Another F770 firmware brick

Lurchalicious

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I found this site by searching "thinkware f770 firmware update failed"

I've read the previous threads. In my case the desktop program loaded the firmware automatically onto my thinkware branded sd card. Upon plugging it in, it failed the update.

Has there been any advancements in the few years since the threads? Is there any recourse outside of paying for a reflash?

Seems crazy to have to pay for a repair caused by the company's own firmware, that its own program loaded on my card.

Welcome to DCT @Lurchalicious :)

As best I can find, you'll need to have the cam reflashed by either the factory or an authorized dealer who has the special cable and programming needed for that. I think @BlackboxMyCar in Canada has the necessary equipment but I don't know which or if any of the US Thinkware US dealers do. Now that I've tagged them maybe they can drop by and help advise you on what to do (y)

Personally I never do automatic updates on anything, just too much that can go wrong and sometimes it does :(

Phil

If it is just a matter of re-flashing the camera as a result of a failed update, not least a automated one which should be problem-less as it is automated, the guys should do it for free so only shipping cost are in question.
At least thats what i would do, but i am also such a nice guy. :)

Ambrealla based cameras can go belly up on firmware flash, in that case you need a new firmware but a .elf type, and then you need to connect the camera to the computer and use a program called direct USB to do the flash, after that you should then be able to flash with regular .bin firmware files on the memory card.
Dashcams on the novatek chips dont seem to have this problem, if a flash go wrong you just try again.

I bought the camera from blackboxmycar but dont remember if it was Canada.

Hopefully they chime in or have the cables to reflash.

I saw in another thread where they offered to do this for another member here. They're good folks to do business with and are very helpful. You might get a faster response from their website: http://www.blackboxmycar.com/ but they usually check in on DCT regularly.

Phil

Update:

I reached out to blackbox my car and thinkware. Summary is the camera is discontinued so there are no out of warranty services being offered. Thinkware offered me 40% off a new camera. I can appreciate that but its sad to think after two years with this camera its nothing more than a paperweight.

Is there anyone with this special cable to flash or has had success getting a completely non-responsive camera to work?

BlackboxmycarUSA:

"
Thanks for giving that a try. Unfortunately, it does seem like the dashcam itself has failed and we don't have any out-of-warranty services to provide for the F770 as it has been discontinued.

With that being said, please contact Thinkware directly to see if they have any services available to offer you! If they don't have any replacement units available, they typically offer great discounts on new units."

ThinkwareUSA:

"
Thank you for trying all of our troubleshooting steps. We are sorry to hear that there was no response from the F770 Dash Cam.

Unfortunately, there are no further steps we can take to remedy the issue with this Dash Cam. As the F770 was discontinued in 2018 we no longer offer repairs or exchanges for this model in North America.

If you are interested in upgrading to a newer dashcam at a discounted price, we would be happy to offer you a 40% off coupon applicable to 1 Dash Cam or Bundle on our website. Please let us know if you would like to proceed with this coupon code.

Please feel free to contact us again if you encounter any other issues.
Kind regards,
Customer Support
THINKWARE Dash Cam™ (North America) | Navien Mate (CA)
"

They could learn a little from SG, who still do what they can with 2014 or whattever SG9665GC V1 cameras. :)

2 years old seems a bit short to no longer offer any service options
My main gripe. I bought this in 2018. Its manufacturing date is 2017.

So 3 years from the date its made...theres nothing to be done, no repairs or service.

I appreciate the discount offer, but I'm not sure I want to repeat this experience in 2 more years with another camera that gets discontinued and then no support. The whole thing has just soured me from thinkware at this point.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

My main gripe. I bought this in 2018. Its manufacturing date is 2017.

So 3 years from the date its made...theres nothing to be done, no repairs or service.

I appreciate the discount offer, but I'm not sure I want to repeat this experience in 2 more years with another camera that gets discontinued and then no support. The whole thing has just soured me from thinkware at this point.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Do you mind sending me your email or ticket number in a PM? I'll have our customer support manager reach out and resolve your issue.

Last edited:
Hello.

Does anybody know where to go to in the Netherlands to get a bricked F770 fixed/reflashed? I bought it second hand and it failed during upgrading it's firmware.

Yet another user with a bricked F770 here.

Thinkware lost a customer for life. I don't care if their product dispenses gold bars from thin air, their support, and their attitude is anything but customer support.

I contend this company distributed bad firmware knowing people would download and install it.

Why do I say this:

The company has been alerted to this issue as early as 2018.
The company has acknowledged other users are in a similar situation.
The company did not place any warnings on the download site to inform users of any potential problems and to proceed with caution.
The company has not removed the firmware from the download site.
The company refuses to fix a problem they created.

Replaced the F770 for a Viofo A139 Pro 2 ch. I hope this one won't let me down like the F770 did.

Back