Anyone having any issues with this camera?

so far jsut waiting on the next firmware update to fix a few little things before i can really do much more testing, so far its appearing this is a solid reliable camera im recommending to others.

I'm still liking the N5, just the rear camera focus is really starting to bother me. I think it's focusing on the window/electrostatic sticker, instead of items outside. See the reflection here of an item inside my car ... that is in focus, but the car behind me is not. Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 08.52.59.png

Was the electrostatic sticker to be used in/on the rear screen? I’ve seen instructions for front camera use but not the rear.
I know focus is starting to become an issue but is it not best to have focus close up as that will be the point of impact, not 20 meters back.

Was the electrostatic sticker to be used in/on the rear screen? I’ve seen instructions for front camera use but not the rear.

That's a good point : I re-read the user manual, and indeed there is no mention of electro-sticker for the rear. However, the user manual states "Installing the Electrostatic Stickers" (plural), wich suggests that both are to be used.
I also apply it on the rear... :-(

Here is one more comment after over 1 month of usage :
The main marketed feature (10s recording before incident) is useless as of today : it draws too much current
I've suggested an additional feature earlier (an option to fallback after X hours to collision detection) first here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/vantrue-n5-4ch-dash-camera-test-review-rcg.48930/post-599775 and now here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/vantrue-nexus-5-improvement-wish-list.49268/

In addition, I spotted a strong limitation of the hardware power kit :
I've got an hybrid car with no real 12V battery (a part of the hybrid battery is used instead). Consequence : the voltage will not drop in a linear way, and the voltage level do not reflect the charging level.
--> I got "out of current" (car "dead") while experimenting the "quick start collision mode" after just 2 days, while the hybrid battery level was still at 20% .
==> this is kind of warning for hybrid cars owners : if your car do not have real 12V battery, the the "low power detection" may not work. Worth mentionning it in the kit user manual, @Jeff_Vantrue ?

Last edited:
That's a good point : I re-read the user manual, and indeed there is no mention of electro-sticker for the rear. However, the user manual states "Installing the Electrostatic Stickers" (plural), wich suggests that both are to be used.
I also apply it on the rear... :-(
I went ahead and removed the sticker. I'll post back after a few drives to see if there's any noticeable difference. But from my initial setup using the app, the picture still looked out of focus.

I'm still liking the N5, just the rear camera focus is really starting to bother me. I think it's focusing on the window/electrostatic sticker, instead of items outside. See the reflection here of an item inside my car ... that is in focus, but the car behind me is not. View attachment 68330
I've been having focus issues with the N4 Pro as well. It has nothing to do with heat cos it happens when the car has been left off overnight.

I see your point but I think that is the English language.

I know focus is starting to become an issue but is it not best to have focus close up as that will be the point of impact, not 20 meters back.
It is impossible to recognize license plates on a vehicle moving behind you further than 5 meters. So?
Let's consider this situation:
A car moves behind you and at a distance of 10 meters changes lanes and begins to overtake you.
While overtaking, the overtaking car for some reason makes a side collision with your car,
the driver steps on the gas and the car disappears in an unknown direction.
There are no witnesses. There are no recorded numbers of the person responsible for the accident in the video.
What's the use of your expensive DVR = 0.0. :(

Sounds like a typical after dark situation.

Which wipes out the, “ Car disappears in unknown direction”.

Due to the lack of a license plate on the video, it will be difficult to prove anything.

I got an issue from the beginning : unable to play front video from within the app.
I just find an "explaination" : the app is unable to replay recording above 1080p (the "play" button is replaced by a warning symbol) on my Redmi Note 11 Pro.
Am I the only one with this issue (nobody reported it) ?

Last edited:
I got an issue from the beginning : unable to play front video from within the app.
I just find an "explaination" : the app is unable to replay recording above 1080p (the "play" button is replaced by a warning symbol) on my Redmi Note 11 Pro.
Am I the only one with this issue (nobody reported it) ?
Haven't had this issue replicated on my Nexus 4 Pro. The app does have issues with certain things though so I'm not surprised.

Back