Video editing software?

WillL84

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR750S-2CH
What do you guys use for editing software and what camera/video settings do you use?

I've been using After Effects CS6 with my GoPro at 1080/60 and it's been flawless. Since I started using the DR750S-2CH I'm having nothing but problems when trying to stitch clips and make a video. The video itself is (mostly) fine, it's the audio I'm having trouble with. The audio will skip forward by a few seconds every 5-10 seconds then there's a long silent part from it skipping ahead. It doesn't matter if I import several clips and stitch them together or a single slip and export it as-is without doing anything to it (tried that just to see what would happen).

My default export settings have been QuickTime format and audio at 48kHz, 16 bit stereo. I've tried exporting in H.264, and MPEG4 with a variety of frame rate settings and nothing matters. I also notice that when I import a clip from my DR750S-2CH the composition says it's 62.5FPS. I've tried changing it to 60 and 59.94 (where the GoPro was always set to) and again it made zero difference. Now when I import a 30FPS clip AE does say 29.97FPS. If I just do a quick import/export with one of those it does the same. The audio skips and at the 2:03 mark (from a 3 minute clip) it goes silent because the audio kept skipping ahead.

Here's a sample clip. This is a 1080/60 clip (1 minute) and was exported with my usual settings (above). Nothing was done to this clip. I simply imported it and then exported it as a QT file. You'll see what I mean about the audio skipping. it skips at 0:08, 0:16, 0:24, 0:32 and then at 0:41 it goes silent.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Any ideas on other (free) software I could use instead? I make clips for my YT channel and I've got a decent backlog of clips now that I need to get compiled and edited and uploaded.

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
I use powerdirector 17 ultimate for mixing and cutting my videos, but i have never noticed any audio issues. ( not on this brand of camera )
The most comprehensive free piece of software got to be Davinci resolve
Are the audio okay in the raw files from the camera ?
And have you updated its firmware ?

joblessguru

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now, I know this thread is a few months old, but I wanted to chime in and leave my 2 cents. In case anyone looking for the same thing comes across this thread.

First off, I second Kamkar1 on the Davinci Resolve suggestion. Not only does it have the standard "premiere pro" editing interface, but it has black magic fusion (node-based motion graphics program - the technical equivalent to After Effects) built into it, as well as a full-fledged audio control system (Fairlight) and an insane set of filters and export/publishing functions. Not to mention the free version is fully functional and neither time-based lockout nor watermarked output.
The paid version is only 200 and removes the only limitation of the free (max number of prebuilt DaVinci effects allowed per clip... tho if you are willing to do the leg work and to learn the ins and outs of fusion, even the effects limitation of the free is not even remotely a hindrance.)

However, don't overlook Blender. An open source 3d modelling and rendering program like Maya, it has come a looong way in the area of video editing and special effects. Its probably the top contender with Davinci IMHO.

Another suggestion would be kDenLive. Built for Linux, but eventually also for Win. As for node based compositing software similar to Fusion and after effects there is Natron

Lastly, when searching the web for free editing software, try using the phrase "Open Source" instead of free... as "Free" is forever synonymous with marketing buzz words and Hook and Reel tactics (I know that's not a real tactic phrase. but I just made it one. :D

OP
WillL84

WillL84

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR750S-2CH
Ok update finally - I started toying with Premiere Pro CS6 and so far so good. The Blackvue footage is indeed 62.5FPS which is what I think was causing my problems with After Effects. I watched a bunch of YT tutorials and just successfully made my first video and it's perfect. I love having audio in the preview which never worked in AE. There's things I like better about PP and things I like better about AE. Also for AE I was exprting to a Quick Time MOV file to keep render times down but it resulted in huge files. I exported in MP4 from PP and the render time was way longer but the file size was WAY smaller.

Strange_Hitbox

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Another vote for Da Vinci Resolve. The non-"Studio" version is free and used by professional video producers who produced and work with 1080P resolution videos. I used to use Premiere Pro prior to discovering Da Vinci but can't go back to Premiere's garbage workflow and layout.

OP
WillL84

WillL84

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR750S-2CH
Another vote for Da Vinci Resolve. The non-"Studio" version is free and used by professional video producers who produced and work with 1080P resolution videos. I used to use Premiere Pro prior to discovering Da Vinci but can't go back to Premiere's garbage workflow and layout.
I'll have to check into that more. I'm not crazy about Premiere Pro so far but I haven't used it a ton. Similar to After Effects but different enough to be annoying lol

Strange_Hitbox

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'll have to check into that more. I'm not crazy about Premiere Pro so far but I haven't used it a ton. Similar to After Effects but different enough to be annoying lol
Yeah the only benefit to sticking with Premiere in that case is the ease of jumping back and forth between After Effects and Premiere within the same project. Otherwise Premiere's layout is pretty bad. Da Vinci does take a bit of time to learn, but if you stick with it you'll quickly find it to be intuitive.

OP
WillL84

WillL84

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR750S-2CH
Alright so I've been messing with Resolver 16 for a bit and it's pretty nice. Right off the bat the main layout is the same as Premiere Pro. One thing I'm not fond of is not being able to type in an exact value for things like audio. You HAVE to move the slider. If I want one channel to me say -10 I can't just click the number and type "-10". I have to drag the slider and try to get it right at -10. The other thing I don't like is you can't change the default font. It's ALWAYS times new roman at 128 size. This means every time you add a text box you have to manually change the font, size, stroke ,etc. Every. Time. I've asked around at some YT videos on tutorials and none of the pros know of a way to make things default. It'd be nice to be able to make a template and just load that template every time. There is templates but they refer to video speed, size, etc etc and not actual editing things.

Also occasionally whenever I'd render a video it'll render completely without sound or partially without sound. I'll have to restart the PC and reopen the project and then re-render it for it to work properly. I did update to 16.2.8.005 this morning though and so far so good.

All in all so far so good. I find it a lot easier to do things like pan/zoom, fade in/out etc in this than it was in After Effects. Thanks to everyone who suggested Resolve!

Last edited:

Vortex Radar

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you're a Mac user, FinalCut Pro is pretty excellent. I've been using it for years and am happy with it. Dashcam videos import and export just fine without weird audio skips. Sometimes certain dashcams may have a little gap between successive clips, but the files themselves play fine, regardless of resolution, frame rate, or codec.

I can also type in specific volume levels and create presets for text with different fonts, sizes, or effects like drop shadows.

It's priced at $300 and it's Mac only, but it otherwise works great.

Last edited: