An improvement the A118 needs....

dirtymoney

Reaction score
Country
United States
...is the ability to set the camera's brightness setting to change automatically depending on the time of day.

A good portion of the year I drive to work when it is daylight and drive back home when it is dark. Because of the camera's barely adequate night vision ability I have to have the brightness settings maxed out at night. And this makes the daylight recording overly bright and washed out.

If I could set the camera to change its brightness setting to change at a certain time (like at 9pm) and then change back (like at 8am)..... it would be perfect.

Perhaps you need to point your camera down?

I was originally disappointed with the auto-brightness on mine, but after angling it down more, it's much better. I assume the metering is from the centre of the image, and so angling down helps this.

The attached screenshot is from mine in absolute pitch black, with just my dipped beam headlights on.

Frame 2015.05.14 22-32-43 (0-13-57.374).jpg

Also, here is an example video of mine going from dull to direct sunlight etc very quickly. I think it copes very well.

skip ahead to 13:00 in my review here. it shows going from a sunny day, under a bridge, then back out into the sun. i think it does pretty good for a budget camera. my wife's cf-100 does about the same, and it has a much nicer sony exmor sensor.

If I adjust EV to +2, would that help at dark night scenes?

if you brighten it up for night it would end up washed out looking during the day, always going to be tradeoff

Ok, each time adjusting... no set and forget..... but does EV at eg. +2 affects in sharpness of picture?

So in next fimware update, maybe to add option that uppon some rules, automatic EV correction is performed

Back