Any new wisdom on purchasing memory cards for Mobius camera?

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
I'm coming down to the wire now, just about everything is on it's way except for a couple "add a fuse links" and memory card.
I really wanted to get a 64MB card but people seem to have trouble with anything over 32 MB so I guess that's what it's going to be. However I thought I had better check with every one on what the best Brand card for the Mobius would be?

I know there was a guy here who did a Brand type analysis and seemed to like the Transcend memory cards, but I would really be interested in the people also that own Mobius cameras, and hear what they have to say about cards in their camera's.
I don't know if specific brand cards are part of the problem or not, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. So feel free to voice your opinions, at least it will make me feel better.
I also think Dashmellow needs a break from me asking him all the questions you can imagine about the Mobius, It's unbelievable the knowledge that man has, He's one super nice person!!

I run a 64 Gb Trancend 400 X in my old Mobius 1 and it work just fine, actually i cant recall running anything smaller than 64Gb cards in it.

The old Mobius is pretty strait forward, and with some time under its belt its also proven to be reliable.
It is not a stellar performer at night, but really no current dashcam is, so that not something i would be bothered about.
I have my mobius in the left side of my car, and it also do a stellar job there.

This is parts of frames grabbed from the mobius in the side, my speed 80 km/h and same is the speed of the target vehicle.

mobpic18.jpg

death_in_rear_seat.jpg

The 64 Gb Samsung Evo I've been buying on Amazon are working well in 3 different dash cams.

I've been running the same Transcend 64GB card in my Mobius for about a year now with no failures of any kind. Pulled the card out tonight and checked it with 'h2testw' and all is good. Upstate S.C. summers in a closed van get hot, I often leave it running 24/7 mixed with treating it properly on occasion. I can't say enough good about the card or the cam. Both are utterly reliable and for me that factor overrides anything else.

Phil

This is some good information guys but please be sure and say what model card you have just saying (Example) San Disc doesn't tell the whole story.

If you allso want to be even more safe in your memory card shopping, be sure to read the warrenty "rules" for the card you are looking at, some brands say use of their cards in dashcams and cctv cameras is not covered by warrenty.

Trancend have a new line out thats dedicated to that kind of use, and i know my trancend ultimate 633X is allso okay for use in dashcams.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/my-new-memory-card.16410/page-2#post-263168

The red and black Trancend premium 400X should allso be okay for dashcam use i think.

Transcend Endurance would be my top pick, specifically for the Mobius:

1) Novatek Engineers (the company that makes the image sensor for the Mobius) use Transcend for testing. This is why Jokiin (Street Guardian CEO) ships Transcend with his products as they use Novatek processors as well.

2) There are two types of memory for consumers: TLC and MLC. TLC is cheap. MLC is slightly more $$ but far more reliable. Writing data to your memory card permanently damages the card and over time causes it to fail. MLC is what you should select.

3) Cards use controllers to manage the storage of information. Some are bad like those found in Sandisk Ultra, don't use that for your Mobius. Better cards have improved wear leveling but it's difficult to tell who does it best but there are some leading indicators from the reliability of dash cameras.

4) Samsung can void the warranty for all cards used in dash cameras.

Other MLC Cards you can consider:
Lexar 633X - $13 for 32GB at Amazon, has a good history of use with dash cameras and cheaper with a lifetime warranty.

Sandisk High Endurance - $17 for 32GB but they state 20% less durability than Transcend's Endurance

Transcend Ultimate UHS-1: MLC, lifetime warranty same price as the High Endurance.

Last edited:
Transcend UHS1 either 300 or 400X, I can't recall and couldn't find the sale in browser search. Will repost if I find different in the cam. Mid to upper grade is all I'll buy- no cheapo's.

Phil

Andrew thanks for replying. I believe I will go with the Transcend Endurance MLC if they make one that won't break the bank. KamKar1 seems to think highly of a couple of Transcend cards in his post reply right above yours, that along with your recommendations and provided information from you makes it a logical decision.

If basically all (not all) these other companies want to void ones warranty if they use their cards in a dash cam it sorta tells you where you would stand with them!

On the other hand if Transcend makes a card that they have enough faith in to "include" it in their list of equipment for dash cameras I certainly would think they had their Engineers run some very exhaustive tests on it before making such a statement in writing. They know how the other companies feel.
If they are right they will probably take over the dash camera industry on the customer side of memory cards and probably a very good chunk of the whole memory card industry. People just naturally like a winner!

Andrew thanks for replying. I believe I will go with the Transcend Endurance MLC if they make one that won't break the bank. KamKar1 seems to think highly of a couple of Transcend cards in his post reply right above yours, that along with your recommendations and provided information from you makes it a logical decision.

If basically all (not all) these other companies want to void ones warranty if they use their cards in a dash cam it sorta tells you where you would stand with them!

On the other hand if Transcend makes a card that they have enough faith in to "include" it in their list of equipment for dash cameras I certainly would think they had their Engineers run some very exhaustive tests on it before making such a statement in writing. They know how the other companies feel.
If they are right they will probably take over the dash camera industry on the customer side of memory cards and probably a very good chunk of the whole memory card industry. People just naturally like a winner!
Transcend also makes dashcams, so it wouldn't make any sense if their own cards were not suitable for dashcam use. :rolleyes:

Transcend also makes dashcams, so it wouldn't make any sense if their own cards were not suitable for dashcam use. :rolleyes:

I forgot about that, one more BIG thing in their favor. Now if they would only bring their prices down they could really get their ball rolling!!

1) Novatek Engineers (the company that makes the image sensor for the Mobius) use Transcend for testing. This is why Jokiin (Street Guardian CEO) ships Transcend with his products as they use Novatek processors as well.

