An uncommon method to mount a mobius inside a motorcycle helmet?

germany

Reaction score
Country
Germany
My plan is to have a little but stable mobius mount inside my helmet. Maybe something like a little bar to slide the mobius on without destroying the stability of the helmet.

The Mobius should fit directly in front of my mouth where there is usually enough place for a headset. And with a longer lens cable (5 centimeter) I want to have the lens unter the helmet

My english is not the best that's why I have this picture below.

Some of you guys are brilliant DIY'er so maybe you can give me some advice or your idea to reassemble this project.

Just substitute Gopro with Mobius. Should be easier too with extended lens.

ok, but what effect will have that camera on your face in case of an accident ?

Right. And I think that might be also a problem with the method I talked about in the beginning thread.

ok, but what effect will have that camera on your face in case of an accident ?

Something like this: "GoPro Smile" and visit to dentist ? :)

GoPro Smile.jpg

Right. And I think that might be also a problem with the method I talked about in the beginning thread.

I think your #1 idea with Mobius remote lens is more health-and-safety friendly, if only camera / lens solution could be waterproof.

I think your #1 idea with Mobius remote lens is more health-and-safety friendly, if only camera / lens solution could be waterproof.
Also, not to forget the LiPol batteries: I'll not place my face anywhere near batteries in a confined volume as a helmet.

i saw one (thought it was techmoan, but not sure now as i can't find it) where they'd used the lens extension and mounted the lens inside the helmet, at the bottom center of the eyeport, in the little rubber piece in front of your nose. that way it's protected by the visor. the main unit is mounted off to one side, inside the chin bar. obviously requires a full-face helmet, but i wouldn't want to ride with an open face helmet, even if it had a face shield.

and i don't even ride - i race cars and go-karts. so my full face helmet has a smaller eyeport than a typical motorcycle helmet because it's SNELL certified, not just DOT. if it was snell SA instead of just M, it'd have an even smaller eyeport.

Also, not to forget the LiPol batteries: I'll not place my face anywhere near batteries in a confined volume as a helmet.

Not sure which battery type is used in this high-end confined space helmet system ;) ?

Schuberth src-system

s2_src_detail_01.png

Schuberth_1.JPG

Not sure which battery type is used in this high-end confined space helmet system ;) ?
One that doesn't catch fire by surprise ? :D
Anyway, even iPhones catch fire; important is not to be the one in a billion who has the chance to live something like that.

I don't thought about the battery that could overheat and cause an accident or burn my skin, maybe I better will do something like this:

I made a quick mount for the new case from the old mount and some quick lock velcro and 3m VHB tape. I'll do the cosmetic work on it later.

I also added a piece of fiber optic cable to transmit the light from the the rear blinking red led on the camera to inside my helmet just below my line of sight so that I can tell that the camera is on and recording. It works well in all light conditions so far, even in bright sunlight. I thought about just adding another LED or just moving the one that is already there but the fiber optic seemed like a neat idea, and I really didn't want to take the camera apart again ;)
Here's a pic from inside my helmet, tiny red dot on the bottom visor opening just to the right

I found another dashcam talk user who was building the camera like I was planing. It's very discrete but again the mobius is directly in front of the mouth so I have again the problem that Mandami mentioned: Even iPhones catch fire; important is not to be the one in a billion who has the chance to live something like that:

I wanted a Helmet Cam but I don't like mounting anything on the outside of my crash helmet, looks ****e and can cause wind noise, whistles, which I hate with a passion. So, what about something mounted inside. Discrete, waterproof, and out of the way.
After watching Techmoan's review of the Mobius Camera I purchased one along with the lens extension cable, maybe this is what I am looking for.
I mounted the lens into the breath guard of my Shoei GT Air, then Velcro mounted the Camera itself to the inside of the chin bar. For me it's fine, no clearance problems but if you have a chin like Bruce Forsyth it may not work for you.
Powering the camera was the next issue. Inbuilt battery lasts about 80 minutes so not enough, considered power from the bike but, I don't want to plug / unplug cables every time I get on / off the bike. I just know I would forget and rip the wires out.
Solution, a USB Battery Pack placed in my jacket pocket giving me hours of constant recording time. I went for a 9000mAH capacity which gives me more than 8 hours of constant loop recording, is light in weight and nice and compact.
Well, that's my solution at the moment until something better comes along.
I hope this will be useful to others on the forum who, like me, don't want a brick stuck to your helmet (ooohhhh missus).
View attachment 4576 View attachment 4577 View attachment 4578

original Thread:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/motorcycle-dash-cam-waterproof.1225/page-5

Last edited by a moderator:
I now made a standard camera position on the side of my helmet:

I used a 5 centimeter lens extension cable to turn the lens wide angle c lens 90° in the mobius case. Of course the case was to small so I had to drill holes in both sides of the mobius case. As you cann obviously see in a very professional way: (sarcasm off)

I then used hot glue to fix a screw on to the cap of the helmet:

And there is my question. I know that hot glue will not stick perfectly the small screw to the plastic. Is there any other thing you guys could recommend to glue this?

-----

A new issue:

The video does look a lot like this. There is way too much of the helmet in the video and it is obviously filming very much on one side so I will not capture anything that happens on the other side.

(It's a GoPro camera in this video)

Not like this Vlogger who has perfected his GoPro mounting position and angular:

To eliminate helmet in your shots you may have to modify your helmet to something like from "Star Wars" to mount camera further out forward.
There is a new 90 degrees lens from Mobius that allows sideway mount like you've done.
Re; mounting to helmet, I have a steady mount in my car using neo dymuim(sp) magnets. Magnet to magnet gives a steady mount and fixed position too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A DIY Projects 19
Back