Am I being too click baity?

• Thread starter Deleted member 44607
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 44607

Hey everyone,

This month's upload for some unknown reason shot up in views in just the first few hours/days and has had a VERY mixed response.

Part of me thinks the thumbnail may be to blame: are people expecting fire, explosions, people being tackled violently to the floor? With a title such as "Driving Etiquette" I certainly wouldn't!
It's not as if I lie about there being an arrest either, you clearly see it happen, so not sure on that one.

Another part of me thinks I may have overdone it with the memes a bit. My starting clip, if you don't know who the guy is could be a put-off, for example. Who on earth is Michael from V-sauce? *dislike* Another part of me thinks it could be that maybe the clips just weren't interesting enough, it certainly wasn't the most eventful month, but you work with what you've got, right? :p

Either way I'm hoping some further feedback from some fine dashcam video connoisseurs might help me shed some light on the extremely 50/50 reaction to my video which has had some people seething at the teeth in anger with the comments they leave. I feel very much like I'm marmite right now, either love me or hate me hahaha.

NSFW - Contains swearing

personally not a fan of compilations of stuff we all see everyday, that said though I wouldn't be too upset about negative reactions, it's still a reaction and an audience, some people will tune in just to hate on something, reality TV is proof of that

personally not a fan of compilations of stuff we all see everyday, that said though I wouldn't be too upset about negative reactions, it's still a reaction and an audience, some people will tune in just to hate on something, reality TV is proof of that

Absolutely, yeah I mean I'm stoked about the reaction the video has had, it's just baffling. I've had videos, more often than not get majority likes and maybe a fair few down votes and a handful of hate comments. I've also had videos completely bum out and be 90% negative (this both being on older channels, this one has never really had an audience) but I've never seen such a solid reaction both ways on the same video.

Thats normal for youtube, you better not point fingers at anyone and be less than the most perfect driver yourself, at least thats how it appear most people think, and really its not about that at all.

You need to ignore those people or at least pick your fights, i had schoolkids ( judging by their likes / follow / content on youtube ) go ballistic about my uploads, and i have picked up a silent hater that will thumb down anything i put online, even if its a video of a sunrise or whatever totally not dashcam related.

If you find it hard you can always disable comments on your channel.

Thats normal for youtube, you better not point fingers at anyone and be less than the most perfect driver yourself, at least thats how it appear most people think, and really its not about that at all.

You need to ignore those people or at least pick your fights, i had schoolkids ( judging by their likes / follow / content on youtube ) go ballistic about my uploads, and i have picked up a silent hater that will thumb down anything i put online, even if its a video of a sunrise or whatever totally not dashcam related.

If you find it hard you can always disable comments on your channel.

Nah it's not the comments that bother me, I've even done the same as you and had a cheeky look at who they are when I get them :ROFLMAO: and I swear to god none of the hate commenters are over the age of 14 judging by uploads, watch history, playlists, etc. One of them was in his 40s but strangely enough was willing to have a conversation about what he didn't like, which the answer to that was that the video offered nothing of value. I'm not sure what the thumbnail and title really promise that it offers that it didn't provide. If I want to see crashes or near misses, that's what I'll type in/click on. Not something call Driving Etiquette. I think Jokiin nailed it when he said about people flocking to the video just to hate it because it's gaining views and it's not their cup of tea.

It's more the dislikes that bother me because that in turn causes a snowball effect. And disabling likes or comments often sends alarm bells ringing to potential viewers which increases viewer abandonment. Besides I do love reading the comments every month from the few regulars who are subbed.

One of them was in his 40s but strangely enough was willing to have a conversation about what he didn't like, which the answer to that was that the video offered nothing of value..

need to remind him that when the service (YouTube) is free, he's the product

I am not in it for the views / followers, actually there are a lot of my doings on youtube i dont even get.

Some day i will split off my personal videos and make them all hidden, and then keep the dashcam videos on the current channel, or maybe delete that one and start over.
I have been thinking about abandoning uploading dashcam videos, but then again i feel a little better doing it when i cant turn people in to the police as they have other more important things to do.

it seem like most people do not understand how i can be the least worried about other people braking the law, the consensus seem to be i should just STFU and let the police do its job.

I am not in it for the views / followers, actually there are a lot of my doings on youtube i dont even get.

Some day i will split off my personal videos and make them all hidden, and then keep the dashcam videos on the current channel, or maybe delete that one and start over.
I have been thinking about abandoning uploading dashcam videos, but then again i feel a little better doing it when i cant turn people in to the police as they have other more important things to do.

it seem like most people do not understand how i can be the least worried about other people braking the law, the consensus seem to be i should just STFU and let the police do its job.

Yeah me neither, it's been a bit of a shock to my system having that many views within hours and days, I just like making the videos because I've been wanting to get back in the YouTube game for ages since I was a victim of the partner culling and it gives me something to do and as another plus improves my skills with editing software for my university work. I thought it'd be at least a year before I broke 1'000 on a video if I was lucky.

Anyway I found a fantastic feature I didn't know about on youtube today called "hide user on this channel" or something similar. After looking into it, it works as a shadow ban. No one but the commenter will see their comments and I receive no notification if they comment on anything ever again and it remains hidden from public view. So I've done that today on the extremely hostile comments and I've black listed common phrases and slurs that the personality-free donuts often comment. I know I said the comments aren't my issue but still, it does annoy me. *phone goes off* You're a this, you're a that, *sigh* this again?

