Another 522GW Issue. Regret purchasing Nextbase, poor service.

Totbl2021

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased the 522gw, fitted the hardwire kit and rear camera earlier in the year, first of all I was pleased with the quality of the product. Only 3 months later, I had the same issue many have on here with the camera intermittently stopping recording. I persevered for a week or two, then had a very near miss in the car which would have required the footage to prove I was not in the wrong had it been an accident. Of course the camera decided not to work that day. Some caveats before the usual default Nextbase response re when was it last formatted (every few weeks), was the firmware up to date (yes), was I using the extortionate Nextbase SD card (yes), was the wind blowing to the north east with a temperature of 20...

As of today, the dashcam doesn't even switch on, I have tried multiple cables and power sources. The camera has not been exposed to extreme heat.

I contacted Nextbase at the weekend on this, explaining all of the above, to be met with the same questions about firmware and SD cards (that I had already confirmed, and regardless of the fact it doesnt even switch on)..since my response and several chases I have heard nothing, hence my post here to sincerely suggest to anyone looking at Nextbase cameras before deciding on purchasing, doesn't do that. They are not reliable from my experience and I have had cheaper dashcams record at lower quality, but at least be there when you need them.

I posted earlier in the week. I also bought a 522 last week, had the issue with it stopping recording, replaced the entire unit and card at the retailer. The new one did it yesterday. Nextbase replied to my post that it was "highly unlikely" both units would have the same problem. They asked if I changed the wiring - I told them all new out if the box. Was I using USB or the lighter-the lighter.. All new card.. They have yet to respond. This seems to be an all to frequent issue and they're typical reply seems to me "the memory card is defective". They don't seem to want to admit there is a major issue with this model.

Hello both,

Firstly, @Roadrunner1160 I have replied to your multiple messages on the thread, and have asked to you to contact our Support Team directly to allow for full troubleshooting. The chance of the same issue occurring with completely separate cameras, cabling and SD cards are absolutely minute. It's very likely to be another factor, such as the vehicle itself or user error, so please contact us directly so that we can go through your entire set up. Our phone number is: 1-806-3419406

@Totbl2021 Can I take your Support Ticket number please?
When and where was the camera purchased please?
Please try the below:
Remove the cable from the camera.
Wait for the camera to die.
Plug the camera back in.
Press the reset button on the underside of the camera (not the on/off button).
Make sure the SD card is not inside the camera.
Press the on button. Does it now turn on?

Regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hard wire can often be a mess in new cars with a smart power grid, many examples of that in here.
In cars like that you cant just assume a fuse is good even if it appear so testing / measuring it.
This is often newer European and Japanese cars.
It toom me +2 hours putting a dashcam in my friends Mercedes ( just connected to fuse for power no hard wire kit ) in the same time frame i would have been able to at least hard wire 2 dual channel systems in my own car.
Damn Mercedes had every single fuse live all the time, untill we somehow got the smarts to disengage long enough for me to find a ACC fuse.

Quite annoying i am sure if you have a car like that and are capable of installing a hard wire kit, which are not that complicated with some DIY skills, but the smarts in these cars are capable of making one looking like a fool.
I am glad my bottom of the barrel 2012 Suzuki car have no smarts, in the wires or elsewhere :) smartest thing in the car is me,,,,,,, and that is not super impressive.

Well I have had a 522gw for over a year now and never had issues with it not recording. I don't use a nextbase sd card but a canvas go extreme endurance card. I use a next base wiring kit that they say won't work with the new 522gw as it was for my old 422gw.

I habe had both front and rear cameras installed in a previous car but have never got round to getting a new rear camera cable and fitting rear cam to this car.

Never had issues with it not recording on either just front or front and rear.

Nextbase do offer good help on here mostly. And you can also speak their technical support.

There were a number of issues mostly with the nextbase player and other things like getting Alex's working that were very and early on. These I believe all got sorted.

I'm not saying nextbase are perfect but they do post on here a lot and try to resolve customer complaints.

Having said all that I don't use alexa because I found it tedious to get it working and not really a feature I'm interested in, same with the SOS function

A dashcam is primarily a dashcam and far better to only put in features that are needed, not sales ploys in my opinion. Less things to have issues with rather than adding alexa and the like. Although I cab see why some people might want these kinds of thing.

But a dashcam for me is about reliability and recording footage while driving anything else is by the by.

There are plenty of people who don't have the issues you have had with nextbase cameras, and I guess a few who do.

So speak with nextbase again and try and get it sorted. There must be an issue of some sort somewhere.

Last edited:
Back