Two questions for A229 plus/pro owners

prv008

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dear A229 plus/pro owners - can you answer two questions that I can't seem to find the answers anywhere for.
  1. Does the rear camera have a separate mic or do rear cam videos simply use the audio from the front camera mic?
  2. Is the cable connecting the front and rear camera a standard USB C data cable or is it a proprietary cable with just USB C connections?
Thanks in advance!!

1. Does the rear camera have a separate mic or do rear cam videos simply use the audio from the front camera mic?
There is only one mic, and it's in the front / main camera, and the audio from that mic is used on the Rear & IR Interior cameras.
The original A229 Duo (2022) had an external mic jack so you could use the Viofo external microphone, and the audio quality was awesome, (best of any dash cam from Viofo, or any other brand I've tested).
Sadly the A229 Pro / Plus lost the external mic jack because they repurposed it for the IR Interior camera output =(

1. Is the cable connecting the front and rear camera a standard USB C data cable or is it a proprietary cable with just USB C connections?
The cable is Type-C to Type-C.
The included rear cable is 6 Meters in length, and you can purchase optional lengths of;
1 Meter
8 Meter
10 Meter

Screenshot 2024-03-26 10.31.47 PM.png

There have been some folks who found some aftermarket cables on Amazon.
You might need to buy, try, and return until you find one that works.

There is only one mic, and it's in the front / main camera, and the audio from that mic is used on the Rear & IR Interior cameras.
The original A229 Duo (2022) had an external mic jack so you could use the Viofo external microphone, and the audio quality was awesome, (best of any dash cam from Viofo, or any other brand I've tested).
Sadly the A229 Pro / Plus lost the external mic jack because they repurposed it for the IR Interior camera output =(

@Panzer Platform

The external microphone does a good job depending on its location.
Frankly, I suggested an external microphone for pro and plus, but I was told that it was not technically suitable.

So, just like it works when you plug the power cable into the rear camera input of the main camera, I imagined that it could be used as a microphone by plugging a microphone into the 3.5 mm internal camera input. This will at least provide an option as an alternative accessory for those using a single camera or front-rear camera.

1. Is the cable connecting the front and rear camera a standard USB C data cable or is it a proprietary cable with just USB C connections?
It carries video, so is a high speed data cable. I'm not sure what the actual specification requirement is, but a cheap standard USB Type C data cable is unlikely to work. Using Viofo supplied cables is recommended, but maybe not essential.

Is the cable connecting the front and rear camera a standard USB C data cable or is it a proprietary cable with just USB C connections?
This is a cable with USB-C plugs on both ends to transfer video from the rear camera to the main unit,
as well as to transfer power from the main unit to the rear camera. The rear camera has its own processor.
I've tried several data cables with different features and different prices. None of them worked with the rear camera. Neither cheap nor expensive.

Back