Anybody do 3D projection mapping on their house?

Privateer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
RoadHawk DC3 (x1), RoadHawk HD2 (x3)
I've been meaning to learn how to projection map my house for Halloween for a few years now. I've been told that Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects are the best tools for the job. Unfortunately, the monthly subscription is extortionate. I keep meaning to learn both Premiere Pro and After Effects but as I haven't yet got the necessary short-throw projector that can cover the whole house I haven't invested in the time in learning the software. I'm not a fan of subscription software license as I'd prefer to buy outright.

In the Video editing software? thread, @joblessguru mentions Davinci Resolve which, is either free or bought for a one-off payment of £200, and is similar to Premiere Pro but also includes black magic fusion which is similar to After Effects. What do other people think to Davinci Resolve and has anybody used it for 3D projection mapping?

Here's an example of Halloween projection mapping that uses Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects:

NB Most of the animations are from AtmosFX but have been edited to fit the scene and the house.

Regards,

Once you know how to do it, it is a bit easier! (y)

The above video is by Dan Phillips, who has a YouTube channel called Phillips' Projections that show you how to do house projection mapping. Here's the first in the series:

You still need a very good projector to do your whole house, knowledge of the video editing software, digital decorations to use, and plenty of time.

Yeah though i have a tendency to make things more easy then they are in real life, then there are also times where i assume the opposite.

IF ! i was to win a little money and build my own little place ( house smaller than garage / workshop ) then i do have a few ideas out of the ordinary.

1: A very very tall flag pole here i would fly the skull and bones or any flag but the Danish one.
2: LED screen with public info, like "if you get in here with no invite i will mess you up and put you in a unmarked grave"
3: But some form of light spectacular might also be a idea, though i have modestly been thinking about motorized long range search lights sweeping the skies. ( but that could well be done in patterns )
4: Of course also a LED lit driveway,,,,, actually i think all of my property would be lit up at night, my driveway aside for the gate would also need automated barriers to stop vehicles that have gotten past the gate.

Probably no need to put projections on any buildings as they should not be able to be seen from public areas due to fences / walls and so on.

It is not that i am paranoid, in this day and age in this country i think it make sense, not least if you have things others would like to get their hands on.

Back