Any recommendations for hardwiring kit?

Check out the all new GUARDTRAK GTMUSBHW (new product/listing on Amazon launched today)
It's got the same quality power supply used in CELLPOWER / Street Guardian power supplies. It won't fail in extreme Cold/Heat like the cheap ones do. (very clean stable power supply)
UjSLsif.png

Hi all - I've recently grabbed two of the Viofo hardwire kits, and have already mounted the front camera up quite easily.

Problem is, the camera at the back of my GTi... the cable isn't long enough! How do I go about extending the mini USB (5 pin) cable to be able to reach? I'm essentially running it from the fuse box, up the A-pillar, along the side of the trim and to the back of the boot, as seen using this guide:

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-dash-cam-install/

I'm not in favour of extending something like that, which carries power as I'm certain if I pickup a $2 cheapo cable from eBay that it wont be rated properly for power handling. What are my options? Are there hardwire kits out there with 2/3/4m cable lengths?

Cheers.

don't extend the USB, extend the 12v power closer to the camera
How do you propose I do that? I actually have a 12V cigarette lighter in the boot which I currently use, but I would prefer it be hardwired directly - I've had too many "bumps" in the road which has caused the USB cables or power plug to be dislodged without me knowing. Tried different adapters, from the included ones to Belkin to no-names and others.

How do you propose I do that?

every car is different, not proposing which method you should use, not a fan of hardwiring using cig plug setups though, either way don't extend the USB as you're more likely to have issues with that

Last edited:
Hi all - I've recently grabbed two of the Viofo hardwire kits, and have already mounted the front camera up quite easily.

Problem is, the camera at the back of my GTi... the cable isn't long enough! How do I go about extending the mini USB (5 pin) cable to be able to reach? I'm essentially running it from the fuse box, up the A-pillar, along the side of the trim and to the back of the boot, as seen using this guide:

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-dash-cam-install/

I'm not in favour of extending something like that, which carries power as I'm certain if I pickup a $2 cheapo cable from eBay that it wont be rated properly for power handling. What are my options? Are there hardwire kits out there with 2/3/4m cable lengths?

Cheers.

Wondering this myself as I recently realized that my fuse box is in my trunk, next to my battery. Who designs this? Dodge apparently.

Wondering this myself as I recently realized that my fuse box is in my trunk, next to my battery. Who designs this? Dodge apparently.

Could be a re-hash of an Edsel design :ROFLMAO:

Phil

@OCD Tronic , what gauge wire does the GTMUSBHW have on the USB side? I'm considering buying one, but people have had flickering/rebooting problems with USB cables other than the included one due to thinner wire causing voltage drop. I guess you have probably tried this hardwire kit with an A119S yourself?

Thanks @jokiin

@mamarley that's the best info we have at the moment. (Same power supply as Street Guardian/CELLPOWER)

Last edited:
I decided to go ahead and buy a GTMUSBHW. I can confirm that it does work well with the A119s. I haven't tested it for a long time yet, but while I did test it the display did not flicker and there were no reboots. The wire is 24AWG, 2 smaller than the 22AWG wire in the stock cable. It doesn't seem to cause any problems though.

I decided to go ahead and buy a GTMUSBHW. I can confirm that it does work well with the A119s. I haven't tested it for a long time yet, but while I did test it the display did not flicker and there were no reboots. The wire is 24AWG, 2 smaller than the 22AWG wire in the stock cable. It doesn't seem to cause any problems though.

thanks for the feedback, cable was originally 28AWG but we upgraded that a while back

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gregorich A119S 37
K A119S 10
Back