At Full Discharge, Does Thinkware iVolt Mini Go to a True 0% Charge?

AEMontoya

Reaction score
Country
United States
When the Thinkware iVolt Mini is allowed to fully discharge, does it reach a true 10.0 V (i.e., 0% charge)? Or does the iVolt mini have a BMS that cuts the voltage off at, say, 12.5 V?

I ask, because my understanding is that LiFePO4 batteries (LiFe) degrade significantly when they are discharged below around 15%. I wonder if Thinkware uses the term "0%" or "full discharge" to mean as low as their BMS allows for, rather than the true capacity of the LieFe battery.

Below is a chart that shows the number of cycles LiFe batteries typically get when discharged and charged on a daily basis, as a function of the minimum (and maximum) voltages that they see. In light of these figures, I would hope that the iVolt mini has a BMS that cuts off power at around 12.5 V (~15%) not 10.0 V (~0%).

Assuming that the iVolt Mini does in fact fully discharge to 0% (10.0 V), then I guess I could use the cut off voltage of my dashcam (at the expense of parking mode recording time, of course). The U1000 dashcam that I have provides a max cut off voltage of 12.3 V, which I believe actually cuts power when it sees 12.2 V for a minimum of 5 minutes (strange how that is setup). I guess that's the closest I could get with the U1000, unless I use timed cut off, which doesn't have very high resolution: 3h, 6h, 12h, 24h, 48h, 72h (if I recall correctly). Perhaps, depending on the ambient temperature, health of the battery, etc., one of these timed shutoff values--such as the 12h one--would more or less line up with a healthy cutoff voltage. Oy vey.

While on the subject, does anyone know the max charge state of the iVolt mini? Again, based on the chart, I would hope it's not above 13.2 V. I know from talking with a rep for Antigravity car starter batteries, that their LiFe batteries are regulated by their onboard BMS to max at 13.2 V and min at 12.5 V, which is just in line with the below chart.

BTW, I called Thinkware to find out this information. The rep said they did not know the answer and that they would have to do testing. I find that hard to believe.

Cycle Life vs Voltage.jpg

Back