A229 Plus Installed - Help Needed

MedicalFlyer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius C Lens, Mini 0906, SG9663DC Pro, A229 Plus
Dodging the sporadic rain today I got my cam installed in the car. Just need to fiddle with the settings when I go for a drive but all seems to be fine so far.
Was fairly easy to install other than getting the rear cam cable through the existing tubing for the tailgate (always an absolute pain and I very slightly damaged the connector but no harm done). With all the sensor units on the windscreen already I was a bit limited for mounting positions and the front view is a little off to the left as a result but still sees everything going on.

I must say the static plastic is a great touch. If it ever comes to removing it at least I won't be picking bits of 3M of the windscreen for hours.
The HW4 kit and fuse taps could really do with having bullet connectors like the SG stuff used to as needing to crimp it on is a pain when you only have various wire cutters to hand. I might go back in and solder them properly instead one day.

The included wires are certainly more than long enough for most cases I'd say. Mine all goes inside the roof lining and down the A-pillar. The rear goes down the A-pillar enough to pass behind the airbag and then off along the roof lining out the way of the airbags and of in to the roof lining over the boot. All of the excess was loosely wound and hidden in the roof out the way.

Attachments

• PXL_20240323_145547528.jpg
    PXL_20240323_145547528.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20240323_151532013.jpg
    PXL_20240323_151532013.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20240323_151543684.jpg
    PXL_20240323_151543684.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20240323_151553253.jpg
    PXL_20240323_151553253.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 36
Is there a special reason why you didn't mount the rear cam on the screen? Doesn't the current position give more glare from the glass and vibration as it's mounted on plastic?
And yes, soldering has the best connection and if done properly, will never fail.

Is there a special reason why you didn't mount the rear cam on the screen? Doesn't the current position give more glare from the glass and vibration as it's mounted on plastic?
And yes, soldering has the best connection and if done properly, will never fail.
Mostly to keep it as high as possible. Never really had any vibration issues with doing this in previous cars. On this car that piece of trim has 4 clips in to the metalwork and the 3 in each of the 2 pieces either side so very little chance of movement.

Glare should be okay back there as the interior is completely black.

Seemed okay when I was getting things lined up with the sun shining straight on the back of the car. Can always move it if needs be but don't foresee a need to. I've installed quite a few this way and never had issues with glare.

Less chance of the sun being on the lens causing lens reflections with it mounted there, so plusses and minuses.

So had it out for a drive today and got back to find it had recorded sporadically in Parking Mode and little else.

I have checked and re-checked the wiring, reset the camera and double checked all the settings numerous times.
I've soldered the fuse taps to make sure there was a good connection.

For some reason I can get it to power on with the car but not enter parking mode or turn off (parking mode disabled) when the car goes off.

Swapping the wires powers on the camera as soon as the Yellow is hooked up to 12V and will not switch on with the car so guessing they are labelled correctly..

Could this be a fault with the HK4 kit or the camera itself not detecting the 12v being lost on the yellow wire?

Attachments

• PXL_20240323_115350038.jpg
    PXL_20240323_115350038.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20240324_145236871.jpg
    PXL_20240324_145236871.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240324-144658.png
    Screenshot_20240324-144658.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
So had it out for a drive today and got back to find it had recorded sporadically in Parking Mode and little else.

I have checked and re-checked the wiring, reset the camera and double checked all the settings numerous times.
I've soldered the fuse taps to make sure there was a good connection.

For some reason I can get it to power on with the car but not enter parking mode or turn off (parking mode disabled) when the car goes off.

Swapping the wires powers on the camera as soon as the Yellow is hooked up to 12V and will not switch on with the car so guessing they are labelled correctly..

Could this be a fault with the HK4 kit or the camera itself not detecting the 12v being lost on the yellow wire?
Check again that the НK4 connection is correct.

The red (battery) is going to a 12v constant source and the yellow (ACC) is switched with the ignition as they should be.
It will power on with the car but won't turn off or enter parking mode or will enter parking mode while driving I think this was only if I had the timer set for 90 seconds).

If I pull the yellow wire while the camera is on it doesn't switch off/over either. Seems to be something up with the detection of the ignition off state.

Ticket submitted same time I posted the issue. Just thought I'd see if anyone here had had any similar issues. Seen a couple of reports that have been resolved with another HK4.

As for the fuse locations I used these seem to be pretty popular choices on my car (Lexus CT200h) so plenty of installs have been done the same way.

The red (battery) is going to a 12v constant source and the yellow (ACC) is switched with the ignition as they should be.
I'm wondering if you have a problem with the black wire, it is fairly common for people to make a poor ground connection, often by clamping it to plastic! A poor ground connection might be messing with the voltage the camera detects on the ACC wire.

Everything has been tested out wiring wise multiple times while installing and again today while fault finding.

Ground is connected to an unpainted stud in the bodywork behind the dash which all tests out to ground just fine.

Without physically opening the HK4 and tracing the circuitry the wiring is all hooked up as it should be. Just seems to be some issue with it detecting the ignition being switched off.

Being that it powers up with the ignition (after manually turning it off) it's getting the switched connection.

Good News.

Replaced the HK4 and all is well. Now my car is kitted out again. Having run dashcams for about 10 years now it's always a horrid feeling those brief times I'm without one when changing cars.

Back