alternatives to tape for mounting?

Bakin' In TX

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V2
Hey everyone,

I am loving my camera, it has saved me already a couple of times from dumbasses cutting off and the like.
However, the tape that was included has a lot to be desired. I already went through all of it because it just cannot withstand the heat in Texas.

How are y'all mounting the camera to the windshield? I need something stronger than the 3M tape that was included (which like I said, has all been used) since it loses its adhesiveness very quickly.

Thanks everyone!

tape should not lose adhesion, not cleaning the surfaces before applying or not following the correct procedure (apply pressure for 2 minutes, wait 20 minutes before attaching the camera) are the two main reasons people have issues

@Street Guardian USA will be able to help you out with replacement tape

I followed the instructions to the T. I think I might have an issue because I have ceramic tint in the front, and despite cleaning it, and holding the tape, it started peeling three weeks after I affixed it, then a month after the second time I replaced the tape.

We had 108 F temperatures this summer, and we're still hitting 90 with 40% humidity, so the heat hitting the camera for 10 hours certainly doesnt help.

Thanks jokiin for the help, as always very useful tips.

What kind of car? Do you have a sensor housing behind the RVM? If so consider mounting to the housing vs the window to get it out of direct exposure to the sun.

Sticking direct to smooth glass is best. (if you have a bumpy tint area)

The thin mount is better than the thick mount.

I'm happy to send you more mounts if needed, just send an email or private message with your information.

Thanks for the replies everyone. To answer them:

1) the ceramic tint runs the entire windscreen, its very new, so no peeling/bumps/etc
2) 2015 Ford F150
3) part of the tape got stuck to the windscreen, the other came off extremely easy, both off the glass and the back of the camera
4) I do have a bunch of sensors and covers and stuff on the glass, but the angle of them make mounting the camera there pointless
5) Thanks @StreetGuardianUSA, sending PM.

even if smooth it might be the material itself that the tape has a problem with, not something I'm really familiar with to be honest

I agree. First time Ive done this and I had to use a super sticky suction cup for the radar detector.

Some times something weird happen, i once had a lukas dashcam in my car for a good year, and there was no problems at all.
So when i got a new camera the Lukas got transferred to my little sisters car.
BUT ! for the first 3 tries there was no way in hell the dual sided tape would hold onto the base on the lukas camera, on the windscreen there was no problem.
I degrease and cleaned the base of the dashcam every time, last time i even sanded the base a little to make sure it had a clean and level base, and still it would not hold.

So in the end since this was the bond between the dashcam and the tape i put some CA glue on the bottom of the dashcam before i pushed it back on the tape it let go from some days before.
And since that the damn thing remained in place :)

Not saying you should do the same :eek:

for the radar detector.
radar detector? I haven't had one of them for 10 years now, never had a speeding ticket, don't speed any more either.
it had saved my butt several times when I was younger and saved my license once when I was doing 105 in a 60 zone and got with a laser gun.

Never had a radar detector, and its a immeasurable wonder why i never gotten a single speeding ticket in my life.
Same goes for crashing my car and killing myself and or other people :oops: for a while driving was really bad for this guy.

But i have gotten 7 parking tickets for the same place over 3-4 years in the 90ties :rolleyes: in the end i learned not to park there between 16:30 and 17:00 cuz that was then the parking maids came by there on their route.

So yesterday was the first hot day (>30 C) around here since I fitted this cam. Got back after leaving it parked and the cam is dangling from the wires, with the adhesive tape still stuck to the screen. Due to it being an older car with a more raked windshield and having to add the CPL, I couldn't get a decent angle with the thin mounding bracket, and went with the thick one.

On the thick bracket the side with the tape I can now see is only a grid, massively reducing the adhesion area for the tape! I assume this was to save plastic in the manufacturing process. I'd be surprised if the car got over 95C which I understand is the rating for the tape, but I would also assume this is based on full adhesion across the tape area.

Based on the OP's experience with replacing the tape multiple times, anyone got any better ideas? Any chance this bracket could be re-tooled so it's hollow on the dashcam side, not the adhesive side? Should I try filling the holes in the bracket with epoxy, or something heat resistant?

we are doing an updated thick bracket, message me your details and I'll send you one once they're available

Thanks for the fast reply, and the offer; I was hoping when I saw SG USA's reply about the "older" bracket it meant there was a newer, better version available or in the works. I'll send details.

Back