A129 Pro firmware

The way I expected this to work is that the entire card is used as a ring buffer until a file is locked. When a file is locked, it is marked as read only and moved into the locked file directory (which is done by only messing with the directory file pointers, not by copying the file to another location on the card), and whatever space is not used by locked files is used as the ring buffer.

I generally don't use the file locking option, I just use large memory cards, and if something happens, I remember the approximate time it happens, take the card to the computer, find the relevant file and copy it off.

It seems to me that reserving 1/3 of the card for locked files wastes space. For me, the way I use my cards, it means I can only use 2/3 of the card. I would think it would make more sense to dynamically adjust how much is used by locked files based on how many locked files there are. I would think that would be easier to implement too.

The way I expected this to work is that the entire card is used as a ring buffer until a file is locked. When a file is locked, it is marked as read only and moved into the locked file directory (which is done by only messing with the directory file pointers, not by copying the file to another location on the card), and whatever space is not used by locked files is used as the ring buffer.

I generally don't use the file locking option, I just use large memory cards, and if something happens, I remember the approximate time it happens, take the card to the computer, find the relevant file and copy it off.

It seems to me that reserving 1/3 of the card for locked files wastes space. For me, the way I use my cards, it means I can only use 2/3 of the card. I would think it would make more sense to dynamically adjust how much is used by locked files based on how many locked files there are. I would think that would be easier to implement too.
The space for the locked files isn't reserved!
But 2/3 are reserved for non-locked, looping recording.

So if you don't lock anything, your whole car will be written and then the oldest will get overwritten after some time.
With each locked video, you decrease that ring buffer, as you call it.
But only until 1/3 of the partition is used by locked videos. Then, the next locked video will overwrite the oldest locked video, not the oldest ring-buffer video.

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this.
Been running my A129 pro for almost 2 years now and it works flawlessly.
Haven't updated the fw in a year, I think I'm running 2.9? I might have to go down and check the fw later.

Anywho, point is it's been working fine with the same fw, but yesterday I noticed that I had corrupted files. Instead of having 2 F+R footage timestamped for the same time, now I can see that the dashcam is creating a third file with the same timestamp and that file is just 2s long. Checking the footage before and after it seems like I'm missing footage.
The corrupted file is highlighted below

5v57grI.png

Looking closer, you'll notice that my files are 2min long. After the 10.41am footage, the next file should have been 10.43am (see other files before and after which follows the correct time sequence)
Also, the highlighted 10.41am file (the corrupted one) isn't a duplicate of the 1st 10.41am file, that one is correct.

At this point it appears that the corrupted 10.41am file should have been 10.43, it starts recording, somehow something goes wrong and the file isn't written correctly and the dashcam timestamp it with the wrong time and I lose 3min of footage in the process as the next working file is at 10.44.
Noticed this anomaly every hour or so. No fw change or settings changed, the dashcam has been working flawlessly and I barely touch it (switch automatically between parking and drive mode). Every 3 months or so I pull out the sdcard just to check that it's recording correctly and it has always done so until yesterday.

The only thing I can think of is that yesterday was an extremely hot day with temperatures hitting 41 degrees Celcius but the dashcam didn't shut down and AC flow was directed to the windshield to cool down the dashcam.
Or could it be the sdcard starting to show signs of fatigue? Been using this WESTERN DIGITAL WD PURPLE 256GB MICROSD V30 U3 for 3 years now.

I'll monitor the files for the next couple of days and see if it was a one-off issue or it repeats. If it repeats this might rule out heat related issue

What I will do for now is a full formard of the sdcard with SD card formater

Let me know if it's something that has been reported by other users as well or if you have experienced this glitch yourself.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

Haven't updated the fw in a year, I think I'm running 2.9? I might have to go down and check the fw later.

Anywho, point is it's been working fine with the same fw, but yesterday I noticed that I had corrupted files. Instead of having 2 F+R footage timestamped for the same time, now I can see that the dashcam is creating a third file with the same timestamp and that file is just 2s long. Checking the footage before and after it seems like I'm missing footage.

