Anyone else excited about new Yi 2.7K King version for 2017?

JPack

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yi has finally launched a V2 follow up to their popular dashcam.

http://www.xiaoyi.com/yicarcam6/
http://www.xiaoyi.com/yicarcam6/specs.html

This new "King" version doubles the pixels to 2.7K (2688×1520) and uses H.265 encoding for 30% better compression.

It's available July 7 in China. Initial promo price is 379 RMB.

C15s@2x.png

C15@2x.png

Last edited:
don't like the big frontal "presence", dashcams should be as invisible as possible, they should know that by now...

don't like the big frontal "presence", dashcams should be as invisible as possible, they should know that by now...

I agree and I think the camera is intended for a Chinese audience. There's less of a security concern there and dash cams act as a visible deterrence against scammers. You see loud designs from Yi, Xiaomi, and 360.

I'd like to consider a Yi .. only i'd reckon they need to employ a serious Cam Designer who can design a Cam with some Style to replace the current one.
I take it ... it is all plastic ... Blimey ... obviously not for the western market.

Sorry ... it's a NO from me. Maybe the next model?

Last edited:
2.7k is fantastic, and likely the current sweet spot for dash cam use. the extra detail and pixels allows use of a wider field of view without losing and possibly even improving license plate clarity. time will tell how much night quality suffers as a result of the smaller pixel size.

i prefer other form factors, but i've certainly seen worse.

battery-powered is a mistake.

don't know why dash cams -- already a niche product -- waste their time with useless "features" like h265 and 60fps.

Yes, i think the way to go would have been with capacitor like our new SJDASH....

140 degrees FOV is a bit narrow for a 2.7K resolution camera, writing "super wide..." :cautious: sorry "super WDR optical lens" :confused: doesn't make it any wider!

Not excited by the H265 codec for a dashcam, I want AV1 instead.

Also too big to hide behind my rear view mirror and the thieves will take an interest in the fake carbon fibre and chrome.

I'd like to consider a Yi .. only i'd reckon they need to employ a serious Cam Designer who can design a Cam with some Style to replace the current one.

if you tell them you want more style they'll add some gold trim accents to bling it up a bit more ;)

Where can I order it from? I'm from the state but couldn't find anywhere to buy it from.

Back