Are the majority of 0803 owners happy?

Muth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini 0803
Hi Guys,

I've had my eye on the forum for a little while, and fancy the 0803 dashcam because of it's physical design foremost, discreet fitting, and it's relatively economical price.

There are a lot of posts that grumble that clarity to read a number plate (license plate) is poor, whilst others are not completely chuffed with the mount being solid enough, and one poster has questioned operating temperatures being apparently very high.

Personally I think there's little point in exceeding 1080p and I'm not interested in GPS (because I have a heated front windscreen/windshield) but I do want a video event recorded that's clear and free of hassle, which can record voice audio if I need to "shout out" details of another driver - and that is removable when the car's parked up.

Is there any advantage to the 0803 over the 0801, and which is the better buy right now (taking into account whatever "best firmwares" is available for each) is the question I find myself asking ...

I've never owned a dashcam but have had a good look at all the available options, and was prompted to do so because I've had my door mirror taken out twice and have been reversed into by another driver during the past 12 months (and in two of these cases the other party didn't stop and I ended up having to foot the considerable repair costs myself...)

Any help in deciding which model would be best will be gratefully received!

According to your needs, and if you have no needs of GPS, I would suggest the new A118.
Better licence plates reading than 0803 and 0801, for exactly the same viewing angle as 0803.

Okay, thanks for that - so I read some of your other posts on that model, and it appears you suffered battery overheating and failure within a short time of purchase.

There's very little on the web about the A118 and no vendors I can find within the EU (don't want to pay import duty if I can avoid it...)

Just for the record... "moi, je parle Français comme une vache espagnole..." :p

There's very little on the web about the A118 and no vendors I can find within the EU (don't want to pay import duty if I can avoid it...)

if you bought it within the EU someone else would have paid duty on it and it would increase in price accordingly

if you bought it within the EU someone else would have paid duty on it and it would increase in price accordingly

Yes, Someone paid already but still account on the end customer.

If buy from China and the goods value on parcel under $10, none need to pay custom fee or duty.
But that will take 2 or 3 weeks on the way.

Yep, I understand regards duties, but I also understand it's illegal for a recipient to enter into an arrangement whereby the value of the goods is deceitfully declared as they are classed as the importer and are culpable for tax evasion if doing so....

The thread's going a little off topic though. It's the 0803 versus the 0801 camera's I'm interested in, and I can source both of these in the UK without needing to import either, and the wholesalers will have originally legally paid far less duty on a bulk order basis than an individual who is ordering a quantity of one from China or the USA... ;)

I really just wanted opinion on the 0801-v-0803 units...

Customers who have bought either the Mini 0801 and Mini 0803 from us have given great reviews on our site both dash cams. It really is the difference between if you want to pay slightly more for better night quality for the Mini 0803.

Take a look at our reviews to have a better idea:
www.blackboxed.ca/products/mini-0803
www.blackboxed.ca/products/mini-0801

Kelvin

I returned mine it stopped working after about 3 weeks was disappointed with the picture quality i may try the 0801 to see how it goes.

I returned mine it stopped working after about 3 weeks was disappointed with the picture quality i may try the 0801 to see how it goes.
If you are not pleased with 0803, you won't be pleased with 0801.
Try A118 instead.

Does E-Prance have a official eBay store, and also do class 10 cards work in the 0803 or are people having issues?

Thanks i will check it out. Any recommended retailers?
Foxoffer, but you will probably have to pay some customs. Anyway it will be cheaper than Joovuu

Hi Guys,

I've had my eye on the forum for a little while, and fancy the 0803 dashcam because of it's physical design foremost, discreet fitting, and it's relatively economical price.

There are a lot of posts that grumble that clarity to read a number plate (license plate) is poor, whilst others are not completely chuffed with the mount being solid enough, and one poster has questioned operating temperatures being apparently very high.

Personally I think there's little point in exceeding 1080p and I'm not interested in GPS (because I have a heated front windscreen/windshield) but I do want a video event recorded that's clear and free of hassle, which can record voice audio if I need to "shout out" details of another driver - and that is removable when the car's parked up.

Is there any advantage to the 0803 over the 0801, and which is the better buy right now (taking into account whatever "best firmwares" is available for each) is the question I find myself asking ...

I've never owned a dashcam but have had a good look at all the available options, and was prompted to do so because I've had my door mirror taken out twice and have been reversed into by another driver during the past 12 months (and in two of these cases the other party didn't stop and I ended up having to foot the considerable repair costs myself...)

Any help in deciding which model would be best will be gratefully received!
Overall its good performer ( vs price ) in case you will get "lucky batch". However some firmware and built issues has to be yet solved.

Have you considered a situation that this may happend while your car is parked as well ? ( read below ) ;)

If yes, then non of battery based dashcams are good for you. Look for dashcams with supercaps and 24/7 parking mode.

@ yours:

I've had my door mirror taken out twice and have been reversed into by another driver during the past 12 months (and in two of these cases the other party didn't stop and I ended up having to foot the considerable repair costs myself...)

Foxoffer, but you will probably have to pay some customs. Anyway it will be cheaper than Joovuu

It will be but then the Chinese retailers do not have this:

20% of the product price has to go to the government
20% of the profit also has to go to the government

In China you then get tax breaks for selling abroad. So no it isn't as cheap; please go to China where it is cheaper but do not complain when your local businesses go bust because you wanted to size £5. We cannot compete with China on price - but our customer service has an incredibly good reputation.

This argument that people think we are more expensive because we want to make more is a joke. Literally we laugh when people send us a link in China and say if you match their price I will buy from you. We all laugh. In China they make more money than we do. We make a couple of quid off each sale. So in fact you are giving more money to the Chinese than to us. It's quite funny really that essentially by you personally saving a couple of pounds you are contributing to the downfall of local small businesses believing we are trying to line our pockets more when in fact we make so much less than the Chinese.

Hi,
JooVuu.com has just price dropped the mini 0803s.

The price for no internal memory and GPS is now £71.
We are by far now the lowest price European seller. We are slightly more expensive than China but you have the following positives:
- UK Support
- UK Returns
- Supporting a local small business.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Last edited by a moderator:
- Supporting a local small business.
Kind regards,
JooVuu
I always try to buy goods made (or grown) in the UK, I've had "discussions" with salemen about it when they try to fob off my questions about where something was made. I realise that it is very often not possible to buy British made good and therefore will try to buy from British retailers.

However, especially on Ebay, when you think you are buying from a UK supplier it often turns out that you are not.

Shall I look forward to you stocking the new Innovv C3?

Frank

I always try to buy goods made (or grown) in the UK, I've had "discussions" with salemen about it when they try to fob off my questions about where something was made. I realise that it is very often not possible to buy British made good and therefore will try to buy from British retailers.

However, especially on Ebay, when you think you are buying from a UK supplier it often turns out that you are not.

Shall I look forward to you stocking the new Innovv C3?

Frank

Hi Frank,
Rest assured all of our goods are shipped from Stockport, UK. We will be stocking the Innovv C3 yes. Thank you for your support.

Kind regards,

JooVUu

I never really posted here to get advice on import duties as these camera's are so widely available from UK & EU sources, but heigh-ho...

Bought an 0803 from Combi-UK for a very reasonable deal, with a Class VI Samsung 32Gb micro SD card, and the hard-wiring kit included.

1) Initial observations are that the video is a little on the dark side, and clarity of fine detail is slightly under par, but I haven't played with the exposure bias settings yet...

2) It runs pretty hot, and as a lot of others are saying, there's nothing in the preloaded FW to turn off sounds...

3) The motion sensor function does not seem to work at all...

4) GPS does not work at all behind a Ford heated front windscreen, no matter now long I'm behind the wheel... but that said I had to use a radio aeriel with a GPS base to get my Sat' Nav' in a Clarion head unit to work reliably in the same vehicle...

5) The mount, whilst hyper-convenient for quick removal and insertion, has a little play in it which is slightly annoying...

Perhaps reflashing the firmware and playing with some of the settings will conquer the slightly dark video issues, motion detection, and perhaps even the GPS reception too. I will also take a better look at what other users here say they find the optimal settings are.

Another observation is that it's a shame there is no dedicated push button for locking the currently recording file in case of a road hazard.

I'm pretty sure that it would benefit from a cradle to allow me to custom mount it below my rear view mirror, and support the underside to negate the play in the factory mount. It's something I can knock up from sheet and tube aluminium in the workshop when I've got a spare afternoon.

Back