2) There are two types of memory for consumers: TLC and MLC. TLC is cheap. MLC is slightly more $$ but far more reliable. Writing data to your memory card permanently damages the card and over time causes it to fail. MLC is what you should select.

3) Cards use controllers to manage the storage of information. Some are bad like those found in Sandisk Ultra, don't use that for your Mobius. Better cards have improved wear leveling but it's difficult to tell who does it best but there are some leading indicators from the reliability of dash cameras.

Lexar 633X - $13 for 32GB at Amazon, has a good history of use with dash cameras and cheaper with a lifetime warranty.

Sandisk High Endurance - $17 for 32GB but they state 20% less durability than Transcend's Endurance

Transcend Ultimate UHS-1: MLC, lifetime warranty same price as the High Endurance.

I forgot about that, one more BIG thing in their favor. Now if they would only bring their prices down they could really get their ball rolling!!

Hi Andrew, would you happen to know if Transcend did any testing with the 64GB version of Transcend High Endurance Micro cards? I would like to give one a try, but which one do you feel might be the best bet in a Mobius?

Another question, what does TLC and MLC stand for ?

Andrew thanks for replying. I believe I will go with the Transcend Endurance MLC if they make one that won't break the bank.

Hi Andrew, would you happen to know if Transcend did any testing with the 64GB version of Transcend High Endurance Micro cards? I would like to give one a try, but which one do you feel might be the best bet in a Mobius?

Another question, what does TLC and MLC stand for ?

No problems, glad I could help. What type of testing? I imagine they would do QC tests but in terms of compatibility I wouldn't know. There is very little information on the design, construction and testing of SD cards unfortunately.

I wouldn't know what would be best in a Mobius. To objectively give you an answer would require a lot of testing. From what we know Transcend is used with Novatek and it has a good reputation here.

TLC = Triple Level Cell MLC=Multi Level Cell

For a more detailed explanation of the differences Linus does a great job:

No problems, glad I could help. What type of testing? I imagine they would do QC tests but in terms of compatibility I wouldn't know. There is very little information on the design, construction and testing of SD cards unfortunately.

I wouldn't know what would be best in a Mobius. To objectively give you an answer would require a lot of testing. From what we know Transcend is used with Novatek and it has a good reputation here.

Thanks Andrew

Thanks Andrew That link/video was an awesome explanation, makes sticking with MLC an easy decision. I'll look the Transcend Endurance cards up and see if it says which one is MLC.

I run a 64 Gb Trancend 400 X in my old Mobius 1 and it work just fine, actually i cant recall running anything smaller than 64Gb cards in it.

The old Mobius is pretty strait forward, and with some time under its belt its also proven to be reliable.
It is not a stellar performer at night, but really no current dashcam is, so that not something i would be bothered about.
I have my mobius in the left side of my car, and it also do a stellar job there.

This is parts of frames grabbed from the mobius in the side, my speed 80 km/h and same is the speed of the target vehicle.

mobpic18.jpg

death_in_rear_seat.jpg

Hi KamKar1, When you say Old Mobius what does that mean? Aren't the new ones exactly the same?

I was wondering if you have ever tried or know of any one who used a Transcend High Endurance card 32/64. I know you like the 400 X but I was just wondering since they both use the same build technology what the difference is ?

No they released a new mobius camera a fjew weeks ago, the new one have the buttons on the side for one thing.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152173086360But its also different hardware inside.

But you are right there is several versions of the old mobius camera, over time 3 different lenses and so on.

The old mobius cameras can not do 1080/60 like the new one can, but this new one need a lot of work on the firmware, just like the old mobius have gotten the past 2 years.

The new mobius 2 or M2 already have its own sub forum in here, and i have already posted some footage up in there, including links for DL of the raw footage cuz youtube sure as hell is not nice to the mobius 2 footage.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/mobius-2-m2.171/

No they released a new mobius camera a fjew weeks ago, the new one have the buttons on the side for one thing.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152173086360But its also different hardware inside.

But you are right there is several versions of the old mobius camera, over time 3 different lenses and so on.

The old mobius cameras can not do 1080/60 like the new one can, but this new one need a lot of work on the firmware, just like the old mobius have gotten the past 2 years.

The new mobius 2 or M2 already have its own sub forum in here, and i have already posted some footage up in there, including links for DL of the raw footage cuz youtube sure as hell is not nice to the mobius 2 footage.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/mobius-2-m2.171/

Hi KamKar1, I wasn't thinking straight. I know about the Mobius 2, I just had a fixation of the regular Mobius on my mind (Lot of problems right now). I'm glad you said something about firmware.
I run Linux Ubuntu 16.04 64bit on my home computer (my only computer). I downloaded Msetup and couldn't get it to work, however I'm going to start a new post on it. Mobius seems to only do Windows and Mac's. With 400 to 600 million Linux users they should also be concerned about Linux with more people running Ubuntu then any other version/distro.

I've been using this one for four months now:

Kingston 128GB microSDXC
UHS 1 - Class 10
45MB/s
SDC10G2/128GB

After reading about KamKar1 and some others using 64GB (and up) SD cards (with no problems) I was wondering if you guys are formatting the cards with other software in FAT 32 or EX (I think EX is right term) ?

I read about this company having software to format 64GB and up in FAT32 : http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm .

I also just found on the Transcend web site a support link that allows a Transcend card owner to see if his SD card is genuine or not. Hopefully you can tell me if this is a realistic tool for doing what Transcend claims or not. I don't have a card yet to try it.
http://us.transcend-info.com/support/verification

Last edited:
I use sdformatter freeware to make larger cards FAT32. Windows built-in software won't do anything bigger than 32GB in FAT32, but sdformatter will. Transcend UHS1 class 10 is what I prefer and my Mobius likes them. YMMV.

Phil

Back