Advice for precise location of A119 V3 on windscreen (in a RHD vehicle)

Mine is positioned right hand side up behind the mirror. 2014 mk4 Honda CR-V. Had its MOT last week and nothing was mentioned about the camera. It is mostly out of sight but a you can give it a quick squint to make sure it’s recording etc also gives a nice central look to the recordingS.
The garage (shop) that I take my vehicles to for servicing and work doesn't do the MOTs itself, the vehicles have to be taken by them to another garage that does the MOT inspection and unfortunately, the MOT inspector is known to be quite strict! So I will keep the dashcam away from the sweep of the driver's windscreen wiper.

Part of my 'pre-flight checks' is to listen for the musical jingle as the camera starts recording. I've got mine on the 5 second delay and it's wired to Ign pos 2 so once I get the jingle there's no power dip or cut to affect it....hopefully.
My vehicle is quite an old diesel, so I have to wait for the glow plug light to go out before I start the engine. With the old RoadHawks, I had to start the vehicle before the RoadHawks started else there was a good chance that they didn't record audio. This is a strange fact, and it took me a long time to work out why the RoadHawks didn't always record audio.

Like you, I do a pre-flight checklist before I drive off.

I do feel it's important that you be able to ensure cam start-up and functioning where it's mounted, and that buttons you will use are easily accessed either by sight or positive feel.
Yes, whilst you shouldn't be distracted by the dashcam, it is good to know where all of the buttons are.

You also want to consider that when mounting behind a mirror that any other drivers of the car will be able to adjust the mirror as they need to without the cam interfering. If you're tall and there's no space, when your shorter wife drives she will need to swing the mirror over more and then you've got problems.
This is a consideration and one of the reasons that I mounted the dashcam on the passenger's side. My wife doesn't drive my vehicles - as the clutch is too heavy on both of them.

Regards,

I realise that this is an old thread but I have just rejoined after some years away and I was interested in the discussion. Firstly, although this has been long resolved by now, my own cam is high up just below the black dots to the left (LHD) of the mirror. I can see it clearly and have enough room to remove it for file checking as I am right handed. You will know why I remove it for that, and just a little warning for some, if I tell you that once my nail slipped off the edge of the card and the spring flipped it over my shoulder and was never, despite long and arduous searches, seen again. :oops::ROFLMAO:

Same reason I bring the whole V3 indoors and use it as a card reader.

Same thing here spardo, but I managed to catch it just in time between my teeth. :ROFLMAO:
I remove the cam from the screen bracket & remove card whilst in my hands.
These little micro sd cards are spicy critters. :penguin:

The club of people with unintentional premature memory card ejection are still growing.
It have not happed for me since the summer 2021, i am now very careful and removing a memory card are a 2 hand operation, as you must i use a nail to insert / eject the card, but at the same time i have another finger over the card so if my nail slip the card will just move a mm or two before it hit my other finger.

Mind you i will probably soon have a premature ejection again.

Kamkar, and can you tell us, what size nail do you use??
I have loads of 4"

My card has been in the V3 for almost 3 years now.

I bring the whole cam indoors and use it as a card reader to offload the footage to the PC.

Proper job :)

Back