Ambulance - need to replace a G1W

Waydee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I thought I'd check with you all here for some suggestions.

We're an Ambulance crew who currently use a G1w we all purchased to protect ourselves when driving an emergency ambulance. Our employer does not fit cameras in their vehicles, we operate the current camera on a station level after a colleague got into an accident which wasn't their fault and ended up stuck with legal bills that could have been avoided with video evidence in their favour.

We chose a G1w because of the good reviews and price and for a year now it has served us well. Unfortunately this week it has died, it seems it may have had some sort of component failure as the screen just shows garbled mess and often refused to even turn on. Flexing the camera seems to influence what mess is displayed too which leads me to believe it may have had a circuitry failure.

We also found that the plastic clip mount has not faired well and towards the end of its life we have had to secure it to the mount using rubber bands. In short, she's dead.

We are now looking for a replacement and i've been tasked with this.

I'd like a camera with a sturdier mount, this camera often has to be taken out of the vehicle and moved to others (spare ambulance during our regular vehicles servicing etc) so needs to withstand this. We also cannot affix any sort of sticky pad to the windscreen, it must use a suction mount.

I like the 801/805 type cameras for their size and performance, ideally we would get one of those but the sticky pad mount is a problem. It also seems that the clip style mount would likely not survive repeated removals, especially in the less than gentle hands of some of my colleagues.

We're UK based and would ideally source the camera from here too to avoid excessive postal delays from HK etc.

Any suggestions? I suppose around 50GBP would be our budget limit.

Many thanks!

If you go for a G90, the cheapest I found with the GPS sensor is It has the latest chipset and the firmware is in kmh but can be updated to mph
I've also seen spare mounts available from ebay, so if the mount does get broken you're not left with a camera and no mount

Edit, they have a UK warehouse for quicker deliveries

for that money...

I would go for the y8 actioncam/dashcam...

Being as you are an ambulance it might be handy to have a waterproof fluid case handy and the battery will let you film away from the dashboard if you get one of those "naughty, I slipped and fell on it" cases ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys.

I found a G90 for £50 so snapped it up, it seemed to fit the bill for what we need and the mounting looks to be sturdier than the G1WH but I suppose time will tell how well it lasts. Maybe people will treat this one a little more carefully!

Had a laugh at the waterproof cam suggestion, I'm afraid patient confidentiality and all that means this is very much restricted to filming the road :)

Thanks for the responses guys.

I found a G90 for £50 so snapped it up, it seemed to fit the bill for what we need and the mounting looks to be sturdier than the G1WH but I suppose time will tell how well it lasts. Maybe people will treat this one a little more carefully!

Had a laugh at the waterproof cam suggestion, I'm afraid patient confidentiality and all that means this is very much restricted to filming the road :)

shame !

years ago I spent 3 years living in the nursing training home and so miss those funny somewhat "unbelievable" stories that were fact !

Back