Another Tablet question.

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
I know I've asked this question before, but I wanted to ask this question again because It's time to buy a tablet so I can work with the camera setup and output:
Is there anything new on the Android Tablet scene that one should take into consideration when purchasing. Particular models, Brands, functions, whatever you can think of or advice would be appreciated.

I bought a Lenovo Tab 10 on amazon a few months ago. BIG, handles the two wifi cam apps I have well, ok to watch movies on, do some minor games. I think they're around $90 now.

They also have the same thing in a 7 inch screen, for around $70. The Tab10 is a bit bulky, but leave it in the truck mostly.

I've not tried the mobius app on it, since usually the laptop is a foot away from the tablet. :)

I definitely think you should buy a shiny new tablet computer but I got to thinking there might also be an interesting method for you to program a Mobius directly on your Linux computer using the mSetup software GUI. Consider using WINE. WINE is a free and open-source compatibility layer (that's been around for 24 years) that allows Windows programs to run on Linux and Unix-like operating systems without requiring the Windows OS. There is a reasonably good chance that a simple program like mSetup will work in WINE (as far as I know). The whole thing is a bit geeky but that should be right up your alley and it might be worth a try. Just a thought. :)

https://www.winehq.org/ (new version - August 3, 2017)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)

https://www.linux.com/learn/how-install-and-use-wine-run-windows-applications-linux

I would like 2 things of a new tablet.

A screen that is better able to handle sunshine and be readable, my current Asus tablet i can barely see whats on the screen, and i have it installed sort of shaded under that lid on the top of my dashbord.
So i would like one with Amoled as i think that will be good, but those you can not get cheap as far as i know and though prices on Amoled screens are about the same as other types, but maybe this is more of a phone thing.

And i would like one a little bit larger, i think i am still able to have a 8 or 9" under that lid on my dashbord

Thanks for the replies, I will think everything over and then get something, I really like the idea of a Android tablet though, its simple reliable, cheap and I can slide it under the seat. I just don't want to spend the money on a laptop right now.
I need to find out if the tablet (like a Lenovo) will run the Mobius program, but that's not a deal killer since you can set up the Mobius by hand.

The Lenovo I mentioned is the Tab3 essential, seems ok, for basic use. $70 on amazon.

I've had the mobius program, and the correct cable, for a while, but never bothered to try it.
Just did, was easy on the Tab10, no problems. (I'm surprised!) :) I 'think' the tab3 essential is roughly the same specs, but 7 inch, this is a tab10 that is $90-/+ on amazon. The blue silicone 'idiot proof case was extra. :)

m1.JPG

m4.JPG

m2.JPG

I just ran through the basic functions on the mobius program, no problem.

The Lenovo I mentioned is the Tab3 essential, seems ok, for basic use. $70 on amazon.

I've had the mobius program, and the correct cable, for a while, but never bothered to try it.
Just did, was easy on the Tab10, no problems. (I'm surprised!) :) I 'think' the tab3 essential is roughly the same specs, but 7 inch, this is a tab10 that is $90-/+ on amazon. The blue silicone 'idiot proof case was extra. :)

View attachment 32493

View attachment 32494

View attachment 32495

You need a CPL on your camera - reflections are terrible. ;):D

I was busy so had a passing homeless guy take pictures of the screen with my smartphone. :)

The Tab3 essential isn't a smaller version of what I have, only has android 5.01, and maybe some other cost cutting limitations....maybe not a problem?

View attachment 32493

View attachment 32494

View attachment 32495

Thanks a lot dash, that pretty well cinches it for me, I'll look into the Lenovo tablet line. When I was looking before a lot of places were recommending Lenovo tablets.

View attachment 32493

View attachment 32494

View attachment 32495

Is there a app (google Apps store) that you can use on your Tab 3 10" to edit the output of the cameras and stich the sections together and whatever? I see the app you are using is "Mobius Acton Cam by Thomas Chladek", is that the program you use to do all the editing of the video from the Mobius camera? What did you mean by the correct cable with the Tab 3 10" ?

After I finish getting the Mobius up and running, I'm going to get a good camera for the front of the truck, so I'll be needing something to stitch segments together and do whatever is necessary to it's video output, is the Tab 3 10 capable of doing that also? What I'm trying to figure out here is if an Android Tablet is going to be sufficient are if I really do have to get a laptop.

Last edited:
I tried one video editing program on my tablet, but didn't like it well enough to learn it. :) (and deleted it)
I am sure you can find some tablet program that will do all the editing stuff. I'm old, and not up to learning a lot of new stuff.
:)

I primarily got this tablet to use with a 'drone', but like kamkar mentioned, the tablet screens don't like bright sunlight.

The 'cable' is actually an OTG adapter that allows you to connect some USB stuff to your android phone or tablet. ($5 on amazon)

Before you take the plunge, ask more informed people on this site about the specs of whatever you are looking at.

Lenovo Tab 7
I have been eying that one too, how do it do with sunshine ? i mainly use mine as NAV unit in the car.

Not sure what LCD screens are the best for bright light situations, there are a bunch of systems and i figure some are better than others.
But i would like me som amoled for sure, the Samsung ones look sweet but i cant justify that price with the little use i have for such a devise.

