All of trip not recorded sometimes

Mr. Craig

Reaction score
Country
United States
Two, maybe three times, including this morning, I have had an issue. Otherwise the cam has been great. I was going to work which is about a 10 minute drive and had a very close call with someone who just didn't see my car. When I went to view the video to see how close it was I see about the first 30 seconds of the trip was recorded and nothing else. I see the video cut out at a very smooth point in the roadway (No speed bumps or such). At first I was thinking it just shifted the plug and didn't get power. It was Just a very random place to quit. Several months ago I went to view a close call and I saw just the very end of a 10 minute trip was recorded. I know this doesn't happen often since I view the recording fairly often. It does has the original firmware on it I never updated it since I hadn't had problems until now. Would that fix it? Maybe it is a memory card issue? Maybe another issue? Just looking for ideas on why this is happening. Thanks

I have been using the original 64GB Samsung Evo that came with the camera and have also been using the original shipped power supply plugged into the cigarette plug. I did not format in car recently and I will go ahead and update the firmware. Thanks

It’s important to format the card in camera especially if you take it out to review footage on a computer often and even more important to format in camera if its been connected to a Mac.

All good advise.
Also getting footage off the memory card on the computer, be sure to copy it off the card and not move it off the card.
If you are on a MAC then i think the rule of thumb is to format the card in the camera every time you have had the card in the MAC due to the way MAC computers handle such things.

I actually have never taken it off the card, always copied and pasted. Sounds like it might not be a bad idea to reformat though.

I'm just on Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers.

Thanks again, I'll try these things and check often to see if there is missing footage. It'll probably take quite a while to see if these things fixed it though.

A in camera format are good to do once in a while, i dont drive that much but do one every 2-3 months, but since you are on a DC it cant be all that old, and the in camera format are not a absolute must, but still a good thing to do now and then to reset the file structure on the card.
The provided SD card can also go sour, they just seem to do so once in a while no matter what brand it is, you can test the memory card on the computer with the little H2testw program i think SG have that on their page under downloads.
FYI I myself have just retired a 128 GB Trancend 400X memory card, it test out alright and it also work to a degree in any camera, but then suddenly it just cough out.
You can always test the camera with any size other memory card, aside for any ancient ones you might have lying around, SG cameras are not that fussy about memory cards.
It can help you narrow down what might be the problem.

Anyways what ever the problem might be we users in here and the official SG guys will do our best to get you and your camera up and running again.

Do you by any chance have 'motion detection' turned on? What you describe could be explained that way.

Back