About the GPS 'flip' and mounting on the 'frit'

G
the further apart the better but a few inches away is still fine, just don't put them right next to each other
Great to know because I made the wire short. Don't like the long wire as I posted on the other post. Mine probably 10 inchs apart from the camera.

forgot to read fine print when I signed, too busy getting rushed to do anything else.

Didn't you know that what is hers is hers and what is yours is also hers. :)

I have installed a dashmat in the car now. there hasn't been enough sun to try it out for any improvement yet ,though. Does anybody think leaving the GPS unit under the dashmat will hurt the performance at all? I am trying it out to see what happens.

How effective would the GPS unit be if mounted on a vertical (or nearly vertical) surface, like say rear side window in the rear of an SUV?

How effective would the GPS unit be if mounted on a vertical (or nearly vertical) surface, like say rear side window in the rear of an SUV?

it will work but it may work better in some directions than others at times depending on line of sight

it will work but it may work better in some directions than others at times depending on line of sight
That's what I was thinking. I may have time to give it a try tomorrow. I have a pair of A118-C's laying around that were in my wife's car but were replaced with a CF-100 (due to static interference in her radio) and I mounted them as side-view cameras. I'll just tape the GPS units to the window and see how it works out. If it's a 'keeper' then figure out what to do with all the excess wiring.

it may it times be a bit slower to lock but should be ok for the most part once it locks on
Thanks. That would be more than acceptable. Will give it a go later today.

it may it times be a bit slower to lock but should be ok for the most part once it locks on
Well, gave it a try and you are right. Acquisition is slower but once locked in worked well. Never lost the signal going under bridges, train trestles, etc. For this I was using the original V1 GPS (unit that came with one of my V1 GC's) in the A118-C.

The specific GPS unit does make a significant difference though. With the second side mounted A118-C I used the GPS unit that came with it (SypTec version) and performance was nowhere near as good or stable. I would sometime not get a lock even after driving 20 minutes or more and when it did the location data was erratic - going from being hundreds of yards away from where I actually was to being spot on and then drifting off again. On longer highway trips with fewer direction changes it was a bit more stable.

I'd guess that in this case the install type isn't favorable and having marginal signal is the type of situation where you might more easily notice the difference between the performance of different GPS units

Back