A139 New Accessory

Next question, do you have the security firmware that disables the physical power off button? :cool::unsure:
But that is implemented already for parking mode and ocassionally for normal mode as well. Even when you don't want it... :LOL:

That’s good of them, and it should be reasonably easy to swap the interior cable.

Pity they didn’t get the new cables sorted earlier, but they have been trying, and at least you know before receiving it now.

Next question, do you have the security firmware that disables the physical power off button? :cool::unsure:

No interest in replacement cables. I'm not going to rip the whole installation out and redo everything again. Considering someone could reach over 1/2 meter and just pull the cable out from the interior camera itself. And while it makes it less convenient to remove the rear camera, someone could just as well hop in the back seat and remove that cable, too.

Point remains, locking power cable and microsd card are main benefits. As the smart thing to do would be to face the rear camera inward whenever someone has access to the vehicle, so if that person attempts to remove interior or rear camera cable, it's captured onto the microsd card. As the power cable and sd card are locked.

But that is implemented already for parking mode and ocassionally for normal mode as well. Even when you don't want it... :LOL:

Correct. Power button doesn't work in parking mode. I like that feature. Again, the lock prevents the sd card and power cable removal. The interior camera cable and rear camera cable are moot. Reach over 1/2 meter to remove interior camera cable from camera itself. And hop in back to remove the rear camera cable. If anyone has access to your car, just face rear camera inward. That way, if person attempts to disable interior camera or rear camera, its captured by either one of these units onto the main unit + sd card.

If it is working correctly then you should still be able to operate the button functions from the app, which of course can be password protected via the Wi-fi password.

I suspect that still needs some work still though.

@Nigel @SawMaster I bet it's just about covering of the grip area to make it more difficult to unplug them (even with the access it's not that easy), not specificaly lock it in place as the power cord is. But you surely can to just grab the whole coax cable and pull...
I've seen cables with 'notches' on the end which the lock could go into, so my guess is that it will really lock the cables in place. It would be a pointless exercise otherwise. And if it works as I envision it will be sufficient for it's intended purpose, which is to deter a low-level tampering attempt by an employee or similar. It will not stop a high-level attack or a determined person nor is it meant to do that.

It takes very little brainpower to see how to cut cables, block a cam's view, or obscure audio recording. It's meant to be like a simple lock on a door- something to help honest people remain honest. It's not like a bank-vault door meant to keep skilled and determined people out. It's an alternative to expensive commercial recording systems which are more secure but cost $1000 more and higher :eek:

It's going to allow smaller businesses who need something like this to have it, and that's a good thing :cool:

Phil

If it is working correctly then you should still be able to operate the button functions from the app, which of course can be password protected via the Wi-fi password.

I suspect that still needs some work still though.
The problem is you need to Wi-fi button to work in order to connect the app whereas everything fails, the only thing that seems to be an option is a good long press of the power button eventually shuts the camera down or pull the power cable out.

@HonestReview Interesting, so you did get the new cables for the security bracket already? I thought they don't even exist yet.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/not-a-happy-camper-with-the-a139.44821/page-2#post-548887
therm-jpg.56953

Ok, the actual usability without the "special" cables is questionable. :unsure: :ROFLMAO: But at least it covers SDcard slot and locks power from HWK (will add photos later).

Btw: It is possible to pull the coaxial cables out of it, it just needs a bit more effort (without the gripping surface).

20210624_131216.jpg20210624_131230.jpg20210624_131255.jpg20210624_131327.jpg

Last edited:
Power locked nicely and firmly.

20210624_210604.jpg20210624_210530.jpg20210624_210609.jpg20210624_210635.jpg

How long does it take to extract the microSD card if you have the key?
Maybe you only need to remove one screw...

It would seem that if the screw on top isn't done up tightly, one could remove the screw by the card on the side and swing the lock out of the way. Hoping someone with the lock will try this approach and share their results :)

Phil

Good thinking and you're right, it takes only few seconds. When you remove the one on the side and loosen the second one a bit, the bracket rotates away by itself, giving you access to everything. It is possible to do so in the opposite order but then you have to force the bracket over a plastic edge or lose the side screw more (again, after you rotate it, everything is accessible, including SDcard).

Is the locking accessory made of plastic or metal?
Ups, sorry, quite important information and I completely forgot about it :LOL:. It's metal. Not sure what exactly but it's quite stiff so doesn't look like "aluminium".

Last edited:
Good thinking and you're right, it takes only few seconds. When you remove the one on the side and lose loosen the second one a bit, the bracket rotates away by itself, giving you access to everything.
Excellent, although that might not work so well with the correct remote camera cables...

Ups, sorry, quite important information and I completely forgot about it :LOL:. It's metal. Not sure what exactly but it's quite stiff so doesn't look like "aluminium".

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that it is metal. I noticed the color and finish looks a bit different than the plastic housing of the camera so I was wondering. A metal security bracket would make a huge difference in how protective it would be so I'm pleased to see that. My initial assumption when this product was first presented to us in the OP's photo was that it was plastic so I was skeptical that it would be much of a deterrent. In the manufacturer's promotional photo the finish looks the same as the camera so it was impossible to tell. Your photos do a better job of showing us the product.

Excellent, although that might not work so well with the correct remote camera cables...
Yeah, could be a different story, especially for the one next to the screw on the back (if one tries to rotate it around the back screw). But on many units there is fair amount of wobble on coaxial cables so there could be room for a bit of force. But yeah, can't confirm that for myself.

Still, once you remove one of the screws and loosen the other, it takes another second or two to unscrew it completely. As we discussed before, it's only for an unprepared or lazy intruder.

Is the locking accessory made of plastic or metal?
I must be dumb or aging :facepalm: , the bracket is slightly responsive to magnetic field...

I must be dumb or aging :facepalm: , the bracket is slightly responsive to magnetic field...

Interesting. I thought is might actually be aluminum. If it's a ferrous metal alloy it would probably be harder to break than aluminum, unless it is some sort of cheap pot metal.

Last edited:
slightly responsive to magnetic field...
Strange, doesn’t look plated, so presumably stainless steel of some sort.

Investment casting is a big thing now, and there's zillions of alloys used including semi-ferrous metals. Probably made that way, and the metal selected for economical stiffness since thickness is enough to resist bending.

Phil

Back