But the dislikes have now overtaken the likes so I have to ask is it really that bad of a video? Like I said before I've never seen such a solid response of people liking and disliking. Although I have gone back to the old videos that first began hitting the thousands of some of my favourite dashcammers and they have a similar theme. LOADS of dislikes with loads of likes. So I guess until you have your own following, being a YouTube dashcammer is just a very hostile place to be.

Yeah, it seems to be a very popular opinion, the amount of times I've been called sad or pathetic just because I save clips that don't serve the purpose of supporting an insurance claim in court means I do nothing with my life other than driving around with everything crossed hoping someone pulls out on me.

I think its brave and the right thing to do outing idiots and criminals, the idiots in traffic better be happy i cant turn them in to the police, or i could do that but then police doing nothing would just provoke the hell out of me.
Just like it did when i turned that guy in a few years ago, and i cant bring media in on every thing to get police to do their thing, which in that case was marvel at the level of disregard for traffic rules and then go collect the guys driving license.

The videos exploding in views, thats just one guy taking your video and posting it on some other social media in a context unknown to us.

Nah it's not the comments that bother me, I've even done the same as you and had a cheeky look at who they are when I get them :ROFLMAO: and I swear to god none of the hate commenters are over the age of 14 judging by uploads, watch history, playlists, etc. One of them was in his 40s but strangely enough was willing to have a conversation about what he didn't like, which the answer to that was that the video offered nothing of value. I'm not sure what the thumbnail and title really promise that it offers that it didn't provide. If I want to see crashes or near misses, that's what I'll type in/click on. Not something call Driving Etiquette. I think Jokiin nailed it when he said about people flocking to the video just to hate it because it's gaining views and it's not their cup of tea.

It's more the dislikes that bother me because that in turn causes a snowball effect. And disabling likes or comments often sends alarm bells ringing to potential viewers which increases viewer abandonment. Besides I do love reading the comments every month from the few regulars who are subbed.
Lot's of viewers end up to my videos from other channels/videos, because YouTube groups dash cam videos with "extreme dash cam videos" to keep people viewing videos (advertisements) by suggesting them. I very rarely see anyone actually searching for my videos according to YouTube analytics. By the way, you can find viewer age from analytics too.

Dislikes don't bother me, I have way more those than likes. (see attachment below)

Who even is there for views or followers these days? Dash cam videos aren't even that popular.
I don't care if anyone watches my videos or not, they are just to share with friends and family.. but public anyway.

Yeah me neither, it's been a bit of a shock to my system having that many views within hours and days, I just like making the videos because I've been wanting to get back in the YouTube game for ages since I was a victim of the partner culling and it gives me something to do and as another plus improves my skills with editing software for my university work. I thought it'd be at least a year before I broke 1'000 on a video if I was lucky.

Anyway I found a fantastic feature I didn't know about on youtube today called "hide user on this channel" or something similar. After looking into it, it works as a shadow ban. No one but the commenter will see their comments and I receive no notification if they comment on anything ever again and it remains hidden from public view. So I've done that today on the extremely hostile comments and I've black listed common phrases and slurs that the personality-free donuts often comment. I know I said the comments aren't my issue but still, it does annoy me. *phone goes off* You're a this, you're a that, *sigh* this again?

But the dislikes have now overtaken the likes so I have to ask is it really that bad of a video? Like I said before I've never seen such a solid response of people liking and disliking. Although I have gone back to the old videos that first began hitting the thousands of some of my favourite dashcammers and they have a similar theme. LOADS of dislikes with loads of likes. So I guess until you have your own following, being a YouTube dashcammer is just a very hostile place to be.

Yeah, it seems to be a very popular opinion, the amount of times I've been called sad or pathetic just because I save clips that don't serve the purpose of supporting an insurance claim in court means I do nothing with my life other than driving around with everything crossed hoping someone pulls out on me.
Have you actually reported anyone to YouTube for hateful commenting?
I would be interested to see if they ban or apply any restrictions or cool downs to repeat offenders.

I have not, yet, reported anyone myself because it used to delete that comment from my list (does it still do that?) and I want to keep my "trophies" and document them before I report the worst ones.

I think its brave and the right thing to do outing idiots and criminals, the idiots in traffic better be happy i cant turn them in to the police, or i could do that but then police doing nothing would just provoke the hell out of me.
Just like it did when i turned that guy in a few years ago, and i cant bring media in on every thing to get police to do their thing, which in that case was marvel at the level of disregard for traffic rules and then go collect the guys driving license.

The videos exploding in views, thats just one guy taking your video and posting it on some other social media in a context unknown to us.
According to YouTube analytics people used to post/share my videos on 4chan clone and other Finnish (my country) online boards but now after a few years of hateful commenting and dislikes they seemed to got bored of it after I didn't publish a single comment from them or pay any attention to them on YouTube or where they shared my videos, if I was lucky enough to actually find them - over 90% I couldn't find by quickly searching for them or YouTube analytics showing me a direct link to the page, which YouTube analytics no longer does.

See the attachment for the huge amount of dislikes and hateful comments on my videos.
Contains life time (of the channel) of analytics data, Sep 27, 2013 – Jul 13, 2018.

Attachments

• ythate.png
    ythate.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 8
I think that may will baulk at 12 minute long videos of dashcam videos - most of the scenes are common and have been seen so many times before and you would perhaps find many will watch the first few minutes and then stop.

Back