5v57grI.png

Looking closer, you'll notice that my files are 2min long. After the 10.41am footage, the next file should have been 10.43am (see other files before and after which follows the correct time sequence)
Also, the highlighted 10.41am file (the corrupted one) isn't a duplicate of the 1st 10.41am file, that one is correct.

At this point it appears that the corrupted 10.41am file should have been 10.43, it starts recording, somehow something goes wrong and the file isn't written correctly and the dashcam timestamp it with the wrong time and I lose 3min of footage in the process as the next working file is at 10.44.
Noticed this anomaly every hour or so. No fw change or settings changed, the dashcam has been working flawlessly and I barely touch it (switch automatically between parking and drive mode). Every 3 months or so I pull out the sdcard just to check that it's recording correctly and it has always done so until yesterday.

The only thing I can think of is that yesterday was an extremely hot day with temperatures hitting 41 degrees Celcius but the dashcam didn't shut down and AC flow was directed to the windshield to cool down the dashcam.
Or could it be the sdcard starting to show signs of fatigue? Been using this WESTERN DIGITAL WD PURPLE 256GB MICROSD V30 U3 for 3 years now.

I'll monitor the files for the next couple of days and see if it was a one-off issue or it repeats. If it repeats this might rule out heat related issue

Let me know if it's something that has been reported by other users as well or if you have experienced this glitch yourself.

Thanks
I was going to suggest doing the format and if the issue persists, try a new SD card. Preferably one on the list that VIOFO recommends for the 129 Pro.

Hey everyone,

5v57grI.png

Thanks
I get different file sizes all the time along with the regular large ones, I presumed it was ignition off after a new file had been created so it wouldnt be as long as a normal file :) as I stopped the car and walked away

SD cards do get slower as the wear. At some point they may get so slow that they can't keep up with the video being recorded.

@VIOFO-Support
When I compare the two cameras,
When a129 pro WDR is illuminated, the visible area becomes completely bright. When there is no illumination, the brightness decreases.

The exact opposite happens with a119 mini 2 HDR. That is, if there is illumination, the brightness decreases; if there is no illumination, the brightness increases.

Can improvements be made for a129 pro?
Can the a129 pro purple image be corrected?
Is it possible for the brightness to decrease when there is illumination and to increase when there is no illumination?

@VIOFO-Support
When a129 pro WDR is illuminated, the visible area becomes completely bright. When there is no illumination, the brightness decreases.

The exact opposite happens with a119 mini 2 HDR. That is, if there is illumination, the brightness decreases; if there is no illumination, the brightness increases.

Is it possible for the brightness to decrease when there is illumination and to increase when there is no illumination?
In my opinion the comparison is incorrect...
These models have completely different video sensors...

I agree with the part you quoted. But this is not a product comparison, I added a visual to explain what I mean.

Of course, the a119 mini 2 has an advanced sensor. I am also aware that the a119 mini 2 records at a variable bit value, while the a129 pro records at a fixed bit value.
its initial software included a purple image.They fixed this with software and I wonder if the same fix is possible for the a129 pro. I think it might. It may also be causing the a129 pro wdr problem.

Of course, the a119 mini 2 has an advanced sensor. I am also aware that the a119 mini 2 records at a variable bit value, while the a129 pro records at a fixed bit value.
A119 Mini 2 also has a fixed bitrate at 2560x1080 resolution, which is what I use. ;)
its initial software included a purple image.They fixed this with software and I wonder if the same fix is possible for the a129 pro. I think it might. It may also be causing the a129 pro wdr problem.
For this I am aware.
I thought you wanted to raise the A129 Pro video quality to Mini 2 level.

@VIOFO-Support

We have forwarded this to our engineer, but we cannot guarantee this can be realized via the firmware since the WDR has no such huge effect as HDR as we all know.

Back