Any 4 Camera Setups

liveinxs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius ActionCam, Front, Rear and both Sides
hello,

just curious how many people have 4 cameras in their cars, if so which cameras did you find worked out well for such an application, just where did you mount them and any pictures, would be great..

i presently have a front dashcam and looking to install a rear facing cam this weekend, i would just like some input on how those with 4 cameras mounted to the side views...

thanks

Pano g in front
Dome g90 a70 non GPS facing rear window
8000l in back facing the interior cabin
Gopro hero 3+ black in rear favoring/ looking towards driver side

Recently, I began experimenting with a 4 dash cam set-up by repurposing a couple of older unused cameras and I really like having almost 360 degree coverage. The reason I can really do this is because I drive a Toyota extended cab pick-up truck that has very dark factory tinted rear side windows which make the cameras that are suction-cup mounted to the vertical glass virtually invisible in most lighting situations. The side mounted cameras are running at 720P @60 fps to better reduce motion blur as road conditions speed by in a way that is much more challenging to capture than front or rear views. I often run my front and rear cameras in parking mode when I'm out and about using an external battery and in the next week or so I will be adding that capability to the side cameras as I love having 4 cam coverage in a supermarket or Big Box store parking lot when I'm away from my vehicle. There are numerous advantages to having the ability to capture side views but so far the most important thing the lateral cameras provide is the ability to capture what is coming at you from a perpendicular direction when at a stop sign or traffic light and when you enter an intersection.

I don't have four cameras, but if i ever wanted such system i would use 2 of these.

I had 4 cameras in my old setup, the side ones was placed so they filmed out the top front corner of the windows in the rear doores.
The cameras was pretty small ( 40 x 40 mm ) so they fit nice in the arch of the door where ppl dont get ther heads, or atleast i assume so, there have never been much use for my rear doores, or ppl on my back seat for that matter.

I want a 4 cam setup again, but i guess i have to wait a year or 2 before those systems are where i want them to be.
It is going to be a dualcam with 2 remote cameras X 2, or a clean 4 channel setup but i think those are at least a year out in the future.

I don't have four cameras, but if i ever wanted such system i would use 2 of these.

These seem like capable cameras but two of them would cost almost 600 dollars USD and neither of them can shoot at 60fps which experience has been teaching me is important for side facing cameras in many driving conditions.

Recently, I began experimenting with a 4 dash cam set-up by repurposing a couple of older unused cameras and I really like having almost 360 degree coverage. The reason I can really do this is because I drive a Toyota extended cab pick-up truck that has very dark factory tinted rear side windows which make the cameras that are suction-cup mounted to the vertical glass virtually invisible in most lighting situations. The side mounted cameras are running at 720P @60 fps to better reduce motion blur as road conditions speed by in a way that is much more challenging to capture than front or rear views. I often run my front and rear cameras in parking mode when I'm out and about using an external battery and in the next week or so I will be adding that capability to the side cameras as I love having 4 cam coverage in a supermarket or Big Box store parking lot when I'm away from my vehicle. There are numerous advantages to having the ability to capture side views but so far the most important thing the lateral cameras provide is the ability to capture what is coming at you from a perpendicular direction when at a stop sign or traffic light and when you enter an intersection.
hello,

thanks for the response, its funny i never thought about the 60 fps angle, i am glad you brought that up...very smart...

Yeah passing somthing at speed would not be captured good by 30 FPS cameras, i even think 60 FPS might be on the low side, and at night too dark with current CMOS sensors.

But i dont think its somthing to be too bothered about as its rare ( unless you are in Russia ) that some one will T-bone you, i think most side "action" will be the slow creeping from behind.
Allso the motion blur on things at the side will decrease the further the thing is from the car/camera, so i think the guy jumping red light and plowing into you will be captured in a useable mannor before he get so close things will blur.

Thats why if i get a 4 cam setup i will go with the wide angle cameras on the side, and then front and rear use cameras with a more narrow FOV than most current cameras.

Soon i will do a litttle experimenting in regard to this question ;)

Kamkar's post is exactly correct.

Also, as rare as it might be, I've almost been T-boned a couple of times and I like having the camera on the sides in case anything ever happens. The last time someone almost broadsided me it was a guy running a red light when I was half way through an intersection. Luckily I saw him coming and was able to hit the gas and get out of his way before he hit me. Would have been a pretty cool "close call" video if I had a dash cam in my side window at the time.

Yeah one cant rule out even the most insane moves in the traffic :rolleyes: but i think you would have gotten good footage of the guy even with a 30 FPS camera.
Maybe not the last secons where he passed out of sight behind your car, but the seconds leading up to that moment could have become most exellent footage.

One important camera is missing, up:)

Yeah one cant rule out even the most insane moves in the traffic :rolleyes: but i think you would have gotten good footage of the guy even with a 30 FPS camera.
Maybe not the last secons where he passed out of sight behind your car, but the seconds leading up to that moment could have become most exellent footage.

I think you are right. As I said in my earlier post I'm still experimenting with the side facing cameras. In fact, just two days ago I switched one of them back to 1080P 30 fps to see how it works compared to 60 fps. Also the other day, I did one of my regular computer cloning back-ups onto a separate hard drive and when I do that I throw away any old dash-cam footage I don't really need rather than back of a zillion gigabytes of useless footage so it will take a bit of time to get more comparison video onto my computer again.

I have iCaro B4 , 4 Channel system for nearly 3 years. At this stage its not "up to date" of 2014y where video resolution requirements must be higher, but other than that it is one of the best multi-channel solutions I ever had from point of view of functionality, set-up, design, discreteness, etc. I wish exactly the same system, but with FullHD per each channel.

iCaro B4 (1).jpg

iCaro B4 (2).jpg

iCaro B4 (3).jpg

iCaro B4 (4).jpg

iCaro B4 (4).jpg

iCaro B4 (5).jpg

iCaro B4 (6).jpg

iCaro B4 (7).jpg

Re-installed into my 2nd car.

Now its good for 24/7 parking monitoring. No problem with close objects ( 3-4 metre ) monitoring around the car, but not good for every day driving on the road.

i1.jpg

i2.jpg

i3.jpg

InCar (1).jpg

InCar (2).jpg

thats a slick setup @niko. dont care for the shiny silver though. it there was a system like THAT that had FULL HD + parking mode +128*4 for each card, id be all over that.

thats a slick setup @niko. dont care for the shiny silver though. it there was a system like THAT that had FULL HD + parking mode +128*4 for each card, id be all over that.

Yeah, same thoughts I try to bring to manufacturers since almost very first day I bought iCaro B4.
In the past this ( 4 x 1080p ) was impossible on mass-production scale, but I am sure this time is getting closer ( 2015 ) where we will see similar to this one 4 x FullHD.
Last year iCaro released iCaro B2, same like mine, but 2 channel, ( 2 x 720p ), unnfort. only 6Mbps bit-rate.

Kamkar's post is exactly correct.

Also, as rare as it might be, I've almost been T-boned a couple of times and I like having the camera on the sides in case anything ever happens. The last time someone almost broadsided me it was a guy running a red light when I was half way through an intersection. Luckily I saw him coming and was able to hit the gas and get out of his way before he hit me. Would have been a pretty cool "close call" video if I had a dash cam in my side window at the time.
i have been t boned twice the last few years. once it did over $11,000 damage to my nearly new civic. second time was earlier this year coincidentally while i was waiting for my first dash cam to come in the mail. did over $5000 damage.

i have seen people almost t boned at night when they pull out infront of a car with out any of their lights on so they didnt see them at first. seen that happen several times, I am very careful about watching for idiots like that after living in a city where it was like 5-6 cars a night i would see without lights on.

anyways to OP, i use two 2 channel blackvue systems, with the power magic pro PLUS hardwire kit that lets you hook up two cameras. i made a video about how i set it up:

the dr650gw-2ch is a rip off right now tho, i really like the camera, but by itself i would not recommend paying more than $300. better off getting the 550 for way cheaper, and the bitrate isnt THAT big of a difference.

i plan on making a more in depth video once i get around to installing "shields" to hide the side cameras.

anyways to OP, i use two 2 channel blackvue systems, with the power magic pro PLUS hardwire kit that lets you hook up two cameras. i made a video about how i set it up:

Looks very interesting. How about posting some video showing the results from the cameras?

those setups looks very good, I have a Dodge Durango and i plan on putting the cams in the side rear windows, pointing them slightly forward, so i can catch the drivers door area and still capture the side of the vehicle, i plan on using the Mobius Wide Angle cam..

in the back of the truck, near the rear hatch is a Power Outlet, so i can tap into it for the 3 cams, 2 sides and 1 rear...

i already have a G1W in the front of the truck, but i am gonna send it back as i think the Mobius has a smaller foot print and also the Mobius is more discreet, i have that hardwired in the cigarette outlet...

Back