I have been eying that one too, how do it do with sunshine ? i mainly use mine as NAV unit in the car.

Not sure what LCD screens are the best for bright light situations, there are a bunch of systems and i figure some are better than others.
But i would like me som amoled for sure, the Samsung ones look sweet but i cant justify that price with the little use i have for such a devise.

not sure as I've never used it like that, I have a friend that uses one in his rally car with some software they have for plotting and measuring the different stages, I'll ask him how it goes for that next time I see him

These are the specs for Asus 8Z2380m-A2-GR it is a 8" Pablet : http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenpad_8_0_z380m-8474.php I just got the specs from their because it said Full Specs.

These are the full specs for the 7" Lenovo from the same place: http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_tab3_7-7951.php
Not an essential model.

Lenovo Tab 3 8" (Not essential) http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_tab3_8-7952.php

I put links to the 3 so there was kind of a comparison in 3 different price ranges, Asus 8" around $129.00, Lenovo 7 & 8" about $70.00 & $100.00, but the only place I saw for the Tab 8 is directly from Lenovo. I don't know if they are available other places, probably are.
All have IPS screens.

Last edited:
The Tab3 7 you listed is a bit different from the Tab3 essential 7 inch at amazon, which may be an amazon specific model, and stripped down. The one you show also is a cellphone, or a 'phablet'. (If you want/don't want that?) Meaning put a sim card and you can use it as a phone or use the phone company internet. (At $XX a month)
I have an android smartphone so tether from that for internet for the tablet via wifi.

Is there a app (google Apps store) that you can use on your Tab 3 10" to edit the output of the cameras and stich the sections together and whatever? I see the app you are using is "Mobius Acton Cam by Thomas Chladek", is that the program you use to do all the editing of the video from the Mobius camera? What did you mean by the correct cable with the Tab 3 10" ?

After I finish getting the Mobius up and running, I'm going to get a good camera for the front of the truck, so I'll be needing something to stitch segments together and do whatever is necessary to it's video output, is the Tab 3 10 capable of doing that also? What I'm trying to figure out here is if an Android Tablet is going to be sufficient are if I really do have to get a laptop.

Just a thought. Many of us, perhaps most of us edit dash cam videos on our home PCs and primarily use tablets for viewing dash cam footage. Since you are a Linux user why not consider one of the excellent free video editors that are available? Check out Openshot. It's pretty nice, very well regarded and will do pretty much everything and more that you want to do. And like I already mentioned, it's free.

In the grand scheme of things it seel like many use their phone for just about everything, but in regard to video what they edit and post are ADD videos meaning they are 30 seconds or less.
And for their photos they just have some app that can add big eyes whiskers and dog ears to their selfies and then everything are alright. :rolleyes:

Unlike my friend i dont have my tablet in the car all the time, and i some times do use it at home ( not factoring in the CCTV use )
But then we talk modern day scenario of bringing the newspaper to the toilet.

Yesterday i went wayyyyy out of my comfort zone ( you just have to do that once in a while ) and created a account on tumblr :eek: i am not going to use the blogging part of the site but figured i would use it for a pictures and maybe the occasional video.

If anybody else are there, or just feel like doing a little stalking on this weird Dane, you can find me here. https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nimbustedreams.
See the fun i had naming my blog, pulling 3 words together to form one ( Nimbus old Danish motorcycle ) ( busted as in broken ) and Dreams like i got plenty of those.
So you have options, you can pronounce it Nimbus - ted - reams or Nim - busted - reams and others :D

O BTW If i am going on that 128 Km walk next year i will have to keep you guys and myself updated via my phone, but in day to day dealings of life no way in hell would i access this site on my phone or tablet.

The Tab3 7 you listed is a bit different from the Tab3 essential 7 inch at amazon, which may be an amazon specific model, and stripped down. The one you show also is a cellphone, or a 'phablet'. (If you want/don't want that?) Meaning put a sim card and you can use it as a phone or use the phone company internet. (At $XX a month)
I have an android smartphone so tether from that for internet for the tablet via wifi.

You are right, the Asus is a phone, I also think the essential in the description means it is a Tab 7 to a lesser degree, stripped somewhat. Man these guys don't leave a stone unturned to squeeze an extra $ out of you, especially these days and it's going to get worse. What's more, some models offer different part structures for the same model if sold over seas are in the US, One must be very care full that you know exactly what you are getting/buying. :D:confused:

Just a thought. Many of us, perhaps most of us edit dash cam videos on our home PCs and primarily use tablets for viewing dash cam footage. Since you are a Linux user why not consider one of the excellent free video editors that are available? Check out Openshot. It's pretty nice, very well regarded and will do pretty much everything and more that you want to do. And like I already mentioned, it's free.

Free is always good. I was so caught up mentally in a tablet I forgot that Linux has a lot of video editors, so that solves that problem, maybe, till something else pops up.:D:rolleyes:.
I have an appointment tomorrow to get the wiring in the Vico Plus switched to the fuse panel :cautious::cool:!

Back