Austin - Lidar

dklein

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
LK-7950wd
This was from last week and the timing is impeccable since my buddy called just as I was hit by a lidar gun from a cop. I couldn't say hello. I wasn't speeding at the time by my buddy knows I have laser jammers installed and he knows how I drive so he proceeds to tell me to slow down. Hehe.

Makes ya feel safe, doesn't it? Stopping and fleecing motorists who've committed civil infractions that harmed no one. /steps off soapbox

Have you had the jammer go off where you KNEW you were exceeding the speed limit, and they didn't pull you over?

Yes. I about pissed myself on this one. Doing 87 in 75 and they would have pulled me over for it. You hear the Alp go off first and since he did not get a reading right away, he probably drifted his gun upwards and hit the radar detector.

This was with the mini 806 that did have an audio hummmm issue.

...motorists who've committed civil infractions that harmed no one. /steps off soapbox...
<stepping on soapbox>
<start sarcasm>

Right, it should be OK for anyone to do anything if they personally feel it's safe to do so - regardless of what the law says.

<end sarcasm>
<stepping off soapbox>

I don't have an issue with people being cited for driving recklessly or in an unsafe manner.

It's when cops set up speed enforcement in such a way as to target drivers who clearly pose no risk to anyone, and are driving with the flow of traffic. Usually, at points where drivers are most likely to be nabbed... Where speed limits abruptly drop, hiding behind structures.

Why? If the name of this game is safety, why not put up signs indicating active speed enforcement ahead? Or put cops out in the open to discourage bad driving.

A few years ago I was cited for blinking my headlights as I warned oncoming traffic of a speed trap I'd just passed. Why? If the goal is to slow people down and make the roads "safer", my actions HELP enforcement efforts. But I think we know what the motivating factor is...

Holding a sign that reads "SLOW DOWN: SPEED TRAP AHEAD" on the side of the road has lead to sign holders being arrested. Why? The answer to that question is why I made my initial soapbox comment - because it has nothing to do with safety...

I don't have an issue with people being cited for driving recklessly or in an unsafe manner. ..
A few years ago I was cited for blinking my headlights as I warned oncoming traffic of a speed trap I'd just passed. ...
Had you not warned them they would potentially have been cited. A much better long term solution than you alerting them and having them avoid the penalty for doing something illegal.

It seems to me that your philosophy and your actions are at odds.

Not at all. I don't see speeding - especially when all vehicles are traveling at a similar speed - to be a danger, or inherently unsafe.

Further, I don't know which approaching vehicle, if any, is actually exceeding the speed limit. It is just a general heads up, there is a danger ahead. That in and of itself gets traffic to pay attention and increase their situational awareness. That is hardly at odds with what I'm saying.

Further, a cop who hides in the bushes, and then pops out to give one driver a ticket and then retreats to his hiding spot, does nothing for safety. On the other hand, having a cop visible (or someone flashing their lights to indicate a cop is present) will slow down hundreds of cars instantly.

One generates revenue. The other doesn't.

Your laser jammers are legal in Texas?
Would you be happier if the cops detained all of the speeders in the 'flow' and made them wait hours while they wrote them tickets

No, jammers are not legal in Texas and neither is speeding :)

The average American commits three felonies by dinner time, every single day. So before casting stones, make sure you're above average.

My whole point is that victimless crimes - crimes where no one suffers any harm or loss - are nothing more than a money grab. If you cannot see that speed enforcement has absolutely nothing to do with safety, then nothing I will say will convince you otherwise.

My whole point is that victimless crimes - crimes where no one suffers any harm or loss - are nothing more than a money grab. If you cannot see that speed enforcement has absolutely nothing to do with safety, then nothing I will say will convince you otherwise.
And if you can't see that some activities have to be restricted or limited because of the potential for harm (speed limits being just one example) then nothing I say will convince you otherwise either.

I now consider this discussion ended.

