Air Bag Pillar

Cardigan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put this cam in place today.

I brought the wire down left hand (passenger) side sliding the wire just inside the space between the wind screen glass and head lining and also the air bag pillar cover.

I read elsewhere about being concerned to bring the wire down the ‘correct’ side of the air bag pillar (without an explanation of which was the correct side) The pillar has a glass side and a door side. I have slid the wire along the glass just inside the pillar covering and down to length of the pillar (glass side) to the dashboard (see attached pics).

Of course I don’t know what is inside that pillar covering but I can’t see why the wire laying as it is should obstruct anything? Should I be worried?

Attachments

• DSC00082_001.jpg
    DSC00082_001.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 295
  • cam 1.jpg
    cam 1.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 292
I wouldn't be afraid to remove the cover. All cars are similar in how to remove them.

During an accident, it is intended to fly off. There are no fasteners holding it down besides pop in buttons. Just pull it out.

Last video has no airbag in pillar.

Last edited by a moderator:
flank said:
I wouldn't be afraid to remove the cover. All cars are similar in how to remove them.

During an accident, it is intended to fly off. There are no fasteners holding it down besides pop in buttons. Just pull it out.

What about the button / plug with air bag written on it, how does that affect the operation?

That little air bag tag should be just a pop off cover.

This is from my Honda. My cover is still off for a week because I'm still working on a few things.

pillarcoverab.jpg

airbagcover1.jpg

airbagcover.jpg

flank said:
That little air bag tag should be just a pop off cover.

This is from my Honda. My cover is still off for a week because I'm still working on a few things.

Thanks what does that cover do; what is it for; what's it covering?

I'm a bit worried about saetting off the air bag!

I also have my cable running along the A-pillar, just under the airbag cover. I am not at all worried about setting off the airbag and neither should you be. I would be extremely surprised if you could manually deploy the airbag without deliberately running an electric charge to the ignition module (of the airbag, not the ignition of the car).
What I am slightly worried about is obstructing the deployment path of the airbag in the event of a crash. I don't want the airbag to be deflected or to have it pull the cable and have the camera fly into my or my passenger's face.

Hi,

my cable is also hidden at the glass side of the A-pillar. I very carefully pushed it into the small place between glass and plastic cover. In the instruction manual for my car it is always very strictly advised to remove battery power when working at any air-bag related place (seat, pillar, head line) to avoid an air-bag explosion!

Regards

I'm about to build a Viofo A129 into a 2018 Civic Sedan which has also built in airbags in the a-pillar.

Just for understanding, why do some of you guys remove the battery power of the car while hardwireing a dash cam? I mean the car is off, there is absolutely no chance that the airbag can go off, when the car is not running, right? :-D

There's always a chance... You don't want to short something and have it go off... That's what the prudent me says. But real life me wouldn't disconnect the battery.... I'd just pull the cover to run the wire.

Same here never pulled car battery.
Behind my A pillar are just a string for the curtain airbag that i assume reside over the doors, the B pillar i had the plastic off too once and as far as i recall nothing there either.
I think in the roof is one big bag that cover both front and rear seat.

I'm about to build a Viofo A129 into a 2018 Civic Sedan which has also built in airbags in the a-pillar.

Just for understanding, why do some of you guys remove the battery power of the car while hardwireing a dash cam? I mean the car is off, there is absolutely no chance that the airbag can go off, when the car is not running, right? :-D

If your car has side curtains int he Pillars, you must remove all pillars and tuck the wire BEHIND the curtain. I would recommend doing this with the vehicle off, of course. However, battery removal IS AN EXTRA safety measure.

Just because the vehicle is off, DOES NOT mean the vehicle is off. For instance, my power seats still function when the key is removed and vehicle is shut down. While I did not disconnect the battery, the thought process is that some safety systems might still be active even if car is shut off.

In some cars disconnecting the battery (or it going totally dead/flat) will cause issues such as stereo lockdown (anti-theft), engine management reset, and the usual loss of presets on radio, seats, etc.

Just turn the car off and exercise due care. Do not disturb wiring with yellow connectors (often the wire itself will be yellow) or the airbags themselves. They almost never activate by accident unless you mess with under-dash wiring, wiring going to the steering wheel, or a crash sensor. You won't be near any of that.

Phil

In some cars disconnecting the battery (or it going totally dead/flat) will cause issues such as stereo lockdown (anti-theft), engine management reset, and the usual loss of presets on radio, seats, etc.

Exactly, that was one of my biggest concerns.
Today I made the wiring without disconnecting the battery, the car was off and I was very carefull with the cables.

I wonder if there was ever someone who triggered the airbag while hardwiring a dash cam?

Back