Driverless Uber vehicle being tested, right hand turn bike Lane

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Maybe a driverless cycle too, it didn't handle it well either!
I wonder if the car stopped on its own or needed the supervisor to take control.

Dont turn like that over here or you will have a mob of pedal pushers on your ass, the "wrong" are pretty much how you do it here, but you as the car driver must look back and let pedal pushers go strait or turn before you make your right turn.

Not that pedalpushers would turn left and pass you there like in the "right" picture, but that would be wrong here though that do not seem to bother pedal pushers here.

Sadly the only way to stop cyclists putting themselves on your inside as you turn is to skim the kerb on the approach, so I think the system shown above is good. You need to have a lane structure that provides safety, and everyone needs to respect it. Even machines.

Later in the day, I did a right hand turn from I understand is the legal way to do so. The peddle pusher said I was a $#@!

You use to be told that getting a license here, and people still do it, and that in turn just make some pedal pushers take to the sidewalk where they have nothing to do, or swerve into the car lanes where pedalpuhers have absolutely nothing to do, but where they will also go gladly.

But it is getting rare as for you to be able to block a cyclist like that mean you both have to be at the same level, and we get more and more bicycle paths that is elevated 4 inches or more from the road by a curb.

If a two-wheeler is ever obstructed for whatever reason, everyone else is in the wrong and the 2-wheeler is entitled to do whatever is necessary to continue...
Looks like we have elevated paths for motorcycles now:

I have been informed they are not driverless, just mapping
from http://betakit.com/uber-is-testing-self-driving-cars-in-toronto/
Uber has deployed two autonomous cars to the streets of Toronto for testing, although only with human drivers behind the wheel.

Company spokesperson Susie Heath told CP24 tha
t drivers will be specially-trained operators from Pittsburgh, who are primarily helping with the completion of mapping work in and around the University of Toronto’s campus.

Volvo SUVs will be used, which carry Uber branding and have a spinning sensor attached on the roof of the vehicles for collecting mapping data. The Toronto testing follows Ontario legislation from January 2016 that allows for self-driving vehicle testing on public roads, provided certain precautions are followed, such as having a human in the driver’s seat at all times.

“We’re excited to advance the work of our Advanced Technologies Group’s Toronto lab,” Heath told CP24. “These cars will be driven manually while conducting mapping. We have also obtained a permit from the province for future development testing.”

Uber opened its Toronto driverless technology lab in early May. The lab is currently being headed by University of Toronto professor Raquel Urtasun.

Ontario has law that a few laws that some of the other states and provinces don't have. Such as the allowing a bus to re-enter from a bus bay. I hope these drivers from Pittsburgh got a less in Ontario traffic regulations

a spinning sensor attached
:D i am wondering how such a car Uber or other look on a IR CCTV camera.
Those laser scanners are not firing visible light.

Okay i sort of found out myself, thanks to google in more ways than one.

Okay i sort of found out myself, thanks to google in more ways than one.

Your musical selection reminds me of the Disneyland Electrical Parade :D

the only way driverless vehicles will work efficiently is if EVERY vehicle on the road is driverless, and we all know there will never be driverless bikes, well not on purpose anyway, they do sometimes carry on when the rider comes off

we can't co-exist. People drive for pleasure as well as necessity

I don't know how it works around the world but if it's gonna be required that a driverless car NEEDS a supervisor... what's the point? give the superviser a job title.... maybe DRIVER!

Well the supervisor are just now in the testing phase with the young technology, i am sure soon you can tell your car to take you for a drive while you get drunk and do other naughty stuff on the back seat.

The bike ? its already there so to say.

I really hoped someone would run out of the audience and try kicking it over. :)
Impressive it's done without a gyroscope. But I can't help but feel the variable rake setup has even better uses than just auto balancing.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It is quite impressive, but I wonder if the future generations of kids will even be able to ride bicycles without computer assistance let alone motorcycles?

KuoH

It is quite impressive, but I wonder if the future generations of kids will even be able to ride bicycles without computer assistance let alone motorcycles?

KuoH
Future generations won't be able to do anything without computer assistance/interface. :(

Non autonomous driving will probably be banned sooner or later, or be relegated to dedicated paths for such things ( and i am not thinking separate roads for man driven cars, but maybe bicycles and electric scooters at best, sort of our bicycle paths )
And one day man will find out he also need to exist separate from the Machine, and that's the day the Machine will kill man as Machine do not power down / stop expanding just to make man happy.

If we are lucky Machine will assimilate us, and we will be Borg.

Dystopia,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, only go on vacations from the place and its getting rare now that i no longer take drugs to help me escape.

Last edited:
(...) give the superviser a job title.... maybe DRIVER!
"Bad Supervising in Portugal", "Bad Supervisers UK"... Nah, that doesn't sound right! :confused::D

Last edited:
So imagine a scammer seeing a driverless Google car going do the street and says there goes a car run the by 2nd or third largest company in the world. The scammer will then decide to drive or walk into it. I hope these things have dashcams on all side of the cars.

Back