About the GPS 'flip' and mounting on the 'frit'

Damn Dirty Ape

Reaction score
Country
United States
If one does the GPS 'flip' and mounts on the 'frit' along the top of the windshield, is it known if the dots will interfere with the GPS reception? I'm not sure if they are just a sort of paint or metallic or..

dots won't interfere, don't position the GPS too close to the camera though, that will interfere with reception

I don't mean to highjack this thread but I do have a related question.

Is there a possibility that having the GPS antenna mounted on the rear glass that has defroster/radio antenna wires could affect the GPS signal reception?

I ask because I have a 'GC' mounted front and rear with the GPS on both and have noticed that it takes the rear camera considerably (and consistently) longer to acquire a GPS fix. I'm talking in terms of 50% to 100% longer - 90 seconds for the front camera on a cold start but 2.5 to 3 minutes for the rear camera.

The antenna for the front camera is mounted in the upper corner of the windshield while the rear antenna is in the lower corner (both are properly oriented towards the sky). I've not gone through the exercise of switching cameras/antennas or moving the rear antenna to see if that has any effect.

Edit: The rear window is more vertical than the windshield and that may be a contributing factor.

This is where I have mounted mine.

SG9665GC GPS antenna location.jpg

windscreen angle will play a part as it does make it a bit more directional, radio antenna wires may have some added effect also, defroster won't matter while ever it's turned off

This is where I have mounted mine...

That's where my front one is mounted as well.

windscreen angle will play a part as it does make it a bit more directional...
That was my thinking also - antenna is probably 45 degrees from horizontal.

That's where my front one is mounted as well.

That was my thinking also - antenna is probably 45 degrees from horizontal.

Depending on car make / model/ Mine is at about 30 degree. Overnignt parking cold GPS lock is usually from 30 sec to 1 min.

Depending on car make / model/ Mine is at about 30 degree. Overnignt parking cold GPS lock is usually from 30 sec to 1 min.
That's about what my front camera takes to get a lock - windscreen angle looks to be about the same as yours. The rear window is more vertical and that's the one where the GPS lock takes longer.

That's about what my front camera takes to get a lock - windscreen angle looks to be about the same as yours. The rear window is more vertical and that's the one where the GPS lock takes longer.
Try GPS extension cable for rear cam to run along roof-line and mount on windshield at other A-pillar corner.

Try GPS extension cable for rear cam to run along roof-line and mount on windshield at other A-pillar corner.
Interesting thought - I'll have to dig around in my "box of cables that I never throw away because I might need one someday" :rolleyes: to see if I have something that will work.

Interesting thought - I'll have to dig around in my "box of cables that I never throw away because I might need one someday" :rolleyes: to see if I have something that will work.

"Hoarding" ? - I know this feeling, but my other half don't understand @ "I never throw away because I might need one someday" ;)

I'm moving in with the mrs next year - currently my stuff is at my house and her stuff is at her house.

I just know the new house is going to be for her stuff and I'll be locked away in the shed or mancave which I plan to turn the garage into :)

I'm moving in with the mrs next year - currently my stuff is at my house and her stuff is at her house.

I just know the new house is going to be for her stuff and I'll be locked away in the shed or mancave which I plan to turn the garage into :)

Same story here, - shed is my saver !

im even being forced to clean that up even though its my domain.
"Your domain" ?, - check your hands, can you see "that ring" ? Now open you marriage cert and read between the lines about what is "your domain" ;)

"Your domain" ?, - check your hands, can you see "that ring" ? Now open you marriage cert and read between the lines about what is "your domain" ;)
forgot to read fine print when I signed, too busy getting rushed to do anything else.

That upper front corner is where mine will go now. Was going to put it right beside the camera but it's apparently advised against.

:D

dots won't interfere, don't position the GPS too close to the camera though, that will interfere with reception
How close it is to the camera that will cause reception?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
normm SG9665GC 3
pc00 SG9665GC 1
D SG9665GC 4
C SG9665GC 5
steve11 SG9665GC 18
Back