After the fires: a journey through the scorched earth.

Module 79L

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Dash Cam
AT11DA, SG9665XS, G1W-H
I'm amazed at how little 'green' there is. With your weather being what it's been the vegetation must be quite stressed. Easy to understand how wild fires can develop under those conditions. :(

I'm amazed at how little 'green' there is. With your weather being what it's been the vegetation must be quite stressed. Easy to understand how wild fires can develop under those conditions. :(
I only showcased the areas affected by those two fires, obviously green is not one of the main colors. Despite almost 70% of the country being in a state of severe drought, more than half of the country is still very green. :)

The fire was a terrible thing, but it is still a beautiful country though.
I know that area like the back of my hand, it breaks my heart to see it like this. :cry:
All those winding roads around the Castelo de Bode's reservoir are (were) one of the most beautiful parts of the country. :(

I know that area like the back of my hand, it breaks my heart to see it like this. :cry:
All those winding roads around the Castelo de Bode's reservoir are (were) one of the most beautiful parts of the country. :(
I saw that on the right hand side of the road in the video. It is a spectacular view, and when the area gets new growth it will really be beautiful. We did not travel to that area of the country out of respect for people living in those areas. It is in our future plans though.

So sad to see the devastation but good that the human losses were so low. The terrain north of here is similar and one fire burned a hillside about 15 years ago. It took about two years to begin greening up again and now the only way to tell there was once a fire is that the trees are all pines- surrounding forests have some hardwoods mixed in. Nature will heal and rebuild but it's not a fast process ;) There were a few fires in the hills here this year but I haven't seen the aftermath of them and I don't really want to. One was at Lake Lure NC,, one of the prettiest places around here :( I prefer to keep the memories I have from there as they were.

Phil

So sad to see the devastation but good that the human losses were so low. The terrain north of here is similar and one fire burned a hillside about 15 years ago. It took about two years to begin greening up again and now the only way to tell there was once a fire is that the trees are all pines- surrounding forests have some hardwoods mixed in. Nature will heal and rebuild but it's not a fast process ;) There were a few fires in the hills here this year but I haven't seen the aftermath of them and I don't really want to. One was at Lake Lure NC,, one of the prettiest places around here :( I prefer to keep the memories I have from there as they were.

Phil
In these two fires there was no loss of human lifes, and even if no one lost their homes, for many people it was like their life ended. The burned area is so large that many of them lost a great chunk their livelihood for many years, because we're not talking about forests only, we're talking agricultural lands, orchards, vineyards, olive trees, etc, some of them belonging to people who live in areas that were not affected directly by the fires. Adding to this the fact that those people are mostly old people, we're not only dealing with a natural catastrophe but also with a human tragedy. :(

According to the latest numbers, the burned area in Portugal since the beginning of 2017 is bigger than all the burned area in the rest of Europe put together, even with the big fires in the south of Spain, France and Greece. And I believe more than half of our burned area is confined to the area shown in the video, which is called Pinhal Interior (the Inner Pine Forest, as opposed to the other one, which is located near the coast) and is divided in two regions: North and South. The North region is where the fire that killed those people in their cars took place, the South region is where the places in this video are located. It's the EU's region with the most aged population.
Funny that they kept the "Pine Forest" name when nowadays more than 60% of it is eucalyptus. :(

I also like to keep the memories I have of how these places were before the fires (and these were not the first fires to affect this area) but now that I have the chance and the means to capture it on film I want to "document" these events to see what these areas will look like in the future. :)

I saw that on the right hand side of the road in the video. It is a spectacular view, and when the area gets new growth it will really be beautiful. We did not travel to that area of the country out of respect for people living in those areas. It is in our future plans though.
Did you know that the reservoir is the same in the whole video (Castelo de Bode Dam's reservoir), even after crossing two districts, several counties and travelling lots of miles? :)

This night / morning temperatures around 5 - 6 degrees C was measured here in Jutland, so i expect we will get the first frost soon :rolleyes:

So much for the summer 2017

This night / morning temperatures around 5 - 6 degrees C was measured here in Jutland, so i expect we will get the first frost soon :rolleyes:...

Must be due to 'global warming'. ;)

Must be due to 'global warming'. ;)
Global warming causes climates changes that makes Summer in Denmark feel like Autumn. ;)

Yeah Al Gore dont work up here,,,,,,, LOL,,,,,, i actually feel AL Gore would feel right at home here with the other creeps the Danes god know why keep trusting and voting on.

I am hoping next summer the heatwaves will reach all the way up here, and the first patches of Greenland Bedrock will come into view where the ice use to be for millennia.
Not least as then my apartment will be seaside property as i live pretty much as high up in Randers town as you can ( town sort of build on slopes down towards the Gudenaa river that run thru town )

Back