A129 rear camera mount

mollydog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a little issue with the Viofo A129 rear camera mount, I’m sure there’s an easy solution, I find the rear camera mount isn’t suited to having a 90ø vertical rear window as I have on my car

If mounted on the screen with the bracket it came with then the lens will be pointing down too much and I’ll end up with capturing most of the boot and not much of the road behind

with my last Mini XXXX DVR, I could position the lens at right angles to the rear screen and fitting the DVR as high up as possible still had a lot of the boot in the image, as shown:

if I fit the A129 rear camera so the lens is at right angle to the screen then I need a wedge on the mount

any suggestions if there is a mount I could substitute for the standard one? I could easily make a wedged plinth to fit between the mount and the screen but don’t want to add any further possibilities of camera shake/movements by doing this

edited to add, not sure why the images are not showing on my computer?

Last edited:
The @viofo suction mount will fit.

edited to add, not sure why the images are not showing on my computer?
Don't show here either?

Although I can see them if I edit your post!

I think a wedge made of something solid must be the answer, only other suggestion I have is that you could offer to test the new version that isn't released yet, not sure if that can manage vertical, but it does rotate 180, and I'm not sure if it is IR only or if there is a normal colour version...

This should help you if you're wondering if they will fit. Note the Infrared "rear / Cabin" dashcam has a new mounting system and won't work on the current suction mount.

A119A129 Non IR mountA119 dashcamA129 Non IR rear dashcamViofo picture

doesn't fit, maybe with a bit of filing
Why do you say that?

Must be very close. It's made to fit the A119 and the A129 rear cam looks identical.

because it doesn't fit, thought that was obvious

First hand experience? Reason?
Why doesn't it fit.

Being informative helps others don't you think.

I didn't measure the two units for fun.

OP asked for an option here is one. And cheap.

Must be close. You did mention a file.
We are talking about the old mount not the IR mount twin lock to be clear?
If you are then OK, well settled, thanks for the reply.

it's close, you could maybe file the camera a bit to get it to slot in and cut the backing down a bit so the camera could still be adjusted, it won't fit as is though, definitely needs mods to get it to work, it's not designed for it so I wouldn't guarantee it was going to work well

Don't show here either?

Although I can see them if I edit your post!

I think a wedge made of something solid must be the answer, only other suggestion I have is that you could offer to test the new version that isn't released yet, not sure if that can manage vertical, but it does rotate 180, and I'm not sure if it is IR only or if there is a normal colour version...

I can see the images now, this hasn't happened before, funny that

this is when I wished I could design for 3D printing, I'm not too keen with the suction cup but this might be the only way round this

I suppose of the many cars this rear camera will be fitted in the amount of rear screen being vertical is probable less then 0.01%

I’m tempted to take off the sticky pad off the removable mount and make a angled wedge out of ABS, screw this to the mount then add another sticky pad to this wedge, something like this

this is when I wished I could design for 3D printing, I'm not too keen with the suction cup but this might be the only way round this

I suppose of the many cars this rear camera will be fitted in the amount of rear screen being vertical is probable less then 0.01%

I’m tempted to take off the sticky pad off the removable mount and make a angled wedge out of ABS, screw this to the mount then add another sticky pad to this wedge, something like this

Should be easy to find a suitable wedge, a door wedge, or sash window wedge would be ideal, angle doesn't really matter as long as its enough to get the camera into adjustment range, however nobody seems to use such things these days and it is surprisingly difficult to find one!

Instead of 3D printing, you could mould one from Siligum or equivalent.

Your images might work better if they were jpg format, they would also load a lot faster than the huge png files you are using.

as you say Nigel, it doesn’t matter if the angle is wider, as long as the lens has the movement to get it to right angle to the screen, you’ve given me food for thought here with your suggestions (thank you)

the app I’m using to do the diagrams defaults to saving to PNG, I’ll keep an eye on it and save as JPG, and hope this sorts it

There are various wedges made for different purposes which could provide a good solution here. I'd suggest a trip to an old-fashioned hardware store (ironmongers), not a "big box" kind, where with the mount in hand somebody will probably know what you need and have it for cheap. This kind of wide knowledge is rapidly becoming extinct over here and isn't found in the "big box" where they at best only know the stock they have for a given and single purpose :( A bit of paint can solve any color issues on what you find, just keep that off the tape mounting surfaces.

Phil

Suggestion: Use an Arkon suction mount on rear Camera. I use this on my vehicle and the mount is very sturdy. Should solve your issue. ...Btw what kind of car do you own?

Suction Mount

Suggestion: Use an Arkon suction mount on rear Camera. I use this on my vehicle and the mount is very sturdy. Should solve your issue. ...Btw what kind of car do you own? Suction Mount View attachment 45469
I don't recommend that, think of the vibration :eek:

It might be OK in a normal car, but in the Elise it is mounted only about a foot from the engine, maybe less, and it is an engine without any balance shafts and a solid flywheel.

There's no need to 3D print or fabricate any wedges. @SawMaster is quite right in suggesting a trip to your local hardware store (or you could find what you need online).

The best, least expensive and easiest to find wedges I've found for this purpose are the type used to shim wobbly furniture. They are available in different materials and colors but are usually made from hard nylon or a slightly flexible but stiff rubber.
Many happen to be just about the right size for dash cam mounting without modification.

Simply attach using 3M VHB tape. You can even double them up if you need a steeper angle.

wedge.jpg

wobble_wedges.jpg

wiggle_wedges.jpg

Last edited:
@ HonestReview

I bought this exact mount the other day to be able to test out the A129 from one car to the other without having to use the permanent sticky pads, it does this well but I don’t plan on using it beyond testing out the A129, I find whilst its Ok for my little tests to see what setting I’m happy with I do see the plate on this suction cup has a little too much flex for my liking,

I’ve not noticed any of this movement on my city driving clips but I don’t feel comfortable used on a permeant bases

I know I’ll make very good use of this suction cut later as a phone holder when the phone is used as a sat nav

@ Dashmellow

thanks for this tip, I’ll be off to my local B&Q in the morning and have a look round, I can alway adapt the shimy thingies to fit and do the job, :)

@ HonestReview

I bought this exact mount the other day to be able to test out the A129 from one car to the other without having to use the permanent sticky pads, it does this well but I don’t plan on using it beyond testing out the A129, I find whilst its Ok for my little tests to see what setting I’m happy with I do see the plate on this suction cup has a little too much flex for my liking,

I’ve not noticed any of this movement on my city driving clips but I don’t feel comfortable used on a permeant bases

I know I’ll make very good use of this suction cut later as a phone holder when the phone is used as a sat nav

I use the Arkon mount on a daily basis. Never noticed any vibration either on city streets or the highway / freeway. Mount is very sturdy if you ask me.

Back