A229 DUO settings reset after 2-3 days of inactivity

Panxris

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello, got my A229 in October 2022 , very happy overall , it is used Monday through Friday for 1,5 X 2=3 hours on my daily commute to work and back. Firmware is updated with the latest. Was watching a recorded video recently and realized that the time was off by 2 hours in relation to the expected time when I return home from work. I realized the Time Zone should be wrong , indeed it was set to GMT +0. Set it correctly at +2 (Greece) , and time was correct again. Checked the next day, all good. And the next day , no problem. What I realized , when I checked again after 3 days of inactivity today morning (Last Friday I used a motorcycle to commute to work and Saturday and Sunday did not use the car at all) is that the Time Zone was reset again at GMT +0. I do not know if this is a newly developed issue or was caused after the last firmware or the wear and tear of the dashcam , or if this was a "bug" already when new. Please tell me how yours behave if you had similar problems.

October 2022
@VIOFO-Support
If you haven’t already you may want to register your camera to receive a 6 month extension that might qualify you for warranty service.
https://viofo.com/content/14-product-registration/
Once registered submit an official support ticket here;
https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new

Either way I’m sure Viofo will rise to the occasion, and provide excellent after sale support.
If they offer to repair / replace the camera I would counter-offer, and request a nice discount on the new A229 Pro.
The new STARVIS 2 IMX678 image sensor with HDR will let you see things at night that your A229 Duo could not.
But you’ll need to replace the GPS mount because the Pro has upgraded GPS guts, and the rear camera cable has been changed to USB Type-C to Type-C from the Slim Coax you enjoy now.
And if your using a Hardwire Kit from 2022 they’ve been upgraded with 20AWG+24AWG wires instead of the old 24AWG+24AWG.
If you use the old kit on the A229 Pro you may have power starvation issues;
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a139-pro-test-review-pp.48049/post-595941

-Chuck

18 Months .png

Opened a ticket as advised, thanks. My A229 is a single front only unit, no hard wire kit used, don't need it as my old school vehicle has an always live 12V cigarette lighter plug.

no hard wire kit used, don't need it as my old school vehicle has an always live 12V cigarette lighter plug.
How do you prevent the camera from draining your car battery in "parking mode"?

In fact I had some time to spend searching the dashcam thorrowly, and sadly realized that all the settings was the stock settings like after a firmware update and not those I have selected. I change about 7 or 8 values (WDR ON instead of OFF, parking monitor ON instead of OFF parking timer 8hrs instead of OFF, video duration 2 min instead of 3 etc),so it seems that everything resets and not only the time zone. Usually I do not drive at weekends so I will see what happens on Monday again after 2,5 days if inactivity.

In fact I had some time to spend searching the dashcam thorrowly, and sadly realized that all the settings was the stock settings like after a firmware update and not those I have selected. I change about 7 or 8 values (WDR ON instead of OFF, parking monitor ON instead of OFF parking timer 8hrs instead of OFF, video duration 2 min instead of 3 etc),so it seems that everything resets and not only the time zone. Usually I do not drive at weekends so I will see what happens on Monday again after 2,5 days if inactivity.
Viofo will be back in the office Feb 19.
While you wait for your official reply from Viofo you may want to;
1.) Update firmware newest version; V1.2_20230920
2.) Factory reset, (APP + On Screen Menu + Pin hole reset button).
3.) Obtain / use “Viofo recommended” SD Card

Screenshot 2024-02-08 8.33.02 AM.png

4.) Confirm & verify correct power supply
a.) Original included Viofo Brand CLA charger D5000
b.) Viofo included Power Cable 20AWG

2.) A229 Duo .jpg

Also WDR is non-functional please turn Off.

Attachments

• Reset Pin Hole .jpg
    Reset Pin Hole .jpg
    820.6 KB · Views: 4
Viofo offered to replace the camera but not for free (30 eur fee plus shipping) they said it's out of warranty. Maybe they misread the purchase date 5/10/2022 as may 2022 as here in Greece this means 5 October 2022. I am waiting for their answer about the coverage by the warranty or not

Viofo offered to replace the camera but not for free (30 eur fee plus shipping) they said it's out of warranty.
1.) Since you purchased your A229 Duo October 5, 2022 the 12 month warranty expired October 4, 2023, (4 months, 15 days ago).
2.) However, if you registered the camera, you received an additional 6 months of warranty coverage expiring April 5, 2024.
3.) Did you register the camera to receive the additional 6 month warranty (YES / NO?).

If you registered the camera they will have record of your registration.
If not, your camera is NOT under warranty, and you are NOT entitled to warranty service.
Please reply to question #3.
-Chuck

Screenshot 2024-02-19 11.20.47 PM.png

Yes I did registered upon purchase
Excellent, good work.
Here is Viofo’s warranty policy; https://viofo.com/content/16-warranty-policy/

Screenshot 2024-02-20 3.55.20 AM.png

Viofo has discontinued the original A229 Duo, however, retailers are still selling it for $180;
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/products/viofo-a229-duo-2k-qhd-2-channel-dash-cam-with-gps

Screenshot 2024-02-19 11.39.02 PM.png

So, you will have to ask yourself;
Is it worth paying the shipping cost back to Hong Kong to received a replacement $180 A229 Duo?
I would say yes.

If your camera loose its settings / time /date ASO, that is probably due to the RTC battery failing, this is a small button type lipo battery on the PCB inside the camera.
The RTC batteries can be replaced but not like a battery in a remote for instance, i do think some tools are needed, maybe a soldering iron, probably a few videos on that on yourube in relation to different electronic gadgets.
It should only require basic DIY skills, not like you would need to be a rocket scientist to be able to figure it out.

It should not be a problem having a car / dashcam sitting idle for a few days or even weeks.

The viofo issue in regard to warranty, it could be they are thinking month - day - year, and not the day - month - year we normal people deal in.
I would contact them again and make sure they know it is 5 October - 2022 for purchase date

I already made the effort to clarify the date format we normal people (lol) use and then got a response that I now can get a free replacement unit as long as I ship the device in Germany (not China). The problem is I want the safety provided by the dashcam as I commute 3 hours daily Monday to Friday to work , in which situation there are no problems with the settings. The problems arise when I am at a vacation or the car has broken down etc. I don't want to risk waiting 2 weeks for the new to arrive without mine recording and even the possibility of another flaw on the next device. So I tried to suggest buying a new A229 Plus with discount directly from them and I am waiting for their response.
In every other aspect the A229 was an excellent device so far and has worked hard for many hours. Even if one day it dies, I would not feel mad nor disappointed

Last edited:
I tested the A229 back in the day and it was a fine experience

I don't want to risk waiting 2 weeks for the new to arrive without mine recording
You’ve now learned you need a “spare dash cam” when your primary dash cam fails.
Why don’t you purchase a new camera first, then send the original A229 Duo back for warranty replacement?
Then you will have the replacement unit as a spare, or you could install both units to make a 4-CH system.

I am using a single channel model and plan to upgrade to a single channel plus model with a discount if offered by viofo. Until then, I am good with my heavily used A229.

Back