If we want to punish people for things that might harm people, then let's pile on the laws. On the other hand, if we'd rather punish crimes that actually harm people, we could stand to remove about 80% of the laws. Our prisons are full of people convicted for crimes that harmed no one.

The freedom of individuals verbally to oppose or challenge police action without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a policestate." -- The U.S. Supreme Court, June 15, 1987
That ship has sailed long ago.

You are correct, you wont convince me...or 50 other states for that matter.

In 2011, there were 32,367 fatalities on our nation's roadways, of which 9,944 were speeding-related (http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/speedmgt/)
9,944 dead people in a year, to include men, women and children. That does NOT include serious life altering injuries such as being confined to a wheelchair for life, or being turned into a vegetable. The number climbed to 10,219 deaths attributed to speeding in 2012. For a victimless crime... there appear to be a whole lot of victims....

The freedom of individuals verbally to oppose or challenge police action without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a policestate." -- The U.S. Supreme Court, June 15, 1987
There is a big difference between this and failure to abide by or adhere to the law. If you want to use court decisions to buttress your case show me one where a court, in any jurisdiction, has ruled that it's permissible to ignore valid legislation simply because you disagree with it and violation is a 'victimless' offense.

There is a big difference between this and failure to abide by or adhere to the law. If you want to use court decisions to buttress your case show me one where a court, in any jurisdiction, has ruled that it's permissible to ignore valid legislation simply because you disagree with it and violation is a 'victimless' offense.

I thought you were done, but ok. Jury nullification. The right to a "jury of your peers" penned by the founders of our Constitution was intended as a check against ever-encroaching government regulation. A jury can find that, yes, a defendant violated a specific code or statute, but still find him not guilty (acquittal) as a form of protest. When enough juries nullify enough verdicts, it sends a strong message to government (the legislators) that the specific laws are unneeded.

Unfortunately, while SCOTUS has absolutely affirmed a jurors right to nullify ANY verdict without the threat of repercussion by the judicial system, judges routinely deny a jury's right to know about nullification, and instruct jurors that if they find the defendant has broken the law, the MUST find them guilty. People outside the courthouse steps distributing pamphlets regarding nullification have been arrested (though ultimately charges dismissed) for 'jury tampering'.

So, when a jury decides to vote 'not guilty', and acquits a defendant despite there being overwhelming evidence they did break the law, does it draw attention as a nullification? Or, does it just go down as a loss for the prosecution? Thus, it is difficult to determine how many times 'guilty' individuals were acquitted because the jury felt the law as unjust or unfair. One thing is certain - when a DA or prosecutor consistently begins to lose cases that should be slam-dunks, they stop prosecuting them.

Look, I'm not debating the need for policing. Clearly there are people who put everyone at risk, and cause crashes. Those people should be prosecuted for the harm they cause - not harm the might cause. Driving while on the cell phone may cause distracted driving, which may cause a crash. Yet, we create laws to prevent people from using the phone while driving.

Studies show that there is no larger distraction for a driver than screaming kids in the back seat. If that is the case, why not make that illegal? Why not make changing the A/C or radio illegal? Or shut down all drive-thrus... Or [fill in the blank]

Citing statistics that 30% of crash fatalities 'involved' speeding is a red-herring. So what. A drunk driving the wrong way on the interstate may also be speeding, but when he crashes, it likely had nothing to do with the crash. Using that logic, we could also say that 100% of fatal car crashes involved cars. Speed may be involved, but not be the cause. Again, punish those that crash, that are reckless, that cause other drivers to have to take evasive action to avoid an accident. But going after people who might cause an accident borders on Minority Report pre-crime.

Very simple libertarian principle. If it causes harm to others, prosecute. If there is no victim, there is no crime. But that wouldn't be good for the status quo, or the fact that American prisons have more prisoners than the rest of the world's countries COMBINED.

We are all here to entertain ourselves so lets not get so serious about political rights and wrongs.

In Algeria if you get stopped for speeding, you'll loose your license for 3 months on the first offense.... period. I'm glad I don't live there :)

Back