driving around with no-hope if I get rear-ended.
Ticket submitted to Viofo - will update as I learn more.

Ticket submitted to BlackBoxMyCar as that is actually who the Amazon.ca seller was (my mistake)

BlackBoxMyCar should/will handle the one year warranty.
BBMC Warranty Statement;
“Any product that was not purchased from BlackboxMyCar is not covered”

@adimw purchased the camera from Amazon.
This means it is not covered by BBMC’s warranty.
@BlackboxMyCar can you confirm?

Screenshot 2024-03-11 11.25.19 AM.png

BBMC Warranty Statement;
“Any product that was not purchased from BlackboxMyCar is not covered”

@adimw purchased the camera from Amazon.
This means it is not covered by BBMC’s warranty.
He said he purchased from Amazon, but BBMC was the seller.

I purchased from BBMC, via Amazon.ca. To be clear!
I have a ticket open with both parties currently.

He said he purchased from Amazon, but BBMC was the seller.
Correct.
This means he is a customer of Amazon, not BBMC.

I purchased from BBMC, via Amazon.ca. To be clear!
In this particular situation you are not a customer of BBMC.
You are a customer of Amazon.
You paid your money to Amazon.
Your credit card statement will say Amazon, not BBMC.
If you had returned the camera in the 30-day return policy period the return would be processed by Amazon, and you would have received the refund from Amazon, not BBMC.
If you would have purchased the camera from the BBMC website you would be a BBMC customer.
But you purchased the camera from the Amazon website.

Correct.
This means he is a customer of Amazon, not BBMC.

In this particular situation you are not a customer of BBMC.
You are a customer of Amazon.
You paid your money to Amazon.
Your credit card statement will say Amazon, not BBMC.
If you had returned the camera in the 30-day return policy period the return would be processed by Amazon, and you would have received the refund from Amazon, not BBMC.
If you would have purchased the camera from the BBMC website you would be a BBMC customer.
But you purchased the camera from the Amazon website.

He pays Amazon, then Amazon pays BBMC. 30 day return would go through Amazon. Warranty after that goes through BBMC.

If someone buys a Viofo from one of our Capture Your Action listings on Amazon and gets in contact with Viofo due to an issue, Viofo then directs them to contact us for warranty support (if it's determined a replacement is needed). Same is true for BBMC.

Are you a betting man? ;)
If you get food poisoning from a Big Mac you sue Mcdonald’s, not the beef rancher because you are a customer of McDonald’s, (company that took your money).

If you take your car to the Ford Dealership for repair, and the dealership sublets the work to a body shop, and there are problems with the work the body shop performed you sue (small claims court) the Ford Dealership, not the body shop because you are not a customer of the body shop, you are a customer of the Ford Dealership, (company that took your money).

In this particular situation Amazon is the company that sold the dash cam, and took money from the customer, (not BBMC).
If there is a problem, and the customer has to file a dispute with the credit card company for the charge, the customer will dispute the charge with Amazon, not BBMC because Amazon is the company that took the customers money.

@BlackboxMyCar can you confirm this?

Hey all! If a purchase is made on Amazon with us as the reseller, then that purchase is fully covered under our standard 1-year warranty, as if it were purchased from our website. (Unless refurbished or otherwise). If anything, our standard return window is the least applicable part of Amazon purchases, since Amazon themselves often have unique return processes and restrictions.

I am glad to hear that the individual with the issue is already chatting with our support team, and I will check in with them myself to ensure this issue can be resolved properly.

Amazon purchases can sometimes be a bit of a pain to verify, with occasional bad-faith resellers and a complicated system. Verifying purchases isn't the easiest, and sometimes, if customers aren't diligent, it will go to another seller by default. Nevertheless, we fully stand by purchases that are through us on Amazon, as if it were our own website. The same applies to other platforms, including BestBuy and eBay.

Hey all! If a purchase is made on Amazon with us as the reseller, then that purchase is fully covered under our standard 1-year warranty, as if it were purchased from our website.
this is exactly what I expected by buying from a reputable seller such as yourself. thank-you for confirmation.

we fully stand by purchases that are through us on Amazon, as if it were our own website. The same applies to other platforms, including BestBuy and eBay.
Thank you for the clarification.
The warranty statement on the BBMC website does not say that.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 5.25.01 PM.png

Purchasing something on Amazon is vaguely similar to purchasing something on eBay.

eBay may host and facilitate the sale and they will be the ultimate arbiter if there is a problem to make sure you get a replacement or a refund, but eBay isn't the actual seller.

If Amazon is the seller it will say so on the sales page.

If some other company or retailer is the seller it will also say so on the sales page. Depending on the product, it might ship from a different seller but you won't be buying from Amazon.

amazon.jpg blackbox.jpg

Last edited:
end result after contacting Viofo and Blackboxmycar.... Viofo sent a new rear cam direct from China without much questioning, I plugged it in, and I'm back up and running. rear cam firmware is 1.9_20230227 and works flawlessly so far.

Back