A129 Video artifacts

Alright did another test. This time did a loop around the neighborhood. Starting and ending in my driveway. Same loop both times. Was a hair under two minutes (loop set to 1 minute).
This is weird, because mine is double your bitrate (I set to the highest bitrate, which is the default I think). This is a 3-minute file of the front cam (the rear cam has similar bitrate) while driving (motion sensing off, parking mode off, WDR off). Of note is that the 3-minute file is 370MB which is about 6 times your file size. Did you happen to enable motion sensing or the parking mode while recording that may affect your bitrate?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.1 KB · Views: 34
I've tried doing it both ways. I've noticed for some reason (not sure if it's meant to) but seems you have to disable wifi to access the menu directly on mine.
Yes, you need to disable WiFi on the camera to be able to use the cameras buttons to change settings.

Same with mine - used High Bitrate which was the default, and its double your bitrate. 3min loop, WDR off, no CPL. Both front and rear is 362MB in this case.

Attachments

• Test.png
    Test.png
    28 KB · Views: 31
Have WDR off, Parking Mode and Motion Sensing disabled. I’ll do more checking when the cpl filter comes in. Like Nigel and jokiin mentioned the amount of reflection on the windshield might have something to do with it.

Have WDR off, Parking Mode and Motion Sensing disabled. I’ll do more checking when the cpl filter comes in. Like Nigel and jokiin mentioned the amount of reflection on the windshield might have something to do with it.
Even with a static scene on low bitrate I'm getting 13Mbps with mine.

Have you tried a different card?

Alright so this is interesting. I turned wifi off, initial recordings this morning was with wifi on before I turned it off and interfaced with the menu manually again. With wifi on it was still at the 8Mbps bitrate. With wifi off and going back and changing bitrate to low then back to high again directly in the menu and leaving Wifi off not matter whether WDR is on or off the Bitrate has been almost double now.

Attachments

• 1531415540720.png
    1531415540720.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 31
Alright so this is interesting. I turned wifi off, initial recordings this morning was with wifi on before I turned it off and interfaced with the menu manually again. With wifi on it was still at the 8Mbps bitrate. With wifi off and going back and changing bitrate to low then back to high again directly in the menu and leaving Wifi off not matter whether WDR is on or off the Bitrate has been almost double now.

might be a firmware bug then

might be a firmware bug then

Could very well be because I know I did the same thing (set it to low then back to high) through the app with wifi on and the bitrate didn't change. I'll turn wifi on next drive without adjusting any settings and see if that affects the bitrate as well.

I would think it's a firmware issue which should be able to be addressed via an update

Yup. Now that I may have narrowed it down, I wanted to try and figure out the variables to replicate it to hopefully make it a little easier for @viofo to fix.

Normally I keep Wi-Fi off, switched it on to check something and then forgot to turn it off. The bitrate for the trip indeed went down by half.

3 minute clip

fr1.png

rr1.png

Untitled.png

Interesting. I wonder if it’s a firmware issue or just the WiFi consumes enough resources that the bitrate is lowered.

Interesting. I wonder if it’s a firmware issue or just the WiFi consumes enough resources that the bitrate is lowered.
The data rate you get over the wifi does depend on what the camera is doing, for example if you download a file while it is recording 2 channels then it takes a lot longer than when not recording. It could well be that the recording bitrate is reduced so that it can maintain a decent wifi bitrate.

If the hardware is that limited, limit Wi-Fi related features and function, priority should be to maintain bitrate while recording.

If the hardware is that limited, limit Wi-Fi related features and function, priority should be to maintain bitrate while recording.
For most wifi features you have to stop recording anyway, so it is only the live view that is affected and I only use that for setup when full detail is not important, better to have a quick response without buffering.

For most wifi features you have to stop recording anyway, so it is only the live view that is affected and I only use that for setup when full detail is not important, better to have a quick response without buffering.

I don't think you're following, Wi-Fi is halving the bitrate for all recordings. Why compromise on detail for a Wi-Fi related function.

Thank you @joshh520 for discovering this. I had been running with WiFi on most all the time due to just wanting to be able to phone connect as I discover things to "check on" with the new toy.

Now I know to just leave it off and get the best frame rate and turn it on when I need it.

Back