Anyone having any issues with this camera?

wozzzzza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
im struggling to find anything major that is wrong with this camera. records fine, doesn't miss a beat, just a few little things but it does what it is meant to do fine. nice and clear video, good sound, good app, good wifi.
anyone got any issues with the recordings like not working all the time, recycling of old files etc..?

No mine is working fine too, so my only gripe is the form factor but that's entirely a personal thing.
I have not worked very much with the footage off the N5, as in editing the footage, this is where i generally notice things like missing or double frames.

Normally my approach are a bit more structured, but i am trapped in a slump in my life so many things are not getting done, even the most simple things :sleep:

There are no comments on the hardware. N5 works as it is supposed to. He tolerated the heat well and had no problems with work.
Well, the firmware needs to be brought to mind. And in order to have normal night photography, you need to implement HDR
on the front camera and be sure to increase the bitrate.

Yes the HDR in the rear camera, thats a bit strange, seeing as the rear camera are not the crown jewel in the system.

I wonder if @Jeff_Vantrue have a good reason why it is like that, TBH when i first saw it i figured " O someone misunderstood something and there is a error with the launch firmware "

About the only issue I've had so far is that the voice control would sometimes pick up on conversation and randomly trigger a response.

Like when my GPS says to turn left, the wifi on the camera would turn on/off

Also I've noticed random saved photos and locked video events either from normal conversation or the radio playing.

This happens a bit more often with the sensitivity setting on high as opposed to the low setting.

The tradeoff, however, is that the low setting won't pickup on MY voice as easily as medium or high.

Like when my GPS says to turn left, the wifi on the camera would turn on/off

Reminds of when a friend of mine discovered that his dog's barking would trigger the dictation software on his computer. Mostly, it was gibberish but sometimes the dog would write some pretty amusing stuff. :smuggrin:

The omni have voice commands, like Shoot left / Shoot right, i think the Shoot are chosen to remedy accidental recordings by the word turn, which i would assume often are said when English speakers use navigation.

A few days ago, a person in the car to my Right was looking, so i nonchalant turned my head left looking out the window, while i said Shoot Right, and instantly the omni could be heard panning right.
I have not checked the recording yet, but as the omni are also mounted offset to the right in my car, A pillar do take up a lot when it film to the side.

Besides that plastic button cap which fell off, the device it's working very good and it has endured some very hot days.
Of course, there must be done some adjustments. A Starvis 2 without HDR on main camera it's a nonsense and some better implantation for parking modes because it's a very power hungry dashcam.

Where i live it hasn't gotten hot enough yet to say it handles heat.

I really enjoy this unit. 4 camera is very useful for me.

Some things that need to be looked into:
Windscreen angle adjustment needs to have a greater angle
The echo image at night with headlights can at first make you think something else is on the road and moving.
Sharper image and better contrast when in IR mode.
The unit is very large and difficult to fit to a normal sedan eg Camry.
When the Dashcam is removed you have to check the position of the lenses as the adapter moves easily.
I'm sure i can think of other things but as i said I'm enjoying using this unit.

I'm sure i can think of other things but as i said I'm enjoying using this unit.
Very nice demo video.
Instead of blurring everyone's face.
Can you make them all wear beards? lol
That's the solution I came up with for testing interior cams.

Where i live it hasn't gotten hot enough yet to say it handles heat.

I really enjoy this unit. 4 camera is very useful for me.

Some things that need to be looked into:
Windscreen angle adjustment needs to have a greater angle
The echo image at night with headlights can at first make you think something else is on the road and moving.
Sharper image and better contrast when in IR mode.
The unit is very large and difficult to fit to a normal sedan eg Camry.
When the Dashcam is removed you have to check the position of the lenses as the adapter moves easily.
Also being in Australia myself, I'm also wondering how it's going to hold up when summer hits. I know it's a different model with the N4 Pro, but the internal temperature read-outs of 100/110 degrees Celsius has me concerned - no wonder there are vents on the device. When it's 45C outside and 60C inside the car, and you come back to it after a day out at the shops, it's certainly going to be interesting.

Also being in Australia myself, I'm also wondering how it's going to hold up when summer hits. I know it's a different model with the N4 Pro, but the internal temperature read-outs of 100/110 degrees Celsius has me concerned - no wonder there are vents on the device. When it's 45C outside and 60C inside the car, and you come back to it after a day out at the shops, it's certainly going to be interesting.

I was struck by @98 SNAKE EATER's comment about how heavy the camera is. I'm surmising that might be because it may have a good sized, hefty heat sink built onto the PCB/processor. That could mean that Vantrue actually put some thought and effort into building a camera that can handle a higher heat environment, so I'm interested in hearing reports from testers and reviewers.

Appears to be solid build quality and feels like it weighs more than all of my other Dash Cams combined

I was struck by @98 SNAKE EATER's comment about how heavy the camera is. I'm surmising that might be because it may have a good sized, hefty heat sink built onto the PCB/processor. That could mean that Vantrue actually put some thought and effort into building a camera that can handle a higher heat environment, so I'm interested in hearing reports from testers and reviewers.
Could be the case but also has to power the display hence the bigger heatsink to accommodate for that. Not disputing what you say, but honestly wish Novatek would do better with their processors and make a newer architecture so they could run cooler :/

Could be the case but also has to power the display hence the bigger heatsink to accommodate for that. Not disputing what you say, but honestly wish Novatek would do better with their processors and make a newer architecture so they could run cooler :/

I'm speculating based on hearing the camera is very heavy so there's really nothing to dispute. There will be a number of factors that will affect how heat resistant the N5 will ultimately be and I'm curious to see how that goes.

As for Novatek, it's probably harder than it may seem to keep chips cooler, the more you increase their performance, speed and features.

I'm speculating based on hearing the camera is very heavy so there's really nothing to dispute. There will be a number of factors that will affect how heat resistant the N5 will ultimately be and I'm curious to see how that goes.

As for Novatek, it's probably harder than it may seem to keep chips cooler, the more you increase their performance, speed and features.
Just baffling to me that they can do it for cell phone processors and other applications in-car too, but yet not with dashcams. Then again, I'm no engineer, so what do I know haha

Just baffling to me that they can do it for cell phone processors and other applications in-car too, but yet not with dashcams. Then again, I'm no engineer, so what do I know haha

People keep trying to compare cell phone camera technology and dash camera technology but I've concluded that we can't do that. Not only are cell phones and dash cameras two different animals but the technological sophistication and cost of the two different devices are magnitudes apparent. One is basically a consumer gadget and the other is a full fledged computing device. Cell phone processors are also not subjected to running their video cameras for many hours at a time in a challenging automotive environment.

There is a file with temperature readings for the N5 processor.
True, it wasn’t very hot outside.

Last edited:
There is a file with temperature readings for the N4 Pro processor. According to my observations, the N4 Pro heats up a little less than the N5.

There is a file with temperature readings for the N5 processor.
True, it wasn’t very hot outside.
There is a file with temperature readings for the N4 Pro processor. According to my observations, the N4 Pro heats up a little less than the N5.

I'm still wondering about the heat sinks and whether either camera has one and how substantial they may be. For years here on the forum I've been advocating for the use of heat sinks in dash cams, especially heavier more beefy ones like those used in CCTV cameras. Most dash cams I've torn down or opened up over the years have none or only the most minimal attempts to transfer heat away from the main processor other than ventilation. As I recall, the first camera I saw that used an actual cast aluminum heat sink in a dash cam was from Viofo. With the advent of 4K cameras we are seeing greater use of better heat sinking in cameras and this is a good trend.

Back