Any more news on the rear plug in camera for 512gw ultra

seems the autumn release date is going out the window.

hope its really good for the amount of dev time. I mean I think the 512GW came out in May. perhaps they were waiting to see if people would actually want one.

what worries me is the fact the new 612gw seems to have had this option removed. maybe a limitation of the video processor maybe because they don't see a future market in rear cams.

I can understand your frustrations @cypher007 it is coming I promise, it was always planned to have the rear cam option hence having the port.

The 612GW doesn’t have the rear cam option as the processor wouldn’t be able to do 4K and the extra data from the rear cam add on. For customers who have the 612GW it would be like all other models and we suggest a 112 or 212 in the rear as these are basic and compact. Each customer will of course want different models depending on their resolution of choice.

I can understand your frustrations @cypher007 it is coming I promise, it was always planned to have the rear cam option hence having the port.

The 612GW doesn’t have the rear cam option as the processor wouldn’t be able to do 4K and the extra data from the rear cam add on. For customers who have the 612GW it would be like all other models and we suggest a 112 or 212 in the rear as these are basic and compact. Each customer will of course want different models depending on their resolution of choice.

Please add me to the list to be notified of the rear camera.

For Tiffany's sake it would be a lot easier for everyone to subscribe to this thread and keep and eye on it and for her to post here with the details.

Otherwise we will end up crashing their email server lol

When are we getting a sneak peak? :)

LOL...

I haven't heard anything either. Not sure if it would work on a 612GW though...

Returned the 612GW instead of getting a replacement. So 512GW is back in front waiting for rear cam

LOL...

I haven't heard anything either. Not sure if it would work on a 612GW though...
The 612GW won't accept a rear camera due to the processing abilities of that camera hence it does not have the rear cam port. This was explained on another thread or this one can't remember which thread off hand.

You're right @Simcor .

I'll try and get a sneak peak over the weekend.

Out of interest when the rear cam does eventually turn up in the shops for the 512GW I was wondering whether my 64gb sandisk card will need to be upgraded to 128gb since I assume the Cam will be making four recording at a time? and if so which cards are recommended?

When the rear cam is released there will be 2 x 1080p files, one marked Front and one marked Rear.

The 1080p file averages around 1 hour per 8Gb so doubling this (front and rear) for an 8Gb will be 30 minutes.

Your 64Gb card will hold 4 hours 20 minutes, the 128Gb will hold 8 hours 40 minutes.

Whether you need to upgrade the capacity will depend on how many hours you drive in a typical week/how long you want to be stored at any one time.

The card will need to be at least a class 10 card, a good branded card that can maintain the speeds required. We test with and recommend SanDisk.

@NextBase Tiffany thanks for all the info and pics so far, aside from the obvious question (ie when), am I right in thinking that the only thing that needs wiring is the rear to front cam cable?

Back