Anyone created any custom high bitrate fw yet for the 0806?

Shanetrain

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Mini 0806, Mini 0801, MiVue 588, Sunty A7
See there is quite a few different variations of the Xiaomi Yi camera where its been custom modded to
30Mbps, wondering if anyone has done this for the mini.
It would be nice to have a 30Mbps 1080P :)

Thanks in advanced

I'd expect it would run too hot to be reliable, action cams typically only get used for short periods of time so less of an issue

Would be pretty neat, but I'm with Jokiin, you would be asking a lot of a camera packed in such a small form factor. It would get pretty warm unless all your drives are very short. Would be a cool idea for a small camera that didnt have an LCD screen though, replace the screen with a small fan to push air through it and keep it cool.

I don't think it needs 30Mb/s to store everything the sensor collects unless you have some very high speed motion and bright lighting. At an average of 20Mb/s it stays cool and produces sharp detailed images.

This is from a 20Mb/s average version of the March firmware, poor lighting with some rain on the glass, but no motion:

Tesco.jpg

But do you see improvement compared with the "standard" firmware and how is it performing when in motion?
And are you willing to share your custom firmware?

But do you see improvement compared with the "standard" firmware and how is it performing when in motion?
The March firmware seemed to have lost some detail and sharpness compared to the January firmware, not sure if it actually changed or if it was just the circumstances I used it in but it certainly wasn't an improvement. Because of that I am trying an increased bitrate version which is giving 20Mb/s average instead of 16. When in motion the images appear much the same as above but with the glass covered in drops of rain and blurred by the windscreen wipers! I'll report back when it's had a decent test in various conditions including checking camera temperature, until then I think it is reasonable to take the above image as a guide to what to expect. Operating temperature isn't an issue in UK springtime, for summer in death valley it would probably be best to keep the original and thus your warrantee!
And are you willing to share your custom firmware?
Not until I have given it a decent test.

Thanks Nigel, interested to see if its gets really hot or stability issues.

Now I did a bit of research and found this (Ambarella Firmware Toolbox) http://dc.p-mc.eu/tools/a7tool, is this the tool you used to make custom bitrate?

Thanks Nigel, interested to see if its gets really hot or stability issues.

Now I did a bit of research and found this (Ambarella Firmware Toolbox) http://dc.p-mc.eu/tools/a7tool, is this the tool you used to make custom bitrate?
I imagine you need to be a bit more careful than me since you are in Oz.

Yes, that's the tool to use. Assuming you are using 21:9 cinema mode then just change the first 4 "18" in the bitrate table to something a little higher. Keep that times the Range Max below 30. Search pattern #2.

Back