Are there any 2k or 4k dashcams?

kwolf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm looking for a dashcam with a resolution above 1920x1080p and decent bitrate recording. Most 1080p dashcam video I've seen seems to be lacking in detail where US style plate numbers are barely legible unless they're just a few feet away, especially with the more wide angled lenses. My current cameras are the Mini 0806 which actually records pretty decent detail at the 2560x1080 resolution (modded firmware for 28mbit CBR recording) and a knockoff Viofo A118C from Gearbest which has average quality. The main reasons I want to upgrade are reliability problems. The Mini occasionally will lock up with no audible warning and the Viofo has a microphone issue where it only records 1 second of audio every 15 seconds or so. I'm pretty sick of reliability problems with these cams and I want something I can actually rely on. I'll probably replace the Mini and keep the Viofo for a rear camera since the mic isn't as important there.

My criteria are (in order of importance)
-2560x1080, 2560x1440, or 3860x2160 resolution with at least 30fps and 25mbit bitrate (x264 or HEVC encoding)
-Reliable, can't be known for freezing up randomly with no warning
-Capacitor
-"Parking mode" (ideally without a hardwire kit, but either is fine)
-$250 or less

You could consider a GitUp F1. With modified firmware it is possible to record 4k30fps 100Mbps, without any lockups or reliability issues.
Sample video : https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/f1-firmware.31818/post-436379

I'm using the 160deg lens, but there is also a 90deg version available that will give you even better number plate visibility on a smaller FOV.

There's no parking mode though, and no capacitor option yet.

The other downside is that the lens is relatively slow at F2.8, so motion blur is higher than other dashcams. GitUp are apparently working on a faster lens more suitable for dashcam use.

Viofo A119 or A119 Pro are options that meet your specification.

No really good 4K cameras yet, if you want that level of detail and good night vision then you need two cameras, one having a narrow field of view lens. Doesn't need to cost more than a single 4K camera!

There is a very expensive new dashcam which touts it's 4K capability, but when you compare it's videos to other cams, you will see some 1080P/1440P cams are much better. Good vids have as much to do with firmware, lenses, and bitrates as with anything else. But even the best struggle with consistent plate capture, and in some cases any better plate capture comes with some degradation of other video qualities. Every cam is a compromise of sorts but you can now get more of what you want most than ever before, and at good prices too.

Right now I think the best dashcam one can have at this price would be the A119 or A119 Pro using one of the Modified firmwares which are being developed in their own threads here on DCT. The single-channel A129 should also be considered. You'll need to choose which version of firmware you want carefully, as some have been unstable and some are not well suited for every condition. But the results these folks have been getting with these cams is phenomenal, and while the stock firmware is quite good, these are much better and that is what makes these cams stand out above the others. A "wedge-cam" won't work well for me, but if I could afford it I'd be ordering one of these cams immediately simply because they can do such good vids, and that is my largest want from my cams after reliability.

Phil

You could consider a GitUp F1.

The image quality in this is amazing! Exactly what I'm looking for as far as image quality goes, and the price isn't bad either. Though without a capacitor version I worry I'd end up replacing the battery quite often. The temperature inside my vehicle has hit almost 80C when parked in the summer sun. Motion detection is something I'd want if there's no parking mode (I read they're working on motion detection, but no ETA). That way I can leave the camera constantly powered but not worry about destroying my SD card or overwriting everything.

Viofo A119 or A119 Pro are options that meet your specification.

The A119 Pro looks like my best bet as far as a balance between quality and other features goes. Do you know if I can use my 256GB Samsung MicroSD card? I keep reading it supports up to 128 but not sure if that's still the case.

The image quality in this is amazing! Exactly what I'm looking for as far as image quality goes, and the price isn't bad either. Though without a capacitor version I worry I'd end up replacing the battery quite often.
One day someone might make a capacitor wedge dashcam using the same 4k sensor and a faster lens :)

Back