Any issues with airbag running wire down A pillar?

fieldofview

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
$60 starter cam: "Car Camcorder P9000, 720p
I'm about to take our VW Golf for its first service since installing a Mini 0801. I ran the wire up the passenger side A pillar tucking the wire under the plastic trim next to the windshield glass. The VW service guys will likely see the camera and where the wires are routed. Have you been told by service mechanics to not put anything under the trim? I'm assuming when the air bag deploys, the trim pops off or swings open? This is our first car with airbags. Is there any risk the wire interferes with the operation of the airbag?

Thanks.

With the force at which airbags deploy that wire is not going to get in their way. I installed one camera in my Mark VII Golf w/o hesitation.

For your own safety best if you pull away A-pillar cover and reinstall power cable the that it will stay behind airbag. Good advice is to tape ot to A pillar car body behind air bag.
Then take pictures and show to dealer, do they know that job is done properly, but most important is that its for your own safety as I mentioned.

Thanks for the tips. Agreed I'd want the airbag to deploy properly when needed. I'll make sure the wire is behind the airbag.

For your own safety best if you pull away A-pillar cover and reinstall power cable the that it will stay behind airbag. Good advice is to tape ot to A pillar car body behind air bag.
Then take pictures and show to dealer, do they know that job is done properly, but most important is that its for your own safety as I mentioned.
Agree with Niko here, definitely don't run the cable down the door opening side of the pillar.
An example of what you find behind the A pillar trim on modern cars:
6h6t7a.jpg

..AND be very carefully when working in the area where Airbags are fitted - remove the appropriate fuse/s just to be sure.

Back