A229 Plus Test & Review PP

2nd: did you measure the vertical angle by any chance?
Depends on the aspect ratio you use, most people use 16:9, so divide the horizontal angle by 16 and then multiply by 9 will give you the vertical angle.
The angles will be greater nearer the corners as all dashcams have fisheye distortion due to the very wide field of view, Panzer's figures are for the centre of the image.

H.265 only saved 11% more recording time on the A139 Pro;
H265 saved 11% because it used a lower bitrate, which you could also get by reducing the bitrate setting for H264.
More realistically it did not save anything, except when parked, when a low bitrate was used anyway so was not significant.

Does this dashcam has the option to record in H265/HEVC to save space?
You can save space by turning down the bitrate setting, at a small loss in quality, which you would also get with H265.

another thing that i noticed and therefore decided to go for 2 channels instead of 3: bitrate and resolution may be the same, but what about the framerate? seems like while i have 2k 60fps
60fps is not important for recording accident video. Makes nicer, smoother movies, but does not record better evidence, unless you drive a race car on track.

H265 saved 11% because it used a lower bitrate, which you could also get by reducing the bitrate setting for H264.
More realistically it did not save anything, except when parked, when a low bitrate was used anyway so was not significant.

You can save space by turning down the bitrate setting, at a small loss in quality, which you would also get with H265.
H265 has better compression file size / quality. So if h264 vs h265 has same file size (same bitrate), then the h265 file should have better quality. In theory it should be possible to get same quality of h264 while using lower bitrate with h265 and so save SD space.

H265 has better compression file size / quality. So if h264 vs h265 has same file size (same bitrate), then the h265 file should have better quality. In theory it should be possible to get same quality of h264 while using lower bitrate with h265 and so save SD space.
Good theory, but in reality the extra compression algorithms of H265 do not manage to do anything useful when on the road, it will only do anything useful when parked, and then the camera will be using low bitrate anyway. Works well for people sitting in a TV studio, does OK on movies, but not for dashcam driving video.

Good theory, but in reality the extra compression algorithms of H265 do not manage to do anything useful when on the road, it will only do anything useful when parked, and then the camera will be using low bitrate anyway. Works well for people sitting in a TV studio, does OK on movies, but not for dashcam driving video.
Do you know which is the bitrate in low bitrate parking mode for 3 channel?

I have another question: can the a229 plus be programmed to activate Parking Mode at specific time? For example i want the dashcam to record in low bitrate parking mode from 22:00 to 07:00. So that i can leave my car at 18:00 and the camera start recording at 22:00.

I don't know for the new A229 cameras, maybe @Panzer Platform can answer, but Low Bitrate on Viofo cameras is normally between 4Mb/s and 8Mb/s for a 4K video, depending on the amount of movement in the image, and at night on the amount of image noise, some cameras are a bit better than others on noise and that can make a significant difference to the bitrate. Most of the 4K cameras reduce to 2K for parking mode, so probably between 4 and 6Mb/s/channel.

I have another question: can the a229 plus be programmed to activate Parking Mode at specific time? For example i want the dashcam to record in low bitrate parking mode from 22:00 to 07:00. So that i can leave my car at 18:00 and the camera start recording at 22:00.
No, only control on time is the Parking Duration Time, which is useful, but doesn't do what you ask for.

I include the video bitrates for the various recording modes in my power consumption charts.

A229 Pro Power Consumption Data
  • A229 Pro 3CH Low Bitrate Parking Mode
    • 1440p 30fps (Front) + 1440p 30fps (Rear) + 1080p 30fps (Interior)
      • If the firmware resolution setting sets the front camera to 2160p in normal recording mode, the front camera resolution is changed to 2560x1440 (1440p) when in parking mode.
    • 4.10 Mbps (Front) + 4.10 Mbps (Rear) + 3.93 Mbps (Interior)
A229 Plus Power Consumption Data
  • A229 Plus 3CH Low Bitrate Parking Mode
    • 1440p 30fps (Front) + 1440p 30fps (Rear) + 1080p 30fps (Interior)
    • 4.10 Mbps (Front) + 4.09 Mbps (Rear) + 3.95 Mbps (Interior)

60fps is not important for recording accident video. Makes nicer, smoother movies, but does not record better evidence, unless you drive a race car on track.

earlier this year, i had a small accident where on a narrow road the car on the other lane, driving a bit too wide, smashed my wing mirror. i don't think we were driving more than 100 kph combined, but there was a drizzle, window was wet, and although i have about 6 seconds where he is close enough that the plate would be readable (happened around noon, so there was plenty of light), there is just a few frames where anything on the plate is readable. it was my A119s, so higher resolution and more FPS would make it easier back then.
i agree that for most situations 30 or even less fps will be enough, even in my case it was enough to see what happened. but sometimes details are important too.

i agree that for most situations 30 or even less fps will be enough, even in my case it was enough to see what happened. but sometimes details are important too.
That it is not what he said. It's not about 30 fps it's enough. It is better.
Smother images doesn't mean better details.

Anyway, it is better to read tons of information on this subject that they have been already discussed on this forum for years with footage and proves. You are not going to reinvent the wheel, no hard feelings.

it was my A119s, so higher resolution and more FPS would make it easier back then.
Not many people here are using FHD front resolution cameras now, and this is a thread about a 2K dashcam, so my comment was intended more for the higher resolution cameras. A 4K camera with 4x the pixels of yours should be able to see to read plates twice as far away as yours (given the same FoV), thus giving you twice as many readable frames without needing to increase the fps, and in fact it is often far more than that because you get far less motion blur further away. In reality, the 2K A229 Plus will probably give you more than twice as many readable frames, because not only can it see further, but it also has a lot less motion blur close up due to faster exposure times. It is very hard to find situations were 60fps actually helps read a plate on 2K and 4K dashcams. For a while now, 60fps has often come with less bitrate than 30fps, not twice the bitrate so that you get the same number of bits per frame, so you also get reduced image quality from 60fps, although I am not sure that will continue with newer more capable processors.

For a while now, 60fps has often come with less bitrate than 30fps, not twice the bitrate so that you get the same number of bits per frame, so you also get reduced image quality from 60fps, although I am not sure that will continue with newer more capable processors.

that's an excellent point actually. looking forward to verify it "in the wild" :)

So can you confirm that it is possible to use the parking mode even without the hardwire kit? I can use a powerbank with continous power and the dashcam switch automatically to parking mode based on GPS.
@fabri @ozguy @Karagandinez @Panzer Platform @VIOFO-Support

I tested A229 Plus 2ch and can confirm that it does enter parking mode after exactly 10 min seating on my bench.
Also any movement in front of camera after it enters parking mode isn’t effecting it.

This is different from Mini2, which enters parking mode after 5 min, and I think, but not sure, any movement in front of camera would switch it back to normal recording (it’s been long time when I tested Mini2, so better confirm on motion effect)

A229 Plus 2 ch was powered by included Viofo Cigar Adapter and cable
DVR is set for low bit-rate parking mode
FW is original as it came w/DVR (have not updated yet)
VIOFO_A229S_V1.0_231009
Rear Camera : V1.0_230928

@fabri @ozguy @Karagandinez @Panzer Platform @VIOFO-Support

I tested A229 Plus 2ch and can confirm that it does enter parking mode after exactly 10 min seating on my bench.
Also any movement in front of camera after it enters parking mode isn’t effecting it.

This is different from Mini2, which enters parking mode after 5 min, and I think, but not sure, any movement in front of camera would switch it back to normal recording (it’s been long time when I tested Mini2, so better confirm on motion effect)

A229 Plus 2 ch was powered by included Viofo Cigar Adapter and cable
DVR is set for low bit-rate parking mode
FW is original as it came w/DVR (have not updated yet)
VIOFO_A229S_V1.0_231009
Rear Camera : V1.0_230928
Perhaps there was some movement in the frame in front of the A229 Plus, but there was no movement in the Mini 2.
Because of this, there is a difference in time when switching to parking mode.
If the Mini 2 has parking mode turned on: low bitrate recording, then it will also not start recording when moving in the frame.
The parking mode is exited after the vehicle reaches a speed of more than 8 km/h.

So sorry that the H.265 option has been disabled on the A229 Plus/Pro.
Just curious, why was H.265 disabled on the A229 Plus/Pro? I'm hoping it comes back in a future iteration but at least with the A229 Plus, I can use a 512gb card which will help

PS. For my own learning purposes I am pasting the following here and I'm bookmarking this thread. H.265 can achieve up to 50% more compression than H.264. H.265 can transmit the same quality video as H.264 but using less bandwidth or storage.

Last edited:
New Firmware V1.2 240227 - HDR Performance
@viofo @VIOFO-Support

Before I gather “DRIVING” test footage I wanted to compare static HDR performance with the previous firmware V1.1 231208.
Unfortunately so far I see no change in HDR performance.
HDR performance is very poor compared to the A119 Mini 2, (same IMX675 & Novatek 96580).
I only have one A229 Plus test unit, so I had to update the firmware in the field, and remember to stand in the same spot.
Hopefully I will see some improvements in the “DRIVING” test footage I plan to gather later tonight.
Cameras on the test rig;
A229 Plus Firmware: V1.1 231208
A229 Plus Firmware: V1.2 240227
A119 Mini 2 Firmware: V1.0_20231116

1 .png
2 .png
3 .png

Here’s the test footage the screenshots were taken from;

Additional screenshots;

1 .png
2 .png
3 .png

why was H.265 disabled on the A229 Plus/Pro? I'm hoping it comes back
Hello,
Seeing how your post has not been replied to in 3 months allow me to stick my nose in here. Lol
H.265 has never been “officially” supported due to licensing issues.
There were times in the past is was available in “secret”.
Most likely H.265 will never be added, or supported in the future.

H.265 can achieve up to 50% more compression than H.264. H.265 can transmit the same quality video as H.264 but using less bandwidth or storage.
This is incorrect with Viofo dash cams.
I tested it on the A139 Pro & WM1.
On the A139 Pro it only “saved“ 11% more data on the SD Card.
However, it increased power consumption, and heat output, (not good for parking mode).
-Chuck

HDR performance is very poor compared to the A119 Mini 2,
The Mini 2 in those images is relatively under exposed, otherwise I don't see much difference.

Why do you think the A229 Plus exposure is very poor compared to the Mini 2?

It appears to me that the background is significantly better on the A229, the illuminated sign is slightly worse due to over exposure, but we are more interested in license plates than illuminated signs, and license plates have much less illumination, and probably less light overall, so lets see how it does with plates... For your torch test, I'm not sure if that is a sensible brightness for the test, depends how bright the torch is, but then headlights come in different brightnesses too. It would be nice if it could handle all brightnesses, but there are always compromises to make.

This time the "vertical streaks" above the illuminated sign are about as vertical as the lamp pole behind them! And they are identical on both firmwares, they really do look like there is something on the lens surface (s). Might be on the internal surfaces if you have the external surface and CPL surfaces properly clean... maybe rotate the CPL a little to prove it is not from that... And rotate the camera a little to prove that it is from the camera...

Don't forget the daytime HDR